Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

In his writing, I haven't seen a team book where he's been able to let every character shine yet. There's one star, and a lot of hangers-on. This worked well in Iron Man, where the book is clearly about Tony Stark, but it really made his Uncanny X-Men run go off the rails, when it became all about neo-conservative Cyclops and the rest of the mutant wallpaper.

Previously fleshed out characters like Emma Frost were relegated to getting humped by Cyclops, while being used as a telepathic walkie-talkie and missions and literally being told to shut up when trying to give input. Storm would go whole long stretches without a line. All that did was frustrate the holy hell out of any fan who was reading for any character not named Scott Summers. "The Sisterhood" was honestly the biggest clusterf*** (for lack of a better term) in terms of a plot that made sense that you'll ever try to find.

Now, I gave his run on Thor a chance, after having read most of the JMS run, and barely made it through the first arc. Hell, from his first issue alone, Thor has Lady Sif in his bed, but isn't in the mood because after the events of "Siege", he "misses his brother, Loki". The same Loki, who but a few months before had STOLEN Sif's body. And she just sits there and takes it.

That's probably another detriment... his female characters often only exist to pine over, or sexually service whoever the protagonist is to make them look good. Even when Maria Hill is given panel time to look tough in his Iron Man, she ends up in bed with Tony.

"Fear Itself" was the "everyone gets a magic hammer" event, that ended where all the heroes get a magic something else handed to them by Thor, because Tony Stark got Odin's attention (even though Thor was gonna get murdered) by sacrificing his sobriety (say whut?)

Finish that up with his interviews... all through that Uncanny X-Men run, there were tons of X-Positions and other interviews that had fans dying to know what happened next. And the hype over everything fell flat through the whole first year. By the time "Utopia" rolled around, fans already had begun wondering how Emma Frost's bargain with Norman Osborn to be on the Dark X-Men would affect the story. So Fraction, in an interview, stated that it wasn't a feint, for real, Emma was back to being a villain, and had her reasons.

Two weeks later, she jumped ship back to the X-Men, screwing over Norman Osborn, and Matt Fraction literally said, "Well, I had to lie in the interview because everyone was guessing Emma was gonna betray Norman for Scott. I had to throw them off. Sorry, guys."

At that point, I never took an interview he had to promote a title seriously, and now, I avoid his titles like the plague. There isn't enough of a moral center for me, it's just male control freaks trying to dominate their corner of the Marvel Universe and sleeping with whatever alpha female they can while dismissing any emotional concern for them. Gets real old, real fast.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 11-27-2012 at 04:32 AM.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

People don't complain when he writes fantastic things like Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist, the Order.

However, when he writes crap like Fear Itself, Uncanny X-men and his so-so (IMO) run in Iron Man, people complain. Why is it so hard to understand?
    Because that's not what's happening. Despite the fact that he's currently writing one of the most critically acclaimed books around (Hawkeye) people still say "he's a terrible writer". I mean, Jesus, Fraction's Thor run was NOT terrible. It wasn't excellent but it had some good points in between but if we choose to focus solely on the negative, then it all becomes bad product. Fear Itself was bad but then again, how many big events are excellent? Even the legendary Grant Morrison had a misfire (IMO) with Final Crisis, doesn't mean he's suddenly a talentless hack.

In other words: high profile writers don't even write bad books. They are awesome at everything. Bitch, please!

Nobody is complaining about Hawkeye, or Ultimate Spider-Man, or any of Mark Waid's books, for example. Almost everyone like Thor: God of Thunder as well.
    No one is saying that big writers don't write bad books. However, there's a tendency for people to label a writer as "complete crap" because he writes a bad book. Not to mention the fact that people (on the internet) tend to tear down big name writers as soon as they become "big name writers". For example, some people are saying (pretty definitively) that Bendis is a bad writer. Heck, some people have even gone as far as saying that his Daredevil work was only good because of the artist and his Ultimate Spider-man did well only because of gimmicks which is revisionism at its worse.
    Last edited by USERNAME TAKEN; 11-27-2012 at 05:41 AM.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I didn't like his Fear Itself, Thor or Defenders. But I found his Iron Man entertaining and his Hawkeye has been hitting it out the park. Similar to my complaint about Bendis, he is just not a big cosmic world guy. Bendis is at his best when he's writing a street level hero. And I see a lot of that with Fraction. I wouldn't call them bad writers just not my cup of Joe.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

Neil Simon's Reservations

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Now, I gave his run on Thor a chance, after having read most of the JMS run, and barely made it through the first arc. Hell, from his first issue alone, Thor has Lady Sif in his bed, but isn't in the mood because after the events of "Siege", he "misses his brother, Loki". The same Loki, who but a few months before had STOLEN Sif's body. And she just sits there and takes it.
    You are confusing two separate events. Sif was barely in his first issue. He had Sif in his bed in the Mighty Thor, after Loki had returned and couldn't perform due to the wound suffered in the World Tree.

If you can't get a handle of basic events that are eight issues apart, then how can we take you seriously your evaluation?

And really, never take interviews seriously. They are all feint and hype.

On the note of Tony sacrificing his sobriety, I take it you are not an addict and have never been a religious sort, then, hmm? You sacrifice what has value. That's why the Jews gave Yahweh the fatted calf; it was valuable. Tony had nothing left of any value but his sobriety, so he sacrificed that to God. Being an addict changes the way that scene feels.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

People are calling "Defenders bad"?

Why?

