View Poll Results: Pick THREE - What are your favorite Grayson origin stories? (Pick 3)

Voters
60. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Detective Comics #38: Robin, The Boy Wonder

11 18.33%
  • Secret Origins #13: Nightwing

0 0%
  • Batman #463-469: Year Three

8 13.33%
  • Secret Origins #50: The Glimpse

1 1.67%
  • Robin Annual #4: The Flying Graysons

3 5.00%
  • Legends of the Dark Knight #100: The Choice

4 6.67%
  • Dark Victory

21 35.00%
  • Nightwing: Year One

9 15.00%
  • BTAS: Robins Reckoning

17 28.33%
  • All Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder

11 18.33%
  • Nightwing #0

7 11.67%
  • Batman Forever

3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Robin's Reckoning.

No Robin Year 1?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

It just didn't occur to me at the time to group Year One as an origin story. I didn't forget about it, it's just...not an origin story. Any more than Long Halloween is an origin for Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    It just didn't occur to me at the time to group Year One as an origin story. I didn't forget about it, it's just...not an origin story. Any more than Long Halloween is an origin for Batman.
    How's that?

Maybe not the origin of the name or something. But short of the conception and birth of Grayson, any moment that redirects of concretizes his life and persona is an origin story, isn't it? If it seems to generate a new sense of him-ness.

To be honest Batman Forever looks really good as a choice. Not so much because the others are bad, but because it presents Robin as full blown adult, and he functions with Batman as a partner and a team his equal, not a young ward/son/kid.

The two most popular and successful versions of Robin are from the The Animated Series and Batman Forever which both present him as an adult. In TAS hes a college student and occasionally comes home and fights crime.

Those were the two version I knew growing up so when I saw him portrayed much younger in comics and seeing people consider him a downgrade made it weird for me since I wasnt used to that.

Also Batman Forever had the best designed Robin suit which was copied into the comics updated Tim costume and the Arkham Asylum game.
    Last edited by Cypher-Z; 11-28-2012 at 01:47 AM.

No love for LOTDK 100? I'm the only one who has voted for it so far it seems. I'm guessing the majority of people here haven't read it. I recommend tracking it down. I think it's collected somewhere but not sure. I think Denny O'Neil did a good job retelling the origin, plus it's got some killer art by Dave Taylor (the same artist who did the Batman: Death by Design graphic novel that came out earlier this year).

Robin's Reckoning is great, I think they did a perfect origin story for Robin there
    Year Three is another favorite of mine

ASB&R has a very good origin for Robin, it's great in the crazy world of a crazy Batman
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    But there's nothing unintentional about All-Star, really.
    I agree. Practically everything Frank Miller writes is riddled with humour, but for some reason people seem to think the humour in ASBAR is accidental.

All-star is my favorite as it shows a darker side to the whole story of Dick turning into Robin. Also Jim Lee's drawing of the Bat cave really is spectacular

Went with Detective #38 (obviously), Robin's Reckoning (I just recently watched that on one of animated movies Blu-ray) and Nightwing #0 due to it being the new origin that actually was how I figured it had gone with him being older. Most surprising to me is how many of these I haven't read. ASB&R I never plan to scar myself beyond the first two issues I unfortunately encountered. Think I'll hunt down the Robin Annual #4, Legends #100, Dark Victory and Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by robowizard View Post
    All-star is my favorite
    It takes all kinds...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Of the one's listed BTAS followed by Dark Victory and Dectective #38. But personally my favorite Dick Grayson Robin story is Year One.

I voted TEC '38 but I'd also like to share some scans from
    Len Wein's The Untold Legend of the Batman.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	106708

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	106709

Name:	scan0003.jpg 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	106710
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 01-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Name:	scan0004.jpg 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	106711

Name:	scan0005.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	106712
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison