Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of New 52 Brainiac?

Okay I know I'm really late on this but, in retrospect, what do you think of his new origin and look. I think this was pretty huge news since he is kinda of a classic villain. I personally like his humanoid apperance but I guess the caterpillar-like one is okay.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

major points off of an otherwise great story.

I have no problem with the caterpillar look but I don't think it's my favorite either. The part where The Collector talks about all the planets and the names he was given and on Earth how he was The Internet - that was really cool.

Liked him a lot better than the Milton Fine incarnation. Look forward to his return.

A fantastic re-imagining. There's nothing special about his appearance, but what makes the incarnation great has nothing to do with the appearance. Its just the way the character was crafted, using our modern day way of life in regards to the internet to tie the Collector in with his arrival and his ability to infect Earth and other planets. His motivations for bottling cities are also not so cut-and-dry evil anymore, considering we know now that he was preserving civilizations that were already targeted for destruction by Vyndktvx. All that stuff made it great. His look when it all comes down to it is incidental. The character's very nature makes it cake for any writer to change his body at their whim.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.

I think we all assumed that at some point, the Collector and the Brainiac AI would merge into one character. Now that Action Comics has jumped ahead in time, I wonder if that merge has taken place and there is now a villain named Brainiac out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
    Liked him a lot better than the Milton Fine incarnation.
    lol yeah, seriously. Caterpillar is not my favorite, but I'm not going to pretend things couldn't be worse.

There's no need for Braniac/Collector to be locked to the caterpillar look, as well. Braniac was steering Metal-0, too. It's a system, not a form.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    There's no need for Braniac/Collector to be locked to the caterpillar look, as well. Braniac was steering Metal-0, too. It's a system, not a form.
    There's that.
    I like him because he is the most inhuman of them all. Not necessarily in the sense in was the biggest monster, but because he didn't look and didn't speak like a human, which gave him something......;a bit unerving about him. And his "I have many names" speech was kinda cool. And I also kinda liked he saw himself as a good guy.
    Curious to see what others will do with him later on. It seems a bit unlikely he will come back as the Collectgor proper, with the ship and all, but that's the greatness of AIs in comics. As long as they can dowload into something, they will come back.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

I liked it, it was creepy looking. Bit like Franks design on some ways but still very original. More like Mr.Mind? A super worm!

It played the job well, but honestly nothing memorable. I'd like to see Snyder or Lobdell use Braniac in another story and not just have him play a small part to a big story.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Not for me. Give me Brainiac not the collector.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Hmmm...centipede.

I preferred the more humanoid renditions.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Love it. Love the Caterpillar look and the integration of the Collector. One of my favorite things about Morrison's run.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

It was great. A complex re-imagining that became infinitely more resonant with 'today', visually more exciting, and more tightly tied to the main hero, Superman.

Awesome.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/