Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    I liked it.
    Well, statistically, someone had to.

I kid, I kid. But I do agree that it's not controversial. In fact, it's kind of a footnote to the character that quickly got swept away by the Civil War broom. The Unmasking is much more controversial than the Other.

I feel that having Peter eat Morlun to death was controversial. That one single page is possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in a Spider-Man comic. Right up there with Norman's O-Face and beyond, imho.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I feel that having Peter eat Morlun to death was controversial. That one single page is possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in a Spider-Man comic. Right up there with Norman's O-Face and beyond, imho.
    When he plucked the eye?

The character assassination of Gwen Stacy the patron saint of all that is good dead girlfriends and the fact that marvel has not retconned that mistake is beyond me.
    Cyclops was right.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    When he plucked the eye?
    Yep, thats the one. Truly disgusting that Peter did that, and I don't care that he was temporarily a spidery dude thing.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Ι do not consider the former as a controversial moment and as for the latter, did you bothered to read my post before replying? It's controversial moment number seven. Please read the post carefully before replying.
    Harry doing drugs was controversial at the time because the comics authority code didn't allow people to include stuff like that in comics

Quote Originally Posted by Randumbz View Post
    Harry doing drugs was controversial at the time because the comics authority code didn't allow people to include stuff like that in comics
    It was to midly presented.
    In that department i consider this a controversial moment....
    http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=green+...9,r:0,s:0,i:82

There was controversy surrounding ASM #36 Vol. 2, the 9/11 issue. Some felt it was heavy-handed and the inclusion of villains on-scene and portrayed as sympathetic was out of character.

Pete finding out that Gwen banged Norman should have been important. It should have lead to one of the best character arcs for Pete. However nothing became of it presumably to keep status quo and it was simply forgotten.

1. Spider-Man and Power-Pack from the early 80s, everything else falls way short, Sins Past is like a 0.8 in the Spider-Man and Power-Pack scale, OMD, a 0.6, Harry on drugs was highly controversial during its day, but a 0.2 on the SM&PP scale by today's standards...

I'd probably say:
    OMD
    Sins Past
    Unmasking
    Return of Aunt May
    Return of Norman
    Ben Reilly
    Gwen's death
    Harry on Drugs

are the most controversial storylines. I think USM annual #3 had the potential, but BMB played it too safe.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Well, statistically, someone had to.

I kid, I kid. But I do agree that it's not controversial. In fact, it's kind of a footnote to the character that quickly got swept away by the Civil War broom. The Unmasking is much more controversial than the Other.
    Yeah, never said anything about it being controversial. Ha. I think One More Day was just yanking my chain.

the episode of spider-man and his amazing friends where wolverine had an australian accent was pretty controversial within my group of friends.

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    I was shocked when I read the Sins Past arc.
    Agreed.

I'm all for stories that grip the reader with something new and interesting and challenge the protagonist, but anyone who knows anything about Spider-Man should have known that the main arc of Sins Past should not have been done. Ever.
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by Xal View Post
    Pete finding out that Gwen banged Norman should have been important. It should have lead to one of the best character arcs for Pete. However nothing became of it presumably to keep status quo and it was simply forgotten.
    I agree with this. I liked the story arc because I felt - rather than destroying the reputation of the 'holy virgin Gwen' - it humanized her.

Gwen making that mistake with Norman (of all people) is just like real life. Norman is the ultimate obsessive, ego driven manipulative psychopath, and -- contrary to what a lot of people like to believe (kids?) -- sweet innocent feminine girls are very *often* the perfect prey for exactly these kinds of guys.

However, there seems to be this consensus among people that Gwen was best left with Virgin Mary status:

The pure, unsullied, clean and untouchable Perfect Girl from Heaven.

I can see that point of view, and its understandably a controversial arc, but I thought JMS did a great job with it.
    Last edited by Von; 11-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.