View Poll Results: Which was Johnny's best romantic interest?

Voters
57. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Crystal

15 26.32%
  • Alicia Masters

5 8.77%
  • Lyja the Laserfist

16 28.07%
  • Frankie Raye aka Nova

5 8.77%
  • Namorita

1 1.75%
  • Cindy aka Psionics

1 1.75%
  • Other

14 24.56%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Read DARK WOLVERINE and you'll see where it came from (out of interest, why *shouldn't* Johnny be bi? What's the problem to your mind??)

Cheers.

James.
    The problem is changing a character with a long history for the sake of giving some kind of validity to a character like Daken. Isn't he dead anyway?
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The problem is changing a character with a long history for the sake of giving some kind of validity to a character like Daken. Isn't he dead anyway?
    Neither you nor I know Johnny has a long history of not being attracted to men, or that he never had it in him to be attracted to one guy (or seven). Daken doesn't know either, really. Because none of us are privy to Johnny still fictional Storm's every passing thought or inclination.

Anyhow, half the list are dead or MIA, from Frankie to Lyja. What's death in the MU?

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Neither you nor I know Johnny has a long history of not being attracted to men, or that he never had it in him to be attracted to one guy (or seven).
    Yes. We. Do.

Besides, the main reason this should never come is that Daken is a freaking psychopath incapable of feeling.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Lyja was the only one with a shred of maturity. And we need more Skrulls. Everywhere! Bring back Cadre K!
    I'm still waiting for the twelve part limited series starring Skymax, the Skrullian Skymaster of Earth 712.

Read DARK WOLVERINE and you'll see where it came from
    It comes from equal parts misunderstanding and wishful thinking. Nothing more.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

BANNED

Read DARK WOLVERINE and you'll see where it came from (out of interest, why *shouldn't* Johnny be bi? What's the problem to your mind??)

Cheers.

James.
    The problem is, he isn't. I've been reading FF since the mid 1970s and nothing I've ever seen in print suggests that Johnny isn't 100% straight.

The problem is changing a character with a long history for the sake of giving some kind of validity to a character like Daken.
    Thank you.
    Isn't he dead anyway?
    We can but hope.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    It comes from equal parts misunderstanding and wishful thinking. Nothing more.
    More of the latter than the former, I think.

Yes. We. Do.
    Okeh. I can't read the 24 hr a day mind of characters I only see snippets of in these comics. Y'all can. My mistake.

Besides, the main reason this should never come is that Daken is a freaking psychopath incapable of feeling.
    Daken's no worse than Doom and they pal up with him, repeatedly.

Not that I'm suggesting Reed wants to sex Doom.

But, then, that's most of what Daken/Johnny was... just Daken suggesting things. And maybe wishful thinking.

That it got to Johnny at all, in ways, again, that are left deliberately vague, is a thing. But it's not the thing we, as readers, make it out to be, because, again, it's deliberately vague.

For us readers who can't read the 24 hour a day minds of fictional characters, anyway, and aren't checking their physical reactions to sexual stimuli.

Okeh. I can't read the 24 hr a day mind of characters I only see snippets of in these comics. Y'all can. My mistake.

Not that I'm suggesting Reed wants to sex Doom.

But, then, that's most of what Daken/Johnny was... just Daken suggesting things. And maybe wishful thinking.

That it got to Johnny at all, in ways, again, that are left deliberately vague, is a thing. But it's not the thing we, as readers, make it out to be, because, again, it's deliberately vague.

For us readers who can't read the 24 hour a day minds of fictional characters, anyway, and aren't checking their physical reactions to sexual stimuli.
    No we can't read their minds...now. Marvel took away thought balloons as a device for the most part. But you know I can find the scans if I need too

Put the shoe on the other foot. What would a gay fan think if suddenly Wiccan goes straight and has Kate Bishop become his love interest?
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Put the shoe on the other foot. What would a gay fan think if suddenly Wiccan goes straight and has Kate Bishop become his love interest?
    He can't "go straight," cause there's still a past of clearly being interested in, turned on by men. He could easily realize he was bi, however, and live a nominally het life with a woman. Happens.

But, again going gay to straight or straight to gay implies the previous feelings or inclinations are invalidated. I'm not interested in invalidating any of that. But you can always add on.

And since the comics didn't, I dunno why anyone's getting too worried about it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Depends how closely you read those issues
    I keep the comic within 12 inches of my face

My vote also goes for Daken
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

He can't "go straight," cause there's still a past of clearly being interested in, turned on by men. He could easily realize he was bi, however, and live a nominally het life with a woman. Happens.

But, again going gay to straight or straight to gay implies the previous feelings or inclinations are invalidated. I'm not interested in invalidating any of that. But you can always add on.

And since the comics didn't, I dunno why anyone's getting too worried about it, anyway.
    Well, you know there are no such thing as bisexuals. Everybody is 100% gay or straight and have been so since birth, fully aware of their own sexuality in all aspects.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Well, you know there are no such thing as bisexuals. Everybody is 100% gay or straight and have been so since birth, fully aware of their own sexuality in all aspects.
    This is a joke post, yes?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

He is infinitely worse. Thanos has more morals and heart than Daken.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Then you do realize that the reverse is true if you apply it to Johnny. He has a past of being turned on by women. We don't have any indication otherwise.
    What I got out of the one issue I read was that Johnny was looking at him as a friend since they are about the same age. Daken has his own issues. IMO it was just a case of the writer trying and failing to be provocative....it's just annoying. As I said, using an established character to somehow validate another.

The FF are considered "old school" and the writer was trying to stir up some kind of controversy with this "are they or aren't they" storyline...or being trollish
    Just like the Rogue's silly graveside confession of having a romance with Sentry. Writers do like to jerk our chains sometimes.

Throwing Daken's name into the mix is going against what the OP is looking for anyway, which states the candidates have to have a dating relationship.