Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    Over Tony? No in the military you can tell the officer who are straight from college and those who enlisted then became an officer. They are super smart with no practical experience and make the most bone head mistake.

Reed is like that he doesn't have ruthlessness and has to much scientific curiosity to be as effective as stark. Stark got Reed to clone Thor and Reed didn't really want too. Stark was not afraid to build a effective weapons. The difference is Reed cares how he wins, Stark only cares about winning and there is a big difference in those thinking
    Right, but being more morally bankrupt and ruthless doesn't make Tony smarter than Reed. It just makes him morally questionable and aggressive.

Reed's smarter. Tony's smart, but comparatively, I think of him more as a genius engineer. He's practical smart, the guy who makes machines to serve purposes - where as I believe Reed is more theoretical and curiosity-driven in his scientific pursuits. Reed investigates just to know.
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

If Reed is so smart explain why he goes into fight with out a power suit of some kind.
    You do realize that part of his power is to be almost indestructible, right? He's pretty much more durable than Thing. Not to mention a power suit would hinder his power.

spoilers:
    (present story plot notwithstanding)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by The Black Guardian; 11-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Bruce Banner is smarter than both of them.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

Without powers, Tony is as smart as Reed, but since Reed can stretch his brain to increase his IQ, Reed wins.

At least that's what I've seen stated in the books.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Love Stark, believe him to be either 3 or 4 in the smartest men on Marvel's Earth... but Reed has and should ALWAYS be smarter. Tony is just more driven in actually messing around with the practical stuff Reed usually skips over to get to the more 'fantastic' aspects of science for exploration.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    I agree with your assessment for rankings here, with the exception of T'Challa. While he has some impressive science at his disposal, I always thought someone else was responsible for his toys. Him being king and all, it's just natural that he has the brightest minds at his beck and call. He clearly favors modern technology and is just as clearly a genius, but where exactly that puts him is unclear to me, since he has to be all things as far as his people are concerned.
    Before the recent ret-con of Wakanda always being advanced, T'Challa was the one who was responsible for all the advancements of the country and was showed to be near Reed's level of intelligence.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    Right, but being more morally bankrupt and ruthless doesn't make Tony smarter than Reed. It just makes him morally questionable and aggressive.

Reed's smarter. Tony's smart, but comparatively, I think of him more as a genius engineer. He's practical smart, the guy who makes machines to serve purposes - where as I believe Reed is more theoretical and curiosity-driven in his scientific pursuits. Reed investigates just to know.
    You guys are putting to much stock in classical intelligence. People with that type of intelligence focus so much on learning that they are they can't practical apply the stuff to the real world and lack real world skills. Reed is type to be able build a rocket to the moon but couldn't catch a subway. Reed is to focus on a scientific path to be called the smartest man. Sorry cunning and ruthlessness is a part of intelligence.

Tony can see the big picture enough to blow up to alien armada if he had too, Reed would look for another way which would be more risky. It is like us decision to use a bombs on Japan. Some times the smart choice is the ruthless option . clearly not having a person who thinks like that would cost you in many situations. Stark is better mix of practical smarts and intelligence. Reed by far is more book smart but nothing more, Reed would build device for transportation called a segway to revolutionize transport, but Stark would be smart enough to see that real people would never use that.

Or simpler Reed would build a gadget to confront a bully. Stark would do a football player homework become friends with him get popular and bully would leave him alone. Later on Tony build a device slightly less good as Reed and wins the Science Fair. Give me a person with high practical smarts and high iq. Reed is to focus on science to be more rounded, And focus on science and facts make less aware of the simple and human Nature, Tony has this problem but not as much as Reed does just my opinion

As far as the chess thing, I think Reed is arrogant enough not to give Stark his full attention.

