Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why do people complain about Matt Fraction?

I've heard a lot of hate for Fraction lately and I'm not sure why. I think he writes clever, fun comics that often read like a more digestible Morrison. He writes long arcs too. His Iron Man and Thor runs have been awesome. Think his FF was one of the most fun Marvel Now books, and Hawkeye is my favorite book right now. I prefer him over Hickman who while I have no problem with seems to write more cerebral and lack the warmth that Fraction conveys in similar stories. I don't mind Bendis but I definitely see why some might not like him, and same with Loeb...but I don't get it with Fraction. I think he's one of the indystry's best and a very worthy successor to Morrison, Ellis et.al
    You can call me Saiko if I can call you Nightwing

People like to complain about things

BANNED

Fear Itself mostly. I'm excited for FF, though, I think his Hawkeye is a tad overrated. I hate issue 2, loved issue 3, but Issue 4 felt like it was trying to be Daredevil.

My problem isn't with Fraction, it's with Marvel for putting him on books that he's just not right for. Thor and Fear Itself were just too "big" for him. Give him smaller, more intimate books and things work out much better.

I though Fear Itself was well written. I'd actually love to see him write a team too.

Like an Avengers type team, and seeing as he took both of Hickman's last 2 books maybe it could be a possibility

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lxqdowmC721r6h499o1_500.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	104809

That's a good start right there.

In my view, he's a decent writer that created a poor event. He is not horrible, but he doesn't give me an enthusiasm for the future of the medium the way Hickman or Gillen do. As for why people complain, it comes with being visible, famous. I know of no famous writer without his detractors. But I doubt you can find a lot of people who don't like his Hawkeye series.

Fear Itself and his X-Men run

I think he's a bit outrageous at times. His Uncanny (which I felt was extremely entertaining despite being over the top) but that is a part of his charm and not unlike Morrisonian trope as well. Haven't read enough Gillen to know but Gillen's #1 on Iron Man was not in the same league as Fraction's. I also give him credit for sticking out his stuff till the end. Hickman tends to hype things and then disappear (ultimates anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Fear Itself and his X-Men run
    His X-men run was the most fun I had reading an X book since Morrison's New X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    I think he's a bit outrageous at times. His Uncanny (which I felt was extremely entertaining despite being over the top) but that is a part of his charm and not unlike Morrisonian trope as well. Haven't read enough Gillen to know but Gillen's #1 on Iron Man was not in the same league as Fraction's. I also give him credit for sticking out his stuff till the end. Hickman tends to hype things and then disappear (ultimates anyone?)
    Yeah, and we all know how he famously abandoned Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four, right?

Every popular writer gets hate on the internet. Everyone goes from being a darling, to being hated.

Read Gillen's Phonogram and Journey Into Mystery. As for Hickman leaving Ultimates, that happens all the time in comics, however annoying. Remender's departure from Venom still ticks me off--being a huge fan and all. But what Hickman did with FF, and in particular Nightly News, made me happy as a comic fan because of the ambition and the ability to see that ambition through.

His X-men run was the most fun I had reading an X book since Morrison's New X-men.
    It was the opposite for me and nowhere near Morrison's run, there was crap from the 90's that was better then Fraction's stuff