Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The "Worst" couples in comics.

In this thread we discuss the worst comic book pairings and couples in comics. Given that Black Panther and Storm are no longer a couple due to a break up in Avengers vs X-Men , that doesn't seem to be the worst couple in comics history. So using our fun look back at so many years of comics...lets all list and describe the worst couple in comics.

My pick :

Quicksilver / Crystal

Why It was Terrible : Back in Fantastic Four #150 and Avengers #127 , the characters married quite quickly...out of the blue. It was a situation where Quicksilver met Crystal and BAM...married. Crystal before this dated Johnny Storm awhile. Which truth be told ...she should have married Johnny Storm and saved her self years of heartache and pain .

The marriage was always written as being rocky. That Quicksilver's temper was always flaring and the 2 were at odds. At one point Crystal grew so lonely she cheated with an insurance salesman . Which she really was pretty much not caring to do as this blog shows .

http://thecoolkidztable.blogspot.com...ter-hussy.html

This would cause Crystal and Quicksilver to separate and she would join the Fantastic Four awhile. Which I'm sure Quicksilver was happy that she was around her ex-bf and his wife now. Then she joined the Avengers and created a weird love triangle wanting the Black Knight . Who was involved with Sersi as well. During all this time Quicksilver and Crystal would be on again and off again.

The final last gasp for the couple was likely this issue when the Inhumans returned and Crystal and Quicksilver reunited. This was likely the only picture where the couple looked like an actual loving couple and not something outta a Lifetime TV movie of the week. Of course the damage was done by this point and by the late 2000's the couple was finally divorced. So would end the Quicksilver/Crystal couple. One so dysfunctional that Crystal cheated with an Insurance salesman and was gonna cheat with the Black Knight if she could.

As a final epilogue to it all...Crystal would marry Ronan of the Kree. Quicksilver meanwhile decided the best move was to not marry anyone and continue being a jerk.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Reed & Sue Richards

Bruce Wayne & Vicki Vale

Quicksilver & Crystal
    A N I M E

Quote Originally Posted by stelok View Post
    Reed & Sue Richards
    l
    ??? They have been together from the beginning and though they have had their problems like all couples, in general they seem quite happy together.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    ??? They have been together from the beginning and though they have had their problems like all couples, in general they seem quite happy together.
    They would be my choice for best couple in comics, if it weren't for Jesse Custer and Tulip O'Hare.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Since Black Panther and Storm are now disqualified, I have to go with Rogue and Magneto. Just... ewww.

As a die-hard Vision fan, I've always thought his relationship with Wanda was ahuge anchor dragging him down. Seriously, if you look at everything bad that's ever happened to Vision in comics, 90% of it is due directly to his involvement with Wanda, either on a direct plot level (she essentially kills him during Disassembled) or on a meta level (Byrne destroys him more or less for good as a major character because of his dissatisfaction with the idea of a human woman marrying a synthetic being). Plus, she's just an annoying, clingy harpy. Contrasted to the brooding, mysterious, badass Vision that existed before they hooked up, the Vision who was a genuine Marvel heavyweight.

Expanding on the Wanda world-shaping and baby-making retcons of recent years, my theory is that Wanda's reality-altering powers subconsciously forced Vision to fall for her and marry her. This can be supported in the text itself as Vision not once but twice seemed on the verge of cutting off their relationship and returning to his earlier personality (both in #158 and again later around #197) only to have both of those subplots suddenly vanish without being mentioned again. Proof that Wanda was subconsciously controlling his emotions and pulling him back in line when he tried to break free?

Crackpot theories aside, yeah, I just really think Visionw as much better off in basically every way without Wanda. The "discovering emotions" thing made their relationship a little interesting at first, but really he should have dumped her as soon as she started going all psycho "nobody touches my man!" around #113. Talk about a girlfriend from hell.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Hmmm comic book couples that didn't work for me...

-Tony Stark & Janet Van Dyne-Pym-Tony swooping in on Jan after the whole Hank affair painted them both in a bad light
    -the current Superman/Wonder Woman pairing making headlines, didn't like it's potential in Action 600 when they teased it the first time, don't like it now
    -the current Hawkeye-Jessica Drew pairing, just doesn't work well
    -riffing on Scott's dislike of Wanda-the Simon Williams-Wanda pairing never worked well for me either
    -I never liked Scott Summers and Emma Frost either
    -another X-Men pairing I didn't think worked well was Gambit-Rogue, way too angst ridden the way it played out
    -Dick Grayson and Koriand'r always seemed strained, I like the role it played in the stories but not the actual pairing of characters
    -Johnny Storm and Alicia Masters (even with the Skrull reveal of Lyja, it just never worked, aside from my affection for the Ben/Alicia pairing, Johnny just seemed so wrong for Alicia

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    As a die-hard Vision fan, I've always thought his relationship with Wanda was ahuge anchor dragging him down. Seriously, if you look at everything bad that's ever happened to Vision in comics, 90% of it is due directly to his involvement with Wanda, either on a direct plot level (she essentially kills him during Disassembled) or on a meta level (Byrne destroys him more or less for good as a major character because of his dissatisfaction with the idea of a human woman marrying a synthetic being). Plus, she's just an annoying, clingy harpy. Contrasted to the brooding, mysterious, badass Vision that existed before they hooked up, the Vision who was a genuine Marvel heavyweight.

