Question Anyone Know the name of this Comic Book?

Hi,

I'm trying to track down one of the first comic books I ever purchased.

I bought the color horror comic book in the mid-80's, but it could have been from the 50s, 60s, or 70s.

The horror comic book was similar to EC, but I think it was an independent.

The cover had a man trapped in a cemetary, with a "ghoul" in the background (the man is trying to open a locked gate, etc.)

One of the stories I remember from the comic is about a prisoner who plots his escape with the help if a fellow inmate who helps to bury other dead inmates.

In true horror irony, the inmate hides away in the coffin with the dead body of just another inmate and waits to be dug up by his accomplice. Turns out that his accomplice dies of a heart attack and the inmate is buried alive.

Some of you suggested the title if "A matter if grave concern". But the covers don't match.

The story does match almost word for word the 1964 Alfrec Hitchcock presents series titled "The Final Escape".

Anyone have any links where I can search old horror comic book covers (non EC)?

I am so thankful this awesome website exists. :)
    Last edited by Gabygirl35; 11-24-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Gabygirl35 - sorry I can't help you but I'm pretty sure one of the other members will be able to help (they are extremely knowledgeable) much more than I when it comes to things like this. But I did want to say Hi & welcome you as well seeing that you are brand new on CBR and Classic Comics. Its a really wonderful site so I hope you have a great time here!

http://www.comics.org/ has hundreds of thousands of comics you can search though, but you will need to know the title you want to search for first.

I'm not familiar with the story you're looking for, but it sounds like the kind of stuff DC was doing from the late 60's through the early 80's. It could be indie as you suggest, but most indie stuff from the 80's was black and white and there wasn't a lot of horror. If it's not DC it could possibly be Charlton or something. The plot feels like a DC anthology story to me, though, which would mean Unexpected, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, The Witching Hour or something like that.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    http://www.comics.org/ has hundreds of thousands of comics you can search though, but you will need to know the title you want to search for first.

I'm not familiar with the story you're looking for, but it sounds like the kind of stuff DC was doing from the late 60's through the early 80's. It could be indie as you suggest, but most indie stuff from the 80's was black and white and there wasn't a lot of horror. If it's not DC it could possibly be Charlton or something. The plot feels like a DC anthology story to me, though, which would mean Unexpected, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, The Witching Hour or something like that.
    Thank you so much! :) I want to say that House of Mystery sounds familiar, but I've collected a lot of the EC reprints and I could be confusing a title. :)

I tried the comics.org website and checked under synopsis, but none of the links was the right one. I will try a house of mystery cover search on google and see if anything looks familiar. :)

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Gabygirl35 - sorry I can't help you but I'm pretty sure one of the other members will be able to help (they are extremely knowledgeable) much more than I when it comes to things like this. But I did want to say Hi & welcome you as well seeing that you are brand new on CBR and Classic Comics. Its a really wonderful site so I hope you have a great time here!
    Thank you so much! :) this site is awesome and the members are treasure tribes of knowledge. :) I look forward to learning more about some of my favorite comics and new ones to read as well.
    :)

I also wanted to add that the cover art of the man trapped in the graveyard with a ghoul or zombie in the background (maybe per-zombie era?) did not have anything to do with any of the stories. There were no ghouls or guys trapped in a cemetary. In a way, the cover didn't really match the contents.

Hi Gaby - there's quite a few members on here, so pretty much anything you want to know they can find out at some point, or know somebody who does. The combined knowledge of some of them is quite staggering.

Thank you so much, everybody! I think I found it! :) now if only u could look inside....lol!

http://http://marvel.wikia.com/Crypt_of_Shadows_Vol_1_15#Appearing_in_.22The_Man_ Who_Sold_His_Soul.21.22

Crypt of Shadows is what I found also doing a more detailed search of the content at:

http://www.xowcomics.com/issue_stori...ssue_id=204900

Searches in this site are a little more "logically consistent" and the interface is much easier to use, especially for searching.

[QUOTE=nyrdyv;16205974]xowcomics.com[/url]

Off topic, what is that site about? It's the most frustratng site I've seen in years! Not because it's bad (if so I'd just leave and not get frustrated) but because it looks really good... except it doesn't say what it is. Something about comics, presumably? With a good search engine for story descriptions?