I don't have the book in question though, so I'm not sure how that sequence really played out.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

You guys are putting to much stock in classical intelligence. People with that type of intelligence focus so much on learning that they are they can't practical apply the stuff to the real world and lack real world skills. Reed is type to be able build a rocket to the moon but couldn't catch a subway. Reed is to focus on a scientific path to be called the smartest man. Sorry cunning and ruthlessness is a part of intelligence.

Tony can see the big picture enough to blow up to alien armada if he had too, Reed would look for another way which would be more risky. It is like us decision to use a bombs on Japan. Some times the smart choice is the ruthless option . clearly not having a person who thinks like that would cost you in many situations. Stark is better mix of practical smarts and intelligence. Reed by far is more book smart but nothing more, Reed would build device for transportation called a segway to revolutionize transport, but Stark would be smart enough to see that real people would never use that.

Or simpler Reed would build a gadget to confront a bully. Stark would do a football player homework become friends with him get popular and bully would leave him alone. Later on Tony build a device slightly less good as Reed and wins the Science Fair. Give me a person with high practical smarts and high iq. Reed is to focus on science to be more rounded, And focus on science and facts make less aware of the simple and human Nature, Tony has this problem but not as much as Reed does just my opinion
    Funny - about the last paragraph, I think you have it completely wrong. To deal with the bullying epidemic, it'd be the opposite. Tony would build a suit to confront the bully and put a stop to it directly (practically and efficiently) - Reed would invest in the social sciences to try and wipe out the need for bullying on a wide-scale level.

You might value this type of super direct pragmatism, which is totally okay and a valid area of 'smarts', but it doesn't mean that Tony's smarter than Reed. Just more direct.
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

Reed is conventionally smarter than Tony. Tony is just more cunning. In any chance engagement, Tony will outblitz Reed with single minded purpose. Just like that game of chess.

Funny - about the last paragraph, I think you have it completely wrong. To deal with the bullying epidemic, it'd be the opposite. Tony would build a suit to confront the bully and put a stop to it directly (practically and efficiently) - Reed would invest in the social sciences to try and wipe out the need for bullying on a wide-scale level.

You might value this type of super direct pragmatism, which is totally okay and a valid area of 'smarts', but it doesn't mean that Tony's smarter than Reed. Just more direct.
    I don't think so, besides you made my point Tony has social skills, Reed would have to learn it. It is not of the things you can really pick up from reading. Reed is more intelligent with diminished people skills because all he does is go in the lab. Stark has near the intelligence and he is in the world enough to understand how to practical use stuff.

I think found the right words Reed is a robot amazingly smart but can't put things in proper context because he doesn't have the human factor. Tony lives in the real world some what, Reed is one family accident away from being super villain. Reed is to singularly focus to apply his brains correctly.
    Simply Reed is so science smart he is stupid or would be stupid in other areas. Straight science and learning it is Reed, if problem could be solve with non science solution then Reed is probably of the last of the marvel smart guys. Stark or Tchalla is more round practical and tactical smarts while having near Reed science intelligence
    Last edited by Luck911; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 AM.

I always had Reed and Doom as my 1 and 2 genius of the Marvel Universe. Tony Henry and Banner are probably the next 3. The only person I have a hard time with is Black Panther. Part of me thinks he should be smarter than those 3 but another part of me sees him on the same level.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    As far as the chess thing, I think Reed is arrogant enough not to give Stark his full attention.

I don't have the book in question though, so I'm not sure how that sequence really played out.
    No he was paying attention to Tony. They were playing chess on multiple boards. So that's an excuse that doesn't fly.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 11-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Right, but being more morally bankrupt and ruthless doesn't make Tony smarter than Reed. It just makes him morally questionable and aggressive.[/I]
    Reed has done alot of underhanded things as well. He;s just as morally bankrupt as Tony if going by your arguement. Tony just gets called out on his more due to Civil War and Reed was right there every step of the way.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    Bruce Banner is smarter than both of them.
    Ah no. Bruce is not on Tony or Reed's level. In the newest issue of Hulk he gets pissed at Maria Hill just for mentioning Tony's name and accomplishments.