Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Ok so last day of the year, time to formulate goals for the coming year...

1. Continue to read more comics (personal goal is 1000 for the year, I'd like the bulk to be comics I already own but haven't read yet)
    2. Acquire a few select pieces (statues, busts, cool action figures, prints, or original art) to add to office decor
    3. participate in the Classic Comics comic exchange here on the boards
    4. recomplete my Wolfman/Perez run ( I need NTT (1st) #11 and Tales of the Teen Titans #44)-I had the run once upon a time but sold it when I downsized for a move
    5. continue to work on my Master of Kung Fu and Marvel Conan the Barbarian runs
    6. branch out and acquire more of the Marvel b&w mags from the 70's, I have a fair few but would like to fill in runs and sample a few series I haven't tried yet
    7. Work on completing the following DC series-Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter (3 issues), Warlord (23 issues all post-100) and Arion: Lord of Atlantis (9 issues)
    8. work on acquiring comics based on favorite "pulp" flavored characters (Shadow, Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, John Carter, Tarzan, Phantom, etc.)
    9. trim the fat on current pull list and on books I have read and own but have no desire to reread or hang on to
    10. track down and/or sample books that piqued my interest from the 12 Days of Christmas event

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Make or break year for me, I think, though this is more related to current than classic comics. I want to see a lot more enjoyment from what I'm reading over the next 6 months than I've had from the last 3 months, or I think I'm going to step away again. More on the classic front, and assuming I don't just give up on comics, I want to catch up with stuff I've accumulated but not got anywhere near reading yet- eg Prometheus, Invisibles, the Giffen/DeMatteis JLA, the Alan Davis Killraven, Scalped, Tom Strong and go back and read the first 100 or so issues of Cerebus and all of Master of Kung Fu & Nextwave

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    Make or break year for me, I think, though this is more related to current than classic comics. I want to see a lot more enjoyment from what I'm reading over the next 6 months than I've had from the last 3 months, or I think I'm going to step away again.
    I'm a bit more forgiving of current books, considering that I buy quite a bit of them, but mostly several months after they're published (with few exceptions...like several DC New 52s). I think I felt the way you did in the 90s, especially when I came across something by Rob Liefeld).
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I was lucky enough to miss the whole of the 90s - I think I baled last time in 86 or 87 (about 1 year after CoIE, whenever that was), and didn't really come back until about 2004 or so. Looking back, there's precious little (at least from the big 2) that I regret missing - that big hair / big chests* / big guns era sucked big time.

(* men as well as women)

My goals for 2013 pretty much just continue from my 2012 goals. First, continue reading my unread backlog, with a goal of reducing my 2 long boxes of unread stuff to less than a short box, which I think will be a reasonable amount to maintain long term. Second, continue work on completing my Avengers collection. With 30 issues to go, it may be tough to finish this year, but since I've got all the older more expensive stuff, it may be doable.

Otherwise, I'm just looking to get and read as much good stuff as I can.

It'll be funny to read this 365 days from now to see if it holds true.

Runs to work on -

FF 150 - 350. I only need about 25 issues so this should be a go except the Hulk issues 166-167 because I never see these in High Grade.

Power Man and Iron Fist 50 - 125 - Only need about a dozen issues and should be able to finish this off at the big Convention here in May.

Doctor Strange - 1-10 and 81. That last issue is proviong tough to find, the first 10 issues I just haven't found in the grade I want.

All-Star Squadron - I have about 20 issues, including the first 8, and I want to put a dent in it this year.

I also want to buy 5 .12 cent Marvel's in 8.0 or better. I'm not being too choosy about which titles.

I also tend to find one or two runs for fifty cents each that give me a new series to start on. ROM in 2011 and Marvel Team Up last year. I must have got about 70 issues of each series in unread condition for fifty cents on the dollar. Who knows what 2013 will bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I also want to buy 5 .12 cent Marvel's in 8.0 or better. I'm not being too choosy about which titles.?
    Is it just to have 5 high-grade 60s Marvels?

I'm hoping to increase my GA collection. I settle for minimum VGs...scared of the higher-grades offered which aren't professionally graded because I'm not an expert at spotting all kinds of restoration and I don't want to own trimmed books....

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Here's my "comics to read" pile:
    1) Pre-Crisis Action/Superman (for the review thread);
    2) Fantastic Four 160-215 and associated annuals;
    3) About 20 issues of DC Tarzan acquired from the Classics Comics Exchange;
    4) A big stack of Dr. Strange #14-60 (only about 10 of which I already had), soon-to-have-been acquired from the Classics Comics Exchange;
    5) Re-reads of Foolkiller 1-10, Squadron Supreme 1-12, Kobra 1-7 & Five Star, and Cages 1-10.

And I know I'm missing a few, as I'm going from memory, without the books in front of me. Maybe I should actually stop buying stuff for a while! But seriously, this pile, without adding anything, will last me until the end of the school year.

And I STILL want to do a review thread on 1980s Amazing Spider-Man/Peter Parker/Marvel Team-Up, to be read in the order they were released. I guess that'll be in the fall...
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 01-18-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Rather than waiting to the end of the year, I will check in on this from time to time to see how I am doing...

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

1. Continue to read more comics (personal goal is 1000 for the year, I'd like the bulk to be comics I already own but haven't read yet)]
    Well
    I am reading but not at the pace I was last year, too many things going on around the house right now to have a lot of reading time.