There's no "about" and no welcome" - except for the word welcome, so I guess that's the only clue they are willing to give. Is it the online presence for a real world store? Is it an online store? A fan-created list of comics? A wiki? A fan site with stuff about comics? The front end for a discussion forum? A hib for original material? An aggregator for stuff from elsewhere? A jack of all trades, master of none? A holdover from the nineties when everyone wanted to be an ill-defined "portal" site? They seem to have a toolbar, so that suggests they're bigger than just one earnest fan in his bedroom, but that and the design again suggest nineties. What exactly is it? Sorry to be dense. I'm sure this is obvious to everyone but me.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrdyv View Post
    Crypt of Shadows is what I found also doing a more detailed search of the content at:

http://www.xowcomics.com/issue_stori...ssue_id=204900

Searches in this site are a little more "logically consistent" and the interface is much easier to use, especially for searching.
    Thank you so much! :) What did you put in the search terms to find Crypt of Shadows? I put in buried alive, but didn't get the Crypt.

Update: I typed convict excape in the synopsis field and voila! :) thank you so much ! :) I may treat myself to this for my bday. :)
    Last edited by Gabygirl35; 11-25-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: More info added

Quote Originally Posted by Gabygirl35 View Post
    Thank you so much! :) What did you put in the search terms to find Crypt of Shadows? I put in buried alive, but didn't get the Crypt.

Update: I typed convict excape in the synopsis field and voila! :) thank you so much ! :) I may treat myself to this for my bday. :)
    I put in the following terms: horror convict coffin

The result was a only a dozen issues so it was easy then to find the story that matched your description and timeframe of publication. You can see the exact search I did here:

http://www.xowcomics.com/search.htm?...t+coffin&q_g=0

Notice the search I ran is already filled in for you in the interface when you follow the link. Makes it easy to find these types of things and share them with others, obviously.

[QUOTE=tolworthy;16206175]
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdyv View Post
    xowcomics.com[/url]

Off topic, what is that site about? It's the most frustratng site I've seen in years! Not because it's bad (if so I'd just leave and not get frustrated) but because it looks really good... except it doesn't say what it is. Something about comics, presumably? With a good search engine for story descriptions?

There's no "about" and no welcome" - except for the word welcome, so I guess that's the only clue they are willing to give. Is it the online presence for a real world store? Is it an online store? A fan-created list of comics? A wiki? A fan site with stuff about comics? The front end for a discussion forum? A hib for original material? An aggregator for stuff from elsewhere? A jack of all trades, master of none? A holdover from the nineties when everyone wanted to be an ill-defined "portal" site? They seem to have a toolbar, so that suggests they're bigger than just one earnest fan in his bedroom, but that and the design again suggest nineties. What exactly is it? Sorry to be dense. I'm sure this is obvious to everyone but me.
    Many of the links in the site are under "rollover" menus; most items, for instance, in the main navigation bar, at the top of each page, there are loads of links shown when you point at an item.

For instance, there is an "About Us" page under the "Site Map" item in the main navigation. You can see that page directly at:

http://www.xowcomics.com/about_us.htm

To answer your main question: the site is an archive/index of as many comic books we can possibly find in the world. It records as many details as we can possibly find about every comic book. This includes not just content, but scans of covers, title pages, original artwork, etc.

And, yes, that is a huge task and it will probably never be 100% complete. There are a couple hundred volunteer "editors" that have access to manage the data in the site and they are always adding more. We also have half a dozen "external" data sources that we share comic book details with to help keep the content in the site as complete as possible. Obviously, the content is always evolving, growing, expanding, and being corrected.

Use of the site is completely free and we do not do any sales thru the site. We do adverts on the site for small/indie publishers specifically for free to even help them promote their releases. With an account, you can create your own "Haves" and "Wants" lists for managing your collection. You can even use the site to publish your Wants list to help your LCS (Local Comic Shop) track down issues you want to purchase. Heck you can see what I am currently seeking at:

http://www.xowcomics.com/users/nyrdyv/

I like hearing feedback of all kinds. Please do let me know, either here or using the feedback in the site to let me know how we can improve it for you. Development of the site and the tools has been driven primarily by user feedback over the years, and it is not uncommon to have a pretty quick turnaround on new or changed features directly to feedback from people just like you.

Sorry, this ran a bit long. I do not do much promotion for the site at all. We rely just on word of mouth for traffic. I am a "techie" that has collected comic books since I was a kid and just the last few years have acquired the resources and time (i.e. money, and now "semi-retired") to build such a site for everyone to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabygirl35 View Post
    Thank you so much, everybody! I think I found it! :) now if only u could look inside....lol!
    Scans can be seen here from the original publication of the story you remember. It was first printed in a 1952 comic book. The edition you read was a reprint.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve

G
    Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher View Post
    Scans can be seen here from the original publication of the story you remember. It was first printed in a 1952 comic book. The edition you read was a reprint.
    I love that website and think its so great to be able to see the scans. :) makes me think about starting to collect comics again. :)