Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scarlet spider

I love Venom, so I got the Minimum Carnage issues of SS. I really like it. Probably going to pick it up after MC. The next SS arc looks awesome. The Lobos Brothers and whatnot.
    In PAK We Trust!

Check out my friends Indie Comic Hoods! www.hoodscomic.com

And Check out his Podcast Smashville!

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

I highly recommend it.

Its my personal favorite Spider Book. And this is coming from a guy where ASM #317 got him into collecting and thought the original Scarlet Spider was a complete joke.

The only time I was unhappy with the book was the Minimum Carnage Storyline.
    Last edited by godzilla2099; 11-25-2012 at 07:13 PM.

It's a really good book simply to see Kaine's development as a character. Minimum Carnage was honestly a letdown; it should have been just Scarlet Spider, Venom, and Carnage slugging it out for six issues, not a bunch of microverse crap.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

Minimum carnage sucked, but this book it right up there with the top titles each month. This keeps getting better and Venom is going down hill very fast.

I really like it! Scarlet Spider might be my only Spidey fix after ASM #700.

If you enjoyed the first four issues of Scarlet Spider, now is the perfect time to jump back into the fold, as Minimum Carnage has just ended and the book is getting back to basics.

The idea of teaming up the new Scarlet Spider and the new Venom against the classic but revitalized Carnage is an excellent one, I think. I was pretty excited to read it. And the arc did have it's moments, but I was mostly ambivalent to the story - mostly based on execution, actually. Including the Microverse in a Spider-Universe story just didn't make sense to me. The Microverse is cool and all - I guess - but I don't want it getting in the way of what should be our three main characters kicking the crap out of each other. - I did the idea of the symobiotes being toxic to the Microverse, even if I wasn't exactly sure how that made sense. (Are the symobiotes attempting to do the same thing to "the 616" as well?!?! If not, why the Microverse?) Also, I felt that Kaine was really lost in the shuffle during the back half of the arc; it really felt like Flash Thompson became the focal point. As a reader of the actual Scarlet Spider comic, I was bummed that they didn't continue getting equal face time, as they did at the arc's beginning. So if saving money is a big deal for you, maybe you won't regret skipping this.

My guess is fans of Kaine would say there's essentially one scene in the crossover that is cannot-miss.

So come on back. The long-running plot lines that Yost has been playing with over the first 10 issues are going to start paying off, and the proverbial poop will likely be hitting likewise fan. And the art is quite excellent as well. I like the simplicity of Kaine's costume - it's really grown on me with the current artist.

So yeah. We'll be glad to have you back aboard.

And if you're looking for a brand new comic to follow, maybe you wanna help the few Morbius fans around and pick that up as well? All eleven of us will surely appreciate it.

-Pav, who wonders if Yost has any plans to start bringing in familiar faces from Kaine's past appearances...

...like Muse!

I picked up all the back issues and am loving this, finding it more entertaining then Amazing Spideys been I awhile, gonna differently be adding this to my monthly pull list

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    I picked up all the back issues and am loving this, finding it more entertaining then Amazing Spideys been I awhile, gonna differently be adding this to my monthly pull list
    Woo! Good choice, I like Miles, is this the one in that different earth thing? Its not 611?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

It's 616 man, main universe, Kaines a clone of Peter, you've read Spider Island you lnow who he is

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

If it were a different artist, I'd try this again. I like Kaine, but the art is way too simplistic for me to enjoy since Ryan left.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    If it were a different artist, I'd try this again. I like Kaine, but the art is way too simplistic for me to enjoy since Ryan left.
    Ryan's issue were my favorite, I'm not digging the Minmum Carnage arc, suffering through it though,

Quote Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
    Minimum carnage sucked, but this book it right up there with the top titles each month. This keeps getting better and Venom is going down hill very fast.
    I agree with you, I just read issue 23 and 24 and I hate the direction it's going, gonna finish the arc and minimu carnage and stick with it for one more arc to see if Bunn can get me to like the book again

I think Khoi Pham does the art well, but I really miss Stegman too. His action scenes were phenomenal!

I haven't been fussed at all with the Minimum Carnage story, mainly because it doesn't seem to fit with the tone of the rest of the series. It has felt a bit like a story inserted because someone wanted a crossover, whether it fitted or not.

I was in two minds whether to skip out on buying for a while, but a fledgling title needs every sale it can get. Hopefully we will get back to the more 'normal' stories now that Minimum Carnage is coming to an end.

Everything points to that Scarlet Spider will be back to form, so please give it a chance again. I was also let down by Minimum Carnage, so I know exactly how you feel. But Kaine as a character and his development has been such a fun ride to follow, so I'll definitely give it a chance.

By the way, to anyone who has picked SS up on a trade, is the short story in the Point one issue by any chance included? It's just a few pages, and I'm not attracted to buy the Point one issue (the one from 2011) just for that short Scarlet Spider tidbit.