Expanding on the Wanda world-shaping and baby-making retcons of recent years, my theory is that Wanda's reality-altering powers subconsciously forced Vision to fall for her and marry her. This can be supported in the text itself as Vision not once but twice seemed on the verge of cutting off their relationship and returning to his earlier personality (both in #158 and again later around #197) only to have both of those subplots suddenly vanish without being mentioned again. Proof that Wanda was subconsciously controlling his emotions and pulling him back in line when he tried to break free?

Crackpot theories aside, yeah, I just really think Visionw as much better off in basically every way without Wanda. The "discovering emotions" thing made their relationship a little interesting at first, but really he should have dumped her as soon as she started going all psycho "nobody touches my man!" around #113. Talk about a girlfriend from hell.
    I agree with some of what you said, but I don't completely blame Wanda who has been horribly written ever since Byrne got a hold of her. Vision/Wanda committed the greatest crime in an ongoing comic. They were given a happy ending. Since the story can never end future writers needed to deconstruct them and make a mockery of what was a nice love story.

I do not agree that Vision was forced to fall in love. Not knocking you here Scott, but there are a lot of people on CBR who seem completely unable to accept the idea of the Vision having human feelings and being beyond a machine, despite the fact that all of the Avengers long ago accepted him and are presumably not morons.

People seem to be able to believe in alternate realities, cosmic gods, mutants, magical bird entities..etc...but the idea of a synthetic human having emotions (his most remembered story has him crying at the end) is somehow completely off the table.

Despite all of that I do agree that at this point the Vision is better off without Wanda and should be allowed to develop separately from her.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    I agree with some of what you said, but I don't completely blame Wanda who has been horribly written ever since Byrne got a hold of her. Vision/Wanda committed the greatest crime in an ongoing comic. They were given a happy ending. Since the story can never end future writers needed to deconstruct them and make a mockery of what was a nice love story.

I do not agree that Vision was forced to fall in love. Not knocking you here Scott, but there are a lot of people on CBR who seem completely unable to accept the idea of the Vision having human feelings and being beyond a machine, despite the fact that all of the Avengers long ago accepted him and are presumably not morons.

People seem to be able to believe in alternate realities, cosmic gods, mutants, magical bird entities..etc...but the idea of a synthetic human having emotions (his most remembered story has him crying at the end) is somehow completely off the table.

Despite all of that I do agree that at this point the Vision is better off without Wanda and should be allowed to develop separately from her.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with Vision falling in love with someone. I'm just saying that around #128, when Wanda went totally off the deep end with her human-hating and became an acolyte witch and turned incredibly possessive and clingy, Vision probably began thinking "you know, this first infatuation, puppy love thing where I discovered my emotions was nice while it lasted, but this chick is NUTS. Plus, there's a hot Asian hooker trying to get in my pants, so maybe I will just break things off with Wanda and go explore my new emotions with someone who isn't a total lunatic." Only, her mutant hex power prevented him from actually being able to do this, as it kept re-writing his emotions every time he began to drift away from her.

I'm not in favor of sweeping retcons like that, but honestly, I think this could totally be supported by the stories.

I was all for the brief subplot Kurt Busiek introduced during his run where Vision asked out Carol Danvers. At that point, after 30 years of the same damn Vision-Wanda-Simon nonsense, I was really glad to see Vision finally wise up and move on.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Bruce Wayne and Jezebel Jet.

Northstar and Kyle.

Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne. Still leaves a foul taste. Hopefully this has been retconned out since OMD.

--A little contemporary here, but that whole Carlie Cooper thing. It just seemed forced and in many places just so rom-com. Plus actually having Mary Jane tell peter how great she was seemed like lazy writing.

--All the 1960's DC wives/girlfriends seemed liked harpies. Good lord, was Carol Ferris ever written as pleasant. And Iris was always yelling at Barry about something.

--Always thought Bouncing Boy was lucky to get Duo Damsel. A fat, goldbricking slob who accidentally drinks a secret formula in place of a soda pop gets a menage a tois powered hottie---that's a strange one.
    David Bowie fan

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Bruce Wayne and Jezebel Jet.
    I have no idea who that is.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne. Still leaves a foul taste. Hopefully this has been retconned out since OMD.
    Didn't happen in my world.