Page 96 of 213 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 3194
  1. #1426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I'm more Led Zepellin and Pink Floyd.
    AC DC. RUn DMC. KRS1. and the ones you and GH mentioned.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  2. #1427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I think what Hudlin did was critically important for this reason:most of the people who don't like BP won't like him regardless of what you do so why cater to them at all What's the point of trying to make him more palatable or to appeal to readers who don't like BP in the first place? Doing so only alienates the fans that really care about the character and does nothing for sales. And as far as new readers go, even those who may have been put off by Hudlin gained enough interest in the character to learn more. Again, those that don't like the characters regardless would never be inclined to check out Priest, McGregor's, McDuffies or even Stan or Jacks work. Why cater to the unfans(feels good saying that again)?


    That's not true however. I keep saying, in the end a lot of fans of Priest's Panther were turned off by Hudlin's writing and very blunt racial politics. The book store guy I gave as an example, and many others I know. And me. I think Priest got more notoriety after his run was done. But this isn't said to compare the two, but simply show that you can cater to MORE fans and not turn off so many or the ones alreay there depending on how you present the character. For instance, i may be mistaken, but many on here seem to like Priest as well as they do Hudlin.

    Hickman will be the next test of that.


    You want to drive interest in BP? Cater to the fans that actually care about the character because they are the ones that are going to stick with the character and give it good word of mouth. The unfans will only serve to be distractions.
    Or you can bring them on as well and get more fans

  3. #1428
    Queen of the Amazons 'Flo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dual Citizenship: Wakanda/Themyscira
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onyenkwere View Post

    I'm no more Hudlin's target audience than Tyler Perry's. I just know what I like reading in general.

    If it's flat like a pancake it's simply subjective like a bagel with cream cheese with a sliver or two if salmon.

    AvX's was an anti-T'Challa readers temporary wet dream cum true just before the reality morning glory sex that is Hickman's New Avengers #1.
    That was intense! I'm weak, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by jabu46 View Post
    I actually did like that art and some of the conversation...Storm's "we just got married! can't we just enjoy our honeymoon??" pouting grated on my nerves and didn't sound like her though. Even if it was a ploy to talk to T'challa in private, which that conversation didn't sound like her either.

    Hudlin got Namor's voice and level of arrogance surprisingly well though.
    I dont remember her pouting? Maybe I need to re-read the issue...

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    BTW that is an awesome angle, like someone posted a spy cam under the sea shelled couch!
    That's what I was thinking! Someone's on the outside... looking in.

    And jabu, I roll with the boys for a reason. Nothing is taboo. It's all good.
    SistaSoOfficial --CBB. -- THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

    Bring. Jenn. Back.
    Because harsh reality is clearly a handicap.

  4. #1429
    Queen of the Amazons 'Flo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dual Citizenship: Wakanda/Themyscira
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I think what Hudlin did was critically important for this reason:most of the people who don't like BP won't like him regardless of what you do so why cater to them at all What's the point of trying to make him more palatable or to appeal to readers who don't like BP in the first place? Doing so only alienates the fans that really care about the character and does nothing for sales. And as far as new readers go, even those who may have been put off by Hudlin gained enough interest in the character to learn more. Again, those that don't like the characters regardless would never be inclined to check out Priest, McGregor's, McDuffies or even Stan or Jacks work. Why cater to the unfans(feels good saying that again)?

    You want to drive interest in BP? Cater to the fans that actually care about the character because they are the ones that are going to stick with the character and give it good word of mouth. The unfans will only serve to be distractions.
    *slow clap* Solid post marvell.
    SistaSoOfficial --CBB. -- THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

    Bring. Jenn. Back.
    Because harsh reality is clearly a handicap.

  5. #1430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Flo View Post
    That was intense! I'm weak, lol.



    I dont remember her pouting? Maybe I need to re-read the issue...

    That's what I was thinking! Someone's on the outside... looking in.

    And jabu, I roll with the boys for a reason. Nothing is taboo. It's all good.
    She was more exasperated i guess, but it was whiny and didnt sound right.

    And I know how you roll, I was just kidding with onyen...onkwen...whats his name.

    I'm gonna go check out the NA board marvel2100 spoke of...

  6. #1431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    AC DC. RUn DMC. KRS1. and the ones you and GH mentioned.
    And yet no one has mentioned the Stones. Blasphemy.

  7. #1432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Flo View Post
    That was intense! I'm weak, lol.
    I been taking a leaf outta MajestiK's book of poetry.

