Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    According to...?
    I'm being watched and limited on what I can say; there could be consequences. Consequences were paid for my revealing my background with God (or a background involving God trillions of years ago) and referring to the Book of Enoch (a story/history of mine best left untold); but it's Avalon or, alternatively, oblivion, if unworthy of Avalon.

  2. #17
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I'm being watched and limited on what I can say; there could be consequences. Consequences were paid for my revealing my background with God (or a background involving God trillions of years ago) and referring to the Book of Enoch (a story/history of mine best left untold); but it's Avalon or, alternatively, oblivion, if unworthy of Avalon.
    The question has nothing to do with anyone's personal faith or beliefs.

    The question is, in the DCU, where do the gods go when they die?

    It's fiction. Please stick to that.

    And for the last time, you are not being persecuted for your 'background with God'. You have, however, been repeatedly warned by the moderators that this is not a place to preach your personal faith. This is a comic book forum for the discussion of Wonder Woman and other related fictional characters and those who create them.

  3. #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    Dead supernaturals go to a place called Avalon.
    In the fictional universe of the New 52 (and specifically in Demon Knights), there is an Avalon, but the only "dead" supernatural who I know of who went there is Merlin--and he isn't exactly dead. His body appeared to be dead, but Madame Xanadu, upon realizing that his soul was in Avalon, said that he was alive in all the ways that mattered. King Arthur was taken there at the fall of Camleot to wait outside time so that he could return when Britain needed him (but I don't know if he counts as a supernatural). Lucifer considers Avalon an insult to all the afterlives, apparently because those whose souls go there aren't really dead. He's currently (well, in the Dark Ages) trying to invade the place, as are the Questing Queen and Mordru. In the present day, the Shadow Lords who run Stormwatch apparently reside in Avalon.

  4. #19
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Kipling in "Puck of Pook's Hill" set out an interesting theory that gods go to England to retire http://www.amazon.com/Pooks-Wordswor.../dp/1853261386 . When I first saw the First Born a few issues ago I wondered if it were Darksied.

    I think the question is interesting because we've seen the gods act atrociously toward everyone and if there is no justice for all of the pain they've caused then where lay justice in this fictional world?

  5. #20
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,344

    Default

    Gods don't die. They're gods. That's one of the key differences between they and mere superhumans: absolute immortality.

    They merely traverse realities.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  6. #21
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Gods don't die. They're gods. That's one of the key differences between they and mere superhumans: absolute immortality.

    They merely traverse realities.
    So what is waiting for them in the next reality? Justice or paradise?

  7. #22

    Default

    Randomly passed through this thread and had to say...."consequences were paid"? Seriously, dshipp17? Unless you are a character in a Shakespearean play, please speak normally. If you given a warning by a mod and feel you can't answer the question, that's fine, but to say "consequences were paid"??

    And as Gaelforce has pointed out, someone was asking a question about what happens to the God characters after they die...in a comic book. Perspective, please.

  8. #23
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    So what is waiting for them in the next reality? Justice or paradise?
    That's just it...they don't have a 'hereafter'. They just move on to another existence not of this plain.

    It was perfectly executed (although, not intentionally I'd imagine) when Hermes died in Perez' Wonder Woman. He was seen then cavorting with the Endless in Sandman.

    Immortality is a state where death is not a concern. Don't think of it in terms like people, things or animals. They just continue, shedding one existence for another - but still very much alive.

    Of course, this is my personal reading of dieties in the DC Universe. Yours may vary wildly.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  9. #24
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    31,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Persephone seemed to have killed herself and gotten stuck in Hades --but maybe that's just because she died there and her lord wouldn't let her go. Or maybe he didn't even let her die.

    In Sandman, dead gods would pass through the dreaming on their way back into the minds of mortals. The latest Batwoman seemed to say that dead gods could eventually be restored by the faith.of mortals (if mortals still had faith, or if we get it back).
    In War of the Gods, Hermes seemed to be wondering where dead gods go himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I'm being watched and limited on what I can say
    About time...

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Gods don't die. They're gods. That's one of the key differences between they and mere superhumans: absolute immortality.
    So Superman is a god!

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    It was perfectly executed (although, not intentionally I'd imagine) when Hermes died in Perez' Wonder Woman. He was seen then cavorting with the Endless in Sandman.
    Gods cavort with the Endless all the time without dying...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  10. #25
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    Guys...keep it to the topic and not to those posting.

    The topic, to remind folks, is where do fictional gods go when they die in a fictional universe.
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

  11. #26
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Kipling in "Puck of Pook's Hill" set out an interesting theory that gods go to England to retire http://www.amazon.com/Pooks-Wordswor.../dp/1853261386 . When I first saw the First Born a few issues ago I wondered if it were Darksied.

    I think the question is interesting because we've seen the gods act atrociously toward everyone and if there is no justice for all of the pain they've caused then where lay justice in this fictional world?
    If Kronus is spending eternity in Tartarus--or, according to the present WW book, under his son's butt--then isn't that sufficient punishment? It's strange to say, but as long as he can't escape, whether he's alive or dead seems like a moot point.

    Also, whether there needs to be justice for the gods depends on whether they are moral agents. If you take War's word for it, then, according to Wonder Woman 4, the gods don't choose their own paths; their string are pulled by mortals. If that were the case, they wouldn't be responsible for their actions. (I suspect, though, that it's not completely, ultimately the case, and that we'll see a god or two act against type in Wonder Woman.)

  12. #27
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    If Kronus is spending eternity in Tartarus--or, according to the present WW book, under his son's butt--then isn't that sufficient punishment? It's strange to say, but as long as he can't escape, whether he's alive or dead seems like a moot point.

    Also, whether there needs to be justice for the gods depends on whether they are moral agents. If you take War's word for it, then, according to Wonder Woman 4, the gods don't choose their own paths; their string are pulled by mortals. If that were the case, they wouldn't be responsible for their actions. (I suspect, though, that it's not completely, ultimately the case, and that we'll see a god or two act against type in Wonder Woman.)
    From what I've seen they have free will, even if their natures are pre-determined by the facet of humanity they represent. If you have free will then you can go against your basic nature.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •