View Poll Results: Which was Johnny's best romantic interest?

Voters
57. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Crystal

15 26.32%
  • Alicia Masters

5 8.77%
  • Lyja the Laserfist

16 28.07%
  • Frankie Raye aka Nova

5 8.77%
  • Namorita

1 1.75%
  • Cindy aka Psionics

1 1.75%
  • Other

14 24.56%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wonder what Stan Lee would have to say about fan discussion on Johnny's implied gayness.

I think Stan would have no problem creating a gay character (and he could have.... I thought it might have been the British member of the Commandos, Pvt Pinkerton?)
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wonder what Stan Lee would have to say about fan discussion on Johnny's implied gayness.
    He went on record as okeh with the outing for Rawhide Kid and retroactively outed or decided retroactively (whichever, however) that the umbrella-wielding Brit of the Howling Commandoes was gay, so who knows. (Other than Stan Lee, natch.)

Isn't part of Daken's power set the ability to alter a person's emotional state? To make them feel certain ways about him they wouldn't otherwise feel? It seems like a case could be made that that's what happened here, especially since Johnny has never shown any questionable feelings towards any other male characters who don't have that power.

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    Alicia Masters. The real Alicia Masters. That showed so much growth in Johnny and they ruin it with a retcon. Un-be-lievable.

Growth?! Johnny stole his best friend's girl! In all the issues up until that point, Ben had only managed to find one girl who could accept him as the Thing and Johnny STOLE THAT GIRL from him! That didn't show Johnny growing, that showed him as a giant a$$$$$$ who screwed over his best friend. The retcon would have been better if Johny had been the Skrull, because in reality, Johnny still commited the crime, it just looks worse (for Johnny) now after the retcon, sort of like Hawkeye sleeping with Wanda getting retconned into Wanda being a Doombot.

Yes, growth. How did Johnny steal Alicia? She's not property and he didn't put any kind of moves on her. She chose Johnny becasue that's who she wanted to be with. They were two adults. And if recalled, Ben was going to end the relationship with Alicia. He was more upset about it being Johnny than anything else. Johnny showed a level of maturity with Alicia that he hadn't shown in alot of his past relationships so I would call it growth.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Yes, growth. How did Johnny steal Alicia? She's not property and he didn't put any kind of moves on her. She chose Johnny becasue that's who she wanted to be with. They were two adults. And if recalled, Ben was going to end the relationship with Alicia. He was more upset about it being Johnny than anything else. Johnny showed a level of maturity with Alicia that he hadn't shown in alot of his past relationships so I would call it growth.

Johnny can literally have any girl out there in the world and he marries his best friend's girl? That's not growth. It makes him a terrible human being. You don't do that to your friends, and especially not in this situation where Ben can't exactly go pick up anyone he wants and date her. Growth would have been when the kiss happened, Johnny backing off and saying 'look Alicia, I could never do that to Ben, but I will always be your friend"

I think Julie Angel was the hottest girl the Torch ever dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Johnny can literally have any girl out there in the world and he marries his best friend's girl? That's not growth. It makes him a terrible human being. You don't do that to your friends, and especially not in this situation where Ben can't exactly go pick up anyone he wants and date her. Growth would have been when the kiss happened, Johnny backing off and saying 'look Alicia, I could never do that to Ben, but I will always be your friend"
    Have you ever heard of Thundra? She was interested in Ben as well as others. Johnny didn't put any moves on Alicia. They were two people that grew closer over time and it was mutual. Don't make this seem like she wass another conquest. And as I recall Ben was the best man at the wedding so he knew that Johnny wasn't pulling a fast one on him.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Have you ever heard of Thundra? She was interested in Ben as well as others. Johnny didn't put any moves on Alicia. They were two people that grew closer over time and it was mutual. Don't make this seem like she wass another conquest. And as I recall Ben was the best man at the wedding so he knew that Johnny wasn't pulling a fast one on him.
    She was interested in Ben because he was a great Warrior, nothing else. And he turned her down because he was devoted to Alicia. Who were these others that were interested in him? It doesn't matter that it was mutual, you don't let it come to that when it's your best friend's girl. At the very, VERY least he should have tracked Ben down and gotten his blessing. But then I guess Johnny also hooked up with a Super Villain for a while too, so he doesn't really have any moral standards.

That was never Alicia. It was a Skrull! A Skrull so good at her job she fooled even John Byrne.

Which, I now propose is how we test all spies' infiltration skills.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-29-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

According to some reason stuff on Byrne's blog, he was having second thoughts about the Johnny / Alicia thing but the marriage was carried out after he left the FF. And wasn't Ben sort of cheating on her when he was on Battleworld? I think she turned out to be an illusion or something. Ben had a thing going on with a woman that worked for Damage Control for a while.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."