View Poll Results: Should Mary Jane have her own Book?

Voters
58. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Hit my Jackpot.

21 36.21%
  • Nah, sounds like a stupid idea.

23 39.66%
  • I have a better suggestion.

5 8.62%
  • I'd rather have a Black Cat book.

14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm really not sure, don't get me wrong. I'd definetely try it, without a doubt.
    The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.

A emphatic YES...just with some tastefully done nude scenes. I'm not talking about spread brown eyes or anything like that, mind you; but a few nip slips or lingerie shots here and there. Well, who could turn that down?
    David Bowie fan

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    Maybe a few years back, but Limited Series and minis are dying out now in the market. Plus Mary Jane just doesn't have purpose since Spidey made a deal with Mephisto to trade his marriage for his aunt's life.
    There's arguably more of a purpose to an MJ title now than when she had been the most prominent member of Spider-Man's supporting cast.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

"Eh, What's up Doc?" Spider-Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    But MJ wouldn't do that. She's not a crimefighter. Why would she suddenly become one? It's totally out of character.
    I probably could have expressed my idea my clearly, I don't see MJ as a Crimefighter; More of a Philanthropist, Helping People who need help, An expansion of the Night Nurse concept brought up by Midnightshrink, If you will. Stopping the occasional criminal would certainly be part of it, But not all.

You could probably drop the where's Waldo subplot entirely and still make it work. Additionally, If such a book were ever published I would hope that Marvel would show some class and Let MJ and Friends be positive Role Models.
    Last edited by Spider-Frog; 11-26-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Oh Sugarcookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's arguably more of a purpose to an MJ title now than when she had been the most prominent member of Spider-Man's supporting cast.
    Could you explain this to me, because now I really don't see her importance. Maybe with the Superior Spider-Man stuff coming about, but not in recent years after OMD.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    Could you explain this to me, because now I really don't see her importance. Maybe with the Superior Spider-Man stuff coming about, but not in recent years after OMD.
    It's not about her importance to another title, but whether she can carry a book in her own right.

When characters are given spinoff titles, it's usually because their stories are compelling rather than anything to do with the original title. When Punisher was given his monthly, it wasn't because of his importance to the Spider-Man comics. It's because readers liked to see him in action.

If she's Spider-Man's wife, she already has a heavy role in Amazing Spider-Man and other spider-related titles. That's rather restrictive for anyone working on a Mary Jane solo book.

If she doesn't appear in most Spider-Man titles, the writer and editor of a Mary Jane book would have more options regarding the direction of the title. They won't be as hamstrung by whatever's going on in Amazing Spider-Man.

Personally, I wouldn't have a Mary Jane monthly, because I want the character to be unpredictable for Peter Parker, as well as the readers. A supporting character can do that better than the lead.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Nah, It is not a stupid idea, I just don't think it would sell. I would like to see MJ have a expanded role in the Marval univers however. MJ's Place could become a super-hero hang out and/or MJ could become Avenger spokesmodel; an official puplic relations person.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Wasn't there a comic in the past based on mJ? I swear i've seen it, and something like she's trying to calm down flash?
    The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Wasn't there a comic in the past based on mJ? I swear i've seen it, and something like she's trying to calm down flash?
    I think you're thinking of the sady underrated and much missed Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Or possibly the four issue 2004 Mary Jane series.

I think a Mr/Mrs Spider-Man series of OGN's (similar to DC's OGNS, but set in the marriage era) that had an emphasis on her, but not as she currently is in the MU - and I have mixed feelings about giving her powers.

I think a Black Cat series could work.

Mary Jane loves Spider-Man
    And then there are some novels dedicated for MJ
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Frog View Post
    "SMOKING MARYJANE AND HER AMAZING FRIENDS" Yeah, thats right, Go Green, Or Go Home!

I really like Confuzzled Mutie's concept; So I am going to throw a few ideas and a grain of salt into the pot and see if anything boils.

First, Where in the World is Waldo Parker? I am going to take a wild leap of guesstimation and assume that Peter is alive but MIA after the Events of ASM#700. MJ uses the resources of the Tigress Den(Club?) to search for clues as to Peters whereabouts.

Second, I would have MJ start a Fashion Design/Modeling agency to further help fund the Tigress Den and provide a reason for Her 'Models' to travel all over the World following up on clues and incidentally helping anyone who needs it. I would probably make most stories about real world crimes and conditions and downplay the Capes.

P.S.-I would make the book for Teens to Adult, But nothing too graphic, A rating of G or a PG if it were a Movie.
    I like the sound of "The Tigress Club" for a glamorous, globe-trotting team organized by MJ and co-led by Wasp and She-Hulk. Maybe later on, there could even be a mutant sub-division of the club, led by Rogue or Dazzler and featuring young X-ladies like Trance, Idie, Pixie and Bling.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    But MJ wouldn't do that. She's not a crimefighter. Why would she suddenly become one? It's totally out of character.
    She totally seemed into it once she finally got her spider-powers in Spider-Island, getting a fuller understanding of the "With great power.." philosophy, and was even reluctant to give up her powers. So she has definitely caught on to the idea of using her positive attributes, skills and resources for the greater good. Plus, we aren't actually talking about her punching and kicking the bad guys in every issue. Just guiding, funding, counseling (she did pursue a college major in philosophy) and hosting the actual crimebusting team. And as Spider-Frog pointed out, this could be a title with less fisticuffs and more soul-searching and throwing light on socially relevant topics. And she was friends with Carol Danvers and shared a great rapport with all the superheroes when the Parker family was staying at Stark Tower pre-OMD, so we know she enjoys the company of supers not named Peter Parker as well.

And it should totally be drawn by Phil Noto. His MJ just looks beautiful in every sense of the word-

Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 11-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.

a Mary Jane & Felicia Hardy series would be better we got MJ for all the comedy and non-costumed problems and she gets a partner/investor in her club that gives her income from things she steals/sells so we get our costume misadventures as well

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    a Mary Jane & Felicia Hardy series would be better we got MJ for all the comedy and non-costumed problems and she gets a partner/investor in her club that gives her income from things she steals/sells so we get our costume misadventures as well
    That would be interesting yes, mostly as there is a lot of tension between the two with regards to their relationships with Peter, but they still share a strong, mutual respect for each other. But I don't see MJ taking advantage of Felicia's spoils for financing her club. The Aunts May and Anna have made her incredibly ethical to refrain from such shady involvement.

I think she could be a central character in a book centered around the civilians of the Marvel U. But outside of reviving SM Loves MJ, I don't think she can hold a book by herself. Maybe a special.