    He's on a whole nother level of crazy. Lol!
    Somedays, I'm quite the humanitarian.

    No More Mutants

    You failed before you even came at me funny style

  8. #1433
    Member Memnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wakanda/Mars
    Posts
    533

    Default

    This young man has Wakandan potential!
    http://www.techyville.com/2012/12/ne...the-age-of-18/
    "It would trouble me if you believed you were ever my equal"

  9. #1434
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Hey all, I'm really sorry if I created a new "hater" meme because of my T'Challa and the flood comments. I really didn't mean to cause offense. I think I was guilty of a "Mossad on 9/11" type logical fallacy (As the Mossad's director himself said in an interview, because his agency has such a reputation of foiling terrorist plots, any time a terrorist plot does occur, such as 9/11, well they must have known about it. When they didn't prevent it, it must be because of a conspiracy.)

    Since T'Challa has so many contingency plans, I just assumed whatever happens to Wakanda must be part of his plan. I didn't mean to imply that what happened in AvX was T'Challa's fault.

    Man, I wanted to say something about the character and only managed to damage and alienate everyone.

    Dear God, I'm John Mayer.

    Hindsight lad
    Last edited by Hindsight lad; 12-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.

  10. #1435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabu46 View Post
    And yet no one has mentioned the Stones. Blasphemy.
    Figures you'd be "Under they're thumb". :)

    I'm a Voodoo Child All Along the Watchtower kissing Dolly Dagger in Cross Town Traffic kind've guy myself.
    Somedays, I'm quite the humanitarian.

    No More Mutants

    You failed before you even came at me funny style

  11. #1436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I think what Hudlin did was critically important for this reason:most of the people who don't like BP won't like him regardless of what you do so why cater to them at all What's the point of trying to make him more palatable or to appeal to readers who don't like BP in the first place? Doing so only alienates the fans that really care about the character and does nothing for sales. And as far as new readers go, even those who may have been put off by Hudlin gained enough interest in the character to learn more. Again, those that don't like the characters regardless would never be inclined to check out Priest, McGregor's, McDuffies or even Stan or Jacks work. Why cater to the unfans(feels good saying that again)?

    You want to drive interest in BP? Cater to the fans that actually care about the character because they are the ones that are going to stick with the character and give it good word of mouth. The unfans will only serve to be distractions.
    Bravo to marvell2100. :)
    Somedays, I'm quite the humanitarian.

    No More Mutants

    You failed before you even came at me funny style

  12. #1437
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    This young man has Wakandan potential!
    http://www.techyville.com/2012/12/ne...the-age-of-18/
    That's great news. I just found out students in Uganda have created their own electric car. Power through education.

  13. #1438

    Default

    Speaking on Hudlin, i heard so much negative about his initial run on top of the fact that when i actually picked his first run i was still mad at the end of the Priest run. My curiousity got the best of me and i ended up getting the series where Panther teams up with Luke Cage, and Voodoo. I have just finished reading it for the third time now and i have come away with the impression that Hudiln run Really read more as social commentary, as opposed to the Priest run that read as peek into the head of Tchalla. I now respect them both equally now and reject the people that just put down Hudlin because its that en vouge fan geek thing to do. Furthermore i'm looking to New Avengers as the very next step for Tchalla, how he fits into the large tapestry of marvel u!
    Comfortably numb is my state of being!

  14. #1439
    Queen of the Amazons 'Flo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dual Citizenship: Wakanda/Themyscira
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    This is the pic I wanted to post when we were talking about potential mates for T'Challa... but I couldn't do it from my phone.

    mshindo9 is such a sick artist... http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...indo9#/d4lpasn

    IMO, T'Challa's significant other needs to be a badass. There is nothing wrong with a wife outshining her husband in certain areas... As is the case in real life. They're not infallible, lol. He needs a ride or die chick (not in the Coming to America "bark like a dog" sense... *glares*), but one that can sit at the big boys table without feeling intimidated or out of place. She needs to be about Wakanda, about the people, but be a humanitarian as well; passionate, fierce, no-nonsense, and devoted but will put T'Challa in his place if the need be. :wink
    SistaSoOfficial --CBB. -- THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

    Bring. Jenn. Back.
    Because harsh reality is clearly a handicap.

  15. #1440
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    And yet no one has mentioned the Stones. Blasphemy.
    Question: Is Brown Sugar racist, or just catchy?

    Hindsight lad

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •