View Poll Results: Rate DWF/UWS

Voters
38. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in

0 0%

2 5.26%

8 21.05%

8 21.05%

8 21.05%

3 7.89%

5 13.16%

3 7.89%

0 0%

1 2.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I am stunned by how many people gave this higher than a 6/10. Even giving it a 6/10 seems crazy to me.
    I gave it higher because Ultimate X-men was great. Giving a rating less then 6 would imply that Ultimate X-Men wasn't any better then Ultimates.

I am stunned by how many people gave this higher than a 6/10. Even giving it a 6/10 seems crazy to me.
    I landed at 6/10, mostly because of the setup and Ultimate X-Men. Wood's side of things were nothing short of awesome. And I loved the politically charged turmoil that surrounded the event. Ultimate Spider-man's issues were not great, but they were at the very least solid. Though they served more as good standalone Spidey issues than event tie-ins. The only thing that was really bad about the event was Ultimates; and that was more in execution than in concept. I still liked the ideas that were being presented (well, most of the ideas), just not how they were presented.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

BANNED

I reckon once I've read the event again in February's DWF/UWS Hardcover Collection, it'll probably land with a 6.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    I gave it higher because Ultimate X-men was great. Giving a rating less then 6 would imply that Ultimate X-Men wasn't any better then Ultimates.
    Not necessarily, I gave Ultimates a 2/10, UCSM 4/10 and UCXM a 9/10. The average of the three is 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I landed at 6/10, mostly because of the setup and Ultimate X-Men. Wood's side of things were nothing short of awesome. And I loved the politically charged turmoil that surrounded the event. Ultimate Spider-man's issues were not great, but they were at the very least solid. Though they served more as good standalone Spidey issues than event tie-ins. The only thing that was really bad about the event was Ultimates; and that was more in execution than in concept. I still liked the ideas that were being presented (well, most of the ideas), just not how they were presented.
    While I agree that the UCSM issues weren't bad as stand alone, I graded down because for the most part they did not participate in the event with the exception of the last issue. I suppose the issue where Hydra attacked Cap could almost be considered a tie in, but it was a poor one at best. I would definitely rate the individual issues higher if the DWF/UWS factor wasn't included.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I rated this a 4/10.

When the event started I was intrigued to see how they would continue reconstructing of the Ultimate Marvel U. Towards the end I realized Marvel wasn't trying to make something new and progressive. They were just trying to capitalize on trendy Young Adult themes and doing a bad job of it. The politics were awful, ignoring the reality of a fractured country in favor of political and regional caricatures. Over time I grew to hate that map, it was lip service to some unifying theme. In reality the writers were just doing their own thing.

Bendis' USM was familiar to our own world. The gears of society were still turning but national strife had led to the erosion of civil liberties and highly organized form of homegrown terrorism. It was smartly done, and you get the sense that Bendis could do an amazing run if left to his own devices.

Humphries' Ultimates is in a terribly drawn cartoon world (Both literally and figuratively). The idea of President Captain American riding a flag adorned sky bike, fighting other Americans, and developing a cult of personality is stomach churning. Recently I heard someone categorize a specific Right Wing fantasy as being "the US government as portrayed by the oiled up Spartans of 300," and that perfectly describes the Ultimates. It is a boring comic that is either simplistic or outright creepy, it all depends on how deep you want to dig.

Wood's UXM started off really well but it is annoyingly close to a YA dystopian paperback. "Young teenagers join together to fight terrorists only to be betrayed by their own government. Left to fend for themselves in a dangerous hardscrabble world. There is back stabbing and romance at every turn." It all feels retread and a bit awkward within a superhero world. Seriously, "President Captain America" forced hundreds of underaged American Citizens to take an elective medical procedure or risk relinquishing their citizenship to live unsupervised in a remote desert concentration camp. (It is even implied that they would be killed if they leave.) I think that qualifies as a "crime against humanity..."

All three Ultimate books are in radically different worlds but I only care to continue reading about Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man.

That always seems to be the case.
    Last edited by Jarocho; 12-06-2012 at 07:13 AM.

In complete agreement with Jarocho.

Especially on that map! Pet peeve of mine, I ignored that page every chance I got. It never felt like anyone or anything was actually progressing or moving from one place to the other. So glad that Ultimates didn't gain any stupid sales from the President America thing either. It was obvious from the start that that was the plan, and they made Ribic and Hickman leave their potential masterpiece for a stupid gimmick that backfired horribly.
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

While I agree that the UCSM issues weren't bad as stand alone, I graded down because for the most part they did not participate in the event with the exception of the last issue. I suppose the issue where Hydra attacked Cap could almost be considered a tie in, but it was a poor one at best. I would definitely rate the individual issues higher if the DWF/UWS factor wasn't included.
    Yeah, I definitely feel that too. I just decided to stop caring about the crossover, because I could tell it wasn't happening. It was just three stories that happened to take place at the same time. And that's too bad, really, but it is what it is.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Yeah, I definitely feel that too. I just decided to stop caring about the crossover, because I could tell it wasn't happening. It was just three stories that happened to take place at the same time. And that's too bad, really, but it is what it is.
    I really wanted to see Miles fighting some Nimrod Sentinels alongs side some X-Men. I know covers are usually not very predictive of the story within but that 3 piece with Kitty, Cap and Miles fighting Nimrods really got me hyped. Then it was a big let down.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!