Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by funeralthirst7 View Post
    I havent read X-Men: Legacy or Fantastic Four yet (sitting in the pile still). Of the rest, Thor is the best of the bunch. Captain America and Indestructible Hulk were great and should stay at a high level. Uncanny Avengers was good but seems to be on a bit of a slower start. Given time, it could be awesome. Deadpool was good but looks to be more of a flash in the pan. the art was probably the best Deadpool has ever had but I have doubts as to whether or not the writing can hold intrest beyond one or two arcs.

Here here! I love Thor. I think it's the strongest so far. I haven't read Legacy either, but I've read everything else. I'd rank the Now books as such:

1. Thor God of Thunder
    2. Uncanny Avengers
    3. Captain America
    4. All-New X-Men
    5. Indestructible Hulk
    6. Deadpool
    7. FF
    8. Fantastic Four
    9. Iron Man

Again Legacy is the only book I haven't read yet.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Does anyone know why folks are hating on Thor so much? The reviews of #1 weren't very positive, and I've had a friend or two say the 3 timelines "ruined" the book. I found the first issue great and the second even better.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I've read most of the Marvel NOW! titles to see which I'll get in trade.

Hulk:
    Got it because I like Waid's Daredevil. It was really good! I'll definitely get the first HC! (Recommended)

FF:
    I was surprised of how much I liked this one! Will get the first trade of F4 because the first 2 issues of FF are in it. (Recommended)

F4:
    Just OK. Nothing bad, but nothing special. I'll get the first trade for FF.

Thor:
    Pretty good. Almost great. I had to get #2 to make my mind if I want to get the HC. I'll probably get it. (Recommended)

All-new X-Men:
    It was good but after 2 issues I'm still on the fence whether to get thr HC or not. Probably because of the bad things I've heard about Bendis over the years. Might check out #3 to make my mind.

Captain America:
    I found it just good. I guess it's because I'm not American and I could never connect with him.

Deadpool:
    Not good. Like a bad stand up comedy show. It's a shame because it has great art.

JiM:
    Good but didn't work for me.

Iron Man:
    Not good at all.

Uncanny Avengers:
    Couldn't even finish #1.

Haven't read X-Men Legacy and Red She-Hulk because I didn't like the concept and the previews.

So far I'll get Hulk and FF for sure, probably Thor and maybe All-new X-Men.

EDIT:
    Forgot Avengers Assemble. Didn't read that either.
    Last edited by new_onslaught; 11-29-2012 at 07:07 AM.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Does anyone know why folks are hating on Thor so much? The reviews of #1 weren't very positive, and I've had a friend or two say the 3 timelines "ruined" the book. I found the first issue great and the second even better.
    So far, I think it's only Newsarama (that I know of) that gave it a negative review.

Majority of reviews (and fan reaction) have been overwhelmingly positive.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    So far, I think it's only Newsarama (that I know of) that gave it a negative review.

Majority of reviews (and fan reaction) have been overwhelmingly positive.
    Robot 6 posted a plethora of reviews and off the top of my head IGN wasn't a big fan. Here's a link to the Chain Reactions: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...-of-thunder-1/

and here's a link to my review of #1 here and #2 here.

People should be going gaga for Thor God of Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Having sampled all but Deadpool and All New X Men....

Indestructible Hulk
    Thor
    Legacy
    Fantastic Four
    Red She Hulk
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Uncanny Avengers

I'm not going to lie, though; the best book there is only just 'good'. Not yet one has blown me away. At the same time, the worst one on there isn't completely irredeemably god awful, it's just a bad big superhero action book, a la Geoff Johns' Justice League.

Marvel Now is feeling very much like it's going to play middle of the margins; the highs won't be too high, but neither will the lows be very low.
    For some reason Red She Hulk isn't included as "new" on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!

