Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Avenging X-man View Post
    Did Mady serve any other purpose then to be jeans replacement soon after she died?

Then when Jean came back they pretended like Mady was an evil witch the whole time. But we still got Cable so....
    When the Uncanny X-Men were forced to take Madeylne Pryor out on missions she felt out of her depth. But she grew into something stronger, independent from Cyclops or Jean Grey. She became a true hero. And as another poster said in this thread, this aspect of her character was actually something she shared with Dazzler. They were forced to be superheroes because of their circumstances.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 11-25-2012 at 10:49 AM.

BANNED

maddie was great motivation for dazzler to get off her ass and do something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    maddie was great motivation for dazzler to get off her ass and do something useful.
    oblig
    dazzler_emma frost_cyclops_angela_longshot
    red hood_harley quinn_deadshot_aresenal_deathstroke

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    I like to think Claremont possessed some self-awareness back then.

There had to be something vaguely resembling a joke somewhere in there, right?
    Yes, maybe a joke about you referencing somebody else's self awareness

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Yes, maybe a joke about you referencing somebody else's self awareness
    Ha! Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Maddie was a misfire. She had her moments, yes. Even some decent dialogue, here and there. Still an epic misfire. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris View Post
    Wrong. X-Factor and Jean's return were the misfire.
    It's true, Uncanny X-Men was better written BUT X-Factor IMO was more entertaining cause it showed the Original 5 for what they really were. A bunch of jerks. I had great craic re-reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    X-Factor showed the Original 5 for what they really were. A bunch of jerks.
    THIS. soooooooo this.

It's true, Uncanny X-Men was better written BUT X-Factor IMO was more entertaining cause it showed the Original 5 for what they really were. A bunch of jerks. I had great craic re-reading it.
    On their own years later down the road still in their adolescence

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Uh, no, it's not comparable to Danvers marrying her rapist.
    Not in the sense of "two situations are exactly alike", but more of a "the two situations are obviously trainwrecks by writers lacking basic common sense".

You sound like a Tea Party Republican.
    You're only jealous because you can't see Russia from your house.

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I hated Maddie when she came out and hated what Claremont did with Cyclops....here was a man who had been a soldier in Xavier's army since he was 16 years old.
    Suddenly Claremont writes him to go off and *live the dream" in Alaska.
    I could see any Xman doing this except for two characters---Cyclops or Wolverine.
    Maddie did not deserve her fate but really it was Claremonts fault.
    If CC was really serious about Xavier's most driven soldier he could have instead have Scott fall in love and have a kid with someone completely different to Jean. Have him fall in love with some ebony goddess...not referring to Storm...or mohawk Storm at the time....and have a beautiful mix baby.
    That way when Jean came back it would have made it difficult...but not impossible of course.... for the Marvel staff to write off his leaving his wife and child in Alaska.
    So I guess I agree with what TB is writing....i need some coffee
    Yeah, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    The story of Maddie only became a mess when editorial fiat decreed that Jean Grey should come back so that X-Factor could feature the five original X-men, thus making Ms. Pryor something of a hindrance. That decision was doubly bad because it forced the removal of Maddie (eventually by turning her, retroactively, into a psychotic clone from Hell), and forced the turning of Scott into a deadbeat crybaby jerk, a stigmata he wore for something like twenty years thereafter.

It was not the creation of Madelyne that was a trainwreck; it was the stupid editorial decision of bringing Jean back. Love Jean as I do, she should have stayed dead after X-men 137.
    No, the idea of Madelyne was always a trainwreck because it still is a story in which Cyclops meets a woman that looks exactly like his dead ex-lover, falls for her immediately and marries her five issues after their first date, and NOBODY sees anything wrong with the relationship, not even in their own thoughts, and they all think it's awesome that they are together
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

And now we get to read them again! I hope Bendis writes them as the insufferable jerks they truly are.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel0606 View Post
    I Liked Maddie originally before they turned her evil, but I can see where Brevoort is coming from. Claremont wanted to have his cake and eat it too at the end of Madelyne's intro, by claiming she was the one in a million chance who accidentally looked like Jean (and sounded like her and was an aviation accident victim on the day of Phoenix's death and had a psi-shield and refused to talk about her past and and and).
    Claremont should have resolved her story then, made it clear that she either was Jean or very definitely ahd no no connection and all the other "coincidences" were caused by MAstermind or something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    Sounds like Hope Spalding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel0606 View Post
    Well, in all fairness to Hope, the only similarity is hair and eye color...
    And, a clear cut affinity to wield the Phoenix Force...

Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

Decent concept (especially with Sinister's later involvement) but the Goblin Queen nonsense ruined it.

The fact that The New Mutants got pulled into another stupid crossover concept over this makes it even worse.

The resulting destruction of Illyana's "character" during this arc was the nail in the coffin for me.

--

Asked about his intended plans for Madelyne's character, Claremont said:

“The original Madelyne storyline was that, at its simplest level, she was that one in a million shot that just happened to look like Jean Grey, [a.k.a. the first Phoenix]! And the relationship was summed up by the moment when Scott says: "Are you Jean?" And she punches him! That was in Uncanny X-Men #174. Because her whole desire was to be deeply loved for herself not to be loved as the evocation of her boyfriend's dead romantic lover and sweetheart.

I mean, it's a classical theme. You can go back to a whole host of 1930s films, 1940s, Hitchcock films—but it all got invalidated by the resurrection of Jean Grey in X-Factor #1. The original plotline was that Scott marries Madelyne, they have their child, they go off to Alaska, he goes to work for his grandparents, he retires from the X-Men. He's a reserve member. He's available for emergencies. He comes back on special occasions, for special fights, but he has a life. He has grown up. He has grown out of the monastery; he is in the real world now. He has a child. He has maybe more than one child. It's a metaphor for us all. We all grow up. We all move on.

Scott was going to move on. Jean was dead get on with your life. And it was close to be a happy ending. They lived happily ever after, and it was to create the impression that maybe if you came back in ten years, other X-Men would have grown up and out, too. Would Kitty stay with the team forever? Would Nightcrawler? Would any of them? Because that way we could evolve them into new directions, we could bring in new characters. There would be an ongoing sense of renewal, and growth and change in a positive sense.

Then, unfortunately, Jean was resurrected, Scott dumps his wife and kid and goes back to the old girlfriend. So it not only destroys Scott's character as a hero and as a decent human being it creates an untenable structural situation: what do we do with Madelyne and the kid? ... So ultimately the resolution was: turn her into the Goblin Queen and kill her off."

-- Chris Claremont

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelyne_Pryor

Wrong. X-Factor and Jean's return were the misfire.
    1. I'll bite: Why is it that not one BP/Storm detractor sees a single similarity between the two laughable "wedded bliss" scenarios? At least BP can brag about not being an OC that looks exactly like Storm's ex.

2. For Claremont to think that no editor would ever think "Did we have Cyclops retire? WTF were we thinking?" was an hilarious miscalculation. Maddie literally embodied said miscalculation.

ButterRum, not Butter Rum ButterRum's Avatar

She was with Armor. They're saved by Pixie. The part where Chimera goes here chickichickichicki or something.

Lands art was great too.

Was that not Queen Jean aka the Red Queen pretending to be Madeylne Pryor? I remember Emma Frost met her in that Gen X/X-Man crossover with Dark Beast.
    Emma is totally giving Lady M a donkey punch.

LAAAAAND.
    Never Forgive. Never Forget. Justice for Butter Rum. ♥
    Emma Frost Week: Winner of Best Emma Frost Avatar