Defenders was pretty good until the end granted I didn't start at the beginning because of the price and it came off of Fear Itself.
    Last edited by USERNAME TAKEN; 11-27-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

The thing with Fraction is he seems to be either brilliant OR terrible, for my tastes there has never been anything that is just 'okay.' I loved Iron Fist and enjoyed the bits of his Iron Man I borrowed of friends though I never got into the run myself, Hawkeye is one of the best books published by any company today, and though I've never read Casanova I don't think there has been a bad review yet.

On the other hand there is Fear Itself, Thor and X-Men, all of which have been pretty awful... I haven't read Defenders but the reviews were pretty mixed as I remember.

I would be tempted by anything that has Gillen or Hickman's name on it, would avoid anything by Loeb like the plague, but Fraction is one of those authors I would probably get maybe a couple of issues and make up my mind, or if money were tight, his would be low on my priorities.

Don't hate him, but his X-Men, Iron Man, and Thor runs didn't entertain me, his Iron Fist was slightly better but to me seemed to be very overrated (though to be fair was the best Iron Fist book since the '70s, for what that's worth), and Fear Itself was the worst event book ever (until AvX came along and knocked it off the top of the dollar bin scrap heap). I have zero interest in Legacy Hawkeye, I'm annoyed by the real Hawkeye's costume change, and I don't like the artist for the Hawkeye book so I'm avoiding that. I will be picking up FF (the Allred one), mostly for Allred and because I love She-Hulk and Ant-Lang.
    A Fool for the Foom

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    I'd actually love to see him write a team too.
    You should read The Order. I thought it was a great book and was sad to see it cancelled. I really enjoyed his defenders as well and was sad to see that cancelled.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    His Fear itself, was a tad interesting, but how he worked it out was kind of bad.

His Uncanny was almost a joke in some arcs and his Iron man was so slow to build up.

Plus, he often paired with few good artists in his works.

Land is an "artist"? When the F*ck did that happen?
    Cyclops ad portas

Because a significant portion of internet dwelling comic fans are a whiny, snarky lot who tend to focus on the negative. This means that when it comes to Matt Fraction, Fear Itself and his run on Uncanny X-Men are focused on to the exclusion of the rest of his body of work.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Because a significant portion of internet dwelling comic fans are a whiny, snarky lot who tend to focus on the negative. This means that when it comes to Matt Fraction, Fear Itself and his run on Uncanny X-Men are focused on to the exclusion of the rest of his body of work.
    NOT TRUE

The Order, cancelled
    The Defenders, cancelled
    Thor, barely readable
    Iron Man, a whole lotta huffing and puffing, nothing will be remembered 6 months from now, though i enjoyed some of the issues.
    Fear Itself? The worst comic of the year.

The rest of his body of work is not good

Aja saves his IF and Hawkeye.

esp when his big works, Fear Itself, Thor, Iron Man, Uncanny X-men (exposed to lots of readers, why are people surprised? ) He's a poor writer. But damn is he clever on Twitter!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Neil Simon's Reservations

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    NOT TRUE

The Order, cancelled
    The Defenders, cancelled
    Thor, barely readable
    Iron Man, a whole lotta huffing and puffing, nothing will be remembered 6 months from now, though i enjoyed some of the issues.
    Fear Itself? The worst comic of the year.

The rest of his body of work is not good

Aja saves his IF and Hawkeye.

esp when his big works, Fear Itself, Thor, Iron Man, Uncanny X-men (exposed to lots of readers, why are people surprised? ) He's a poor writer. But damn is he clever on Twitter!
    I love your comedy act! Have you tried taking this pro? I'd pay to see it live.

I know its opinion, but have you tried delineating exactly what it is you don't like?

A book being cancelled, for your edification, is no indicator of quality.

"Barely readable." Pssh. I read it just fine. And loved it, to boot!

He's a great writer!

I stil fail to see how Fear Itself was THAT BAD in everybody's eyes.

What was SO abysmal about it that many here are so quick to call it awful, or the worst thing ever?

I've read all 7 issues. Its not that bad. Its not incompetent, it contains a lot of interesting moments and character dynamics. The only problems I'd say it has is that it doesn't focus well enough on areas that would have been interesting to see, and really should have been 28 pages instead of 22.

I understand if people are tired of events and saw how the story had little impact beyond the next few months, but the story itself was not bad at all. Not legendary but not as bad as people make it out to be.

Can anybody that truly LOATHES that story tell me in detail just why that is? i understand my opinion on something will be different than that of others, but I just want to learn a little more about why people feel so strongly negative about it.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

Personally, I don't hate him. It was predominantly his work on X-Men, which was, what I think, of poor quality.
    I never read all of Fear Itself, so I can't really form an opinion. It's just that I wasn't interested in the subject.
    “Comics are a gateway drug to literacy.”
    by the light, by the truth, by sangreal and sword and pendragon's fire
    by defender's might and dragon circle's destiny behold thy bane!

✘ stephen strange

Quote Originally Posted by T.M. Anthony View Post
    I stil fail to see how Fear Itself was THAT BAD in everybody's eyes.

What was SO abysmal about it that many here are so quick to call it awful, or the worst thing ever?
    You know what? This. Different strokes for different folks, and all, but my biggest response to FI was a resounding "Meh." Which was my response to Secret Invasion, and House of M. The only crossover in the past few years that actually riled me was Civil War.

I'm not saying FI was great or anything, (Although some of the tie-ins were neat), but nothing in it was so terribly offensive to warrant a lot of the hate I see it get.