View Poll Results: Pick THREE - What are your favorite Grayson origin stories? (Pick 3)

Voters
60. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Detective Comics #38: Robin, The Boy Wonder

11 18.33%
  • Secret Origins #13: Nightwing

0 0%
  • Batman #463-469: Year Three

8 13.33%
  • Secret Origins #50: The Glimpse

1 1.67%
  • Robin Annual #4: The Flying Graysons

3 5.00%
  • Legends of the Dark Knight #100: The Choice

4 6.67%
  • Dark Victory

21 35.00%
  • Nightwing: Year One

9 15.00%
  • BTAS: Robins Reckoning

17 28.33%
  • All Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder

11 18.33%
  • Nightwing #0

7 11.67%
  • Batman Forever

3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Best Dick Grayson Origin Story

What do you think is the best? My favorite is ASBAR because of how unintentionally hilarious it is.

I'm going to vote All-Star, right now. But there's nothing unintentional about All-Star, really. And, anyhow, I'm not voting for it because of the funny stuff, really, so much as Dick being this amazing kid throughout. He's traumatized, he's young, but he's holding together better than most of the adults, and you know, if it does lead all the way to DKSA it's tragic.

detective comics #38 honestly

All Star because it's deranged and awesome and, in all seriousness, the most substantial and insightful portrayal of Bruce and Dicks early relationship.

Year Three, reread this recently when Comixology ran a Nightwing sale, it still holds up. Needs to be collected.

Nightwing Year One, for that scene with Jason smoking cigarettes, in full costume, on a pier looking out to the ocean, being a punk.

Added a poll

Quote Originally Posted by *Batman View Post
    detective comics #38 honestly
    Haven't read all the stories listed in the poll, but I tend to like the clean simplicity of the original as well.

Definitely wouldn't have chosen the recent Nightwing #0 . . . that was the final straw for me in term of buying Nightwing on a regular basis. (DeFalco filling in for tthe Shiva story arc is also a turn-off. I'll probably buy Death of the Family chapters, but then drop this turkey again unless they maybe nuke the circus.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Add Robin: Year One to this list.

It's that. I guess it's not strictly his "secret origin" because it takes place immediately after that, but Chuck Dixon and incomparable, gorgeous art from Javier Pulido. His first days as Robin. His first mission. His first setback. His first opponent.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Robin Year One, by Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty.

Of what's listed I think I'll vote for All-Star, based pretty much exclusively on the issue in the yellow room with Green Lantern.

My favorite Robin story in general would be that of Damian Wayne in Morrisons Bat-run, and his B&R particularly, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    SNAP!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Robin: Year One/Gauntlet was pretty good although not quite a full origin

Annual 4 was a nice, basic story

All Star was mediocre overall but #9 was the best comic ever done with the character

Frank Miller's take on his origin not only makes the most sense, but it's also the most flattering to the character.

I understand Bruce is painted as a crazy person, but Dick is setup with the potential to be an even better Batman than Bruce is, and if you are an OG Robin fan, it doesnt get much better than that.

'Dark Victory' is easily one of the best comic book versions...it really does a great job incorporating the origin into the overall context of Batman's early years. There was also that great scene drawing parallels between Dick's first night at the Wayne Manor and the flashback of Bruce's first night at the Manor after his parent's deaths...which also highlights the role Alfred played in raising both traumatized young boys.

The 'Robin's Reckoning' episode of BTAS likewise does a great job...Dick going off on his own to tackle Zucco, with Batman secretly observing him, reveals a great deal of initiative on Dick's part and goes a long way towards explaining why Bruce would reasonably think a 10-12 year old kid had the potential to be a crime-fighting vigilante. Nightwing # 0 actually used this part from the episode, which I quiet liked (though the origin had some other significant flaws).

Last but not the least, I believe that whatever else Batman Forever got wrong, it did a pretty good job of Robin's origin.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Robin's Reckoning, Dark Victory, and (Not on the list, but should be) Robin: Year One.

All-Star has the most votes?!?!? It's trash (sans the Jim Lee art)!

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post

It's that. I guess it's not strictly his "secret origin" because it takes place immediately after that, but Chuck Dixon and incomparable, gorgeous art from Javier Pulido. His first days as Robin. His first mission. His first setback. His first opponent.
    Robin Year one is amazing, definitely my favorite.

Of these though I think it's a toss up between Nightwing #0 and Nightwing Year One. The latter isn't exactly a Robin origin but it's great none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Robin's Reckoning, Dark Victory, and (Not on the list, but should be) Robin: Year One.

All-Star has the most votes?!?!? It's trash (sans the Jim Lee art)!
    I

It's only trash if you take it too seriously. The OP says it was unintentionally hilarious but there's no way Miller was just oblivious to the fact he was writing an extremely comedic bat story lol.

That said, i voted Dark Victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Wingnut View Post
    Frank Miller's take on his origin not only makes the most sense, but it's also the most flattering to the character.

I understand Bruce is painted as a crazy person, but Dick is setup with the potential to be an even better Batman than Bruce is, and if you are an OG Robin fan, it doesnt get much better than that.
    I consider Miller's popularity dubious, and Jim Lee's art highly overrated, but even I thought Frank Miller really showed genuine affection for just what a bad-ass little kid Dick Grayson has always been. ASBAR is pretty fun.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com