Of what I read here's how it breaks down for me:

Thor - Fantastic! Best book of the relaunch as far as I'm concerned.
    FF - Again, fantastic. It looks like this book is going to be neck and neck with Thor if they continue on this path.
    Hulk - Another great book. I'm more impressed that I like since Hulk is my least favorite comic character behind Punisher.
    Journey into Mystery - Good stuff. I wasn't familiar with Mrs. Immomen at all, but I enjoyed her first issue of JiM more than anything I've read from Kelly Sue.
    F4 - I liked this book more than some, but it wasn't great - pretty standard hero fare. I'll give it a while, though, simply because FF was so good.
    Red She-Hulk - It's not great, but it's not bad. I'll probably give it a few more issues to win me over.
    Uncanny Avengers - Ugh. 1 issue was enough. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either. Nothing about it impressed me, and I think it's maybe Cassady's worst showing.
    All New X-Men - Please God strike it from my memory. This book was a train wreck. I'm glad I got to read it for free at a friends house...saved me picking up the trade later on. Man it's bad.

Updating as I read more books:

1. Captain America 10/10
    2. X-Men Legacy 10/10 - Haven't read #2 yet.
    3. FF 9/10 - Added. Sharp.
    4. Uncanny Avengers 9/10 - #2 was a vast improvement. Due primarily to the Red Skull and Rogue.
    5. Thor: God of Thunder 9/10
    6. Journey Into Mystery 8/10
    7. Fantastic Four 8/10
    8. Indestructible Hulk 7/10
    9. Deadpool 5/10 - Giving it the first arc, but not doing it for me just yet. Should be funnier or sadder or both.

Honestly I think the new series' are refreshing, strange, and nearly universally successful. The challenge will be keeping it up.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    All-New X-Men was decent, but some of the dialogue was really awkward (I had to fix some of the dialogue in my head as I read it in order for it to sound like something someone would actually say).
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    lol. I did that too!
    And it didn't get any better with #2. I really don't think Headmistress Kitty is the type to use the word "potty," unless maybe she was talking to a kid. The story itself is more interesting that I initially thought it would be, but Bendis' dialogue is just awful.

I don't think the three timelines thing is complex or confusing at all. I especially appreciate it as someone who has never read a Thor comic before (I'm only familiar with him through the movies). Seeing the three different versions of him gives me a greater insight into the character. Seeing that he's changed as a person over the years just makes him all the more realistic and engaging. It's an awesome book.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

Loved issue #2 of All-New X-Men and #2 of Thor

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

X-Men Legacy, Deadpool and Indestructible Hulk.
    I rule me.

For some reason Red She Hulk isn't included as "new" on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_NOW!
    Oh who cares what Wikipedia thinks

It's listed as part of the Marvel NOW lineup in Marvel's digital comic store:

http://comicstore.marvel.com/Marvel-...collection/716

Hopefully next week I'll be able to add Thunderbolts and Avengers to my recommendation list!

I'm personally enjoying Thor, Iron Man, All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers at the moment with my personal favourite being Iron Man at the moment.

Fantastic Four issue 1 was good as well. Future Foundation was okay as well though not a fan of Allred's art.

Thor: God of Thunder and All-New X-Men are probably top of my list at the moment. FF, Indestructible Hulk, and Uncanny Avengers are showing promise too.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    I don't think the three timelines thing is complex or confusing at all. I especially appreciate it as someone who has never read a Thor comic before (I'm only familiar with him through the movies). Seeing the three different versions of him gives me a greater insight into the character. Seeing that he's changed as a person over the years just makes him all the more realistic and engaging. It's an awesome book.
    Funny I read your post here right after reading The Buy Pile. He says:

There's a lot of dead gods in "Thor, God of Thunder" #2, which takes place in three different time periods as a "Butcher of Gods" struggles with the Odinson and.... However, trying to work in such sporadic chronological and spatial circumstances wasn't easy and didn't exactly work. Also, the antagonist was supposed to be chilling but instead came off as dull.
    Ouch. I think he disliked the first issue as well.