2. Acquire a few select pieces (statues, busts, cool action figures, prints, or original art) to add to office decor
    Picked up a custom Mego Darkseid and a pair of Hot Wheels Batmobiles and Darkseid cruiser van Hot Wheels to put on display in the office, but haven't found a killer piece to add yet.

Have been doing this in spades. Sent out three packages last Monday, have another four to go to the post office on Tuesday this week (no post on Monday because of MLK day)

4. recomplete my Wolfman/Perez run ( I need NTT (1st) #11 and Tales of the Teen Titans #44)-I had the run once upon a time but sold it when I downsized for a move
    I have gotten a handful of Conans and MAster of King Fu, but no love on the Titans so far...

6. branch out and acquire more of the Marvel b&w mags from the 70's, I have a fair few but would like to fill in runs and sample a few series I haven't tried yet
    7. Work on completing the following DC series-Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter (3 issues), Warlord (23 issues all post-100) and Arion: Lord of Atlantis (9 issues)
    Not so much on this front yet.

8. work on acquiring comics based on favorite "pulp" flavored characters (Shadow, Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, John Carter, Tarzan, Phantom, etc.)
    Got some really nice Tarzan books from Scott Harris as part of the CCE, including Tarzan #55 from 1954-it's the first 10 cent cover price comic I have ever owned, so I kind of really psyched about that issue.

9. trim the fat on current pull list and on books I have read and own but have no desire to reread or hang on to
    Doing pretty well here-aside from stuff I have offered up on the CCE, I traded nearly 50 books to Lonestar for credit, and am waiting onthem to verify grades, and also traded another couple dozen books to the local shop owner here for a pretty decent chunk of store credit that I used to pick up a few Silver Age books (JLA 29, Hawkman 15) and other stuff, with a bunch of credit left to use as the year proceeds. Not comics so much, but also applied this to the books on my bookshelves and my wife and I are taking about 3 boxes of books to Half Price Books tomorrow to trade in, so have been good at culling stuff I don't want anymore, not so much on cutting pull list yet, but I am working on it-dropped about 4 books so far.

10. track down and/or sample books that piqued my interest from the 12 Days of Christmas event
    -M
    Well I picked up Empire Lanes #2 based on the write up in the 12 Days of Christmas threads, and finally have started reading Stalker. I may use some of the trade credit from the various places to get others from the X-Mas list if I can find them.

So nearly a month in, and I have been making pretty good progress on my goals, but like all resolutions or goals tied to the new year, January isn't the test, it's the long haul. Sprinting off the blocks well doesn't guarantee success in a marathon, so we will see if I can keep it up.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Wow, 2013 is almost over, and Kurt has started the 12 days of Christmas countdown, so it's time to check in and see how I did with my 2013 Classic Comic goals. Still a couple weeks left to achieve a few of those not checked off from the list yet if I can.

1. Continue to read more comics (personal goal is 1000 for the year, I'd like the bulk to be comics I already own but haven't read yet)
    Check. Actually closing in on 1200 for the year with a late push.
    Check. Got a Hawkgirl sketch from Howard Chaykin, a number of DC Character prints from Dan Davis, and a Warlock print from Angel Medina at Gem City Con this year. Picked up cool action figures of Thanos, Ghost Rider, Spectre, Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate and a bunch of Hawkman and Hawkgirl figs at various cons, flea markets, and stores this year.

Sort of. Did a few exchanges early in the year (I still owe benday-dot a package though, mucho apologies on that). I have a huge pile of stuff I am looking to pass on to others still, so I may look at getting it organized and listed, and possibly reviving the thread after the first of the year for next year).

Not quite. Found an #11, but #44 is the first appearance of Nightwing and is going for more than I want to pay for it right now.

Check. Completed Master of Kung Fu earlier this year, and have trimmed the want list down on Conan a fair bit, but still have a ways to go on that.

Have picked up a few this year, off and on, but not as many as I had hoped to. Usually when I find copies they are priced beyond what I want to pay, so I choose to pass on them.

Sort of. Down to 1 needed on Richard Dragon, picked up just a couple of Warlords, but with the order I placed tonight to Mycomicshop, I will have completed Arion.

Have gotten some, 2 volumes of the Alex Raymond strips form Checkers, one of the DH Archive editions of Gold Key's Flash Gordon, a volume of Phantom Sunday strips, and a few Tarzan comics here and there.

Kind of a fail, as my pull list got bloated with ind books as the year progressed. I did drop all new52 stuff and this week trimmed my pull list dropping more than half of the books on it going into the coming year, but it is now back to about what it was at the start of the year. Need to make a few more hard cuts to it.

I've gotten more than a few from the list, and still tracking down some others. Not as successful as I wanted to be with it though.

Overall. not bad, having met many of the goals. Over the next two weeks I will be formulating my 2014 goals, and if no one has started a thread, will do so.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 12-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    -Umberto Eco

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, MRP! I'd completely forgotten about it, and yet somehow managed to mostly stick to the goals I laid out here.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Inevitably, I'm going to end up buying a lot of stuff, but my primary goal for 2013 is to read far more than I buy.
    Definitely did that. Read nearly 1,000 comics, and bought 300 at most.

I still have almost 40% of my collection (over 3000 comics) unread.
    Still at 3,353 (43%) unread. Grrrrrrrr. Buying more comics really isn't helping me, here.

I have very little free time, but I managed to read nearly 900 comics this year, and I think I can make a similar effort next year.
    Done.

Specific reading priorities for the year:

1. Finish Gaiman's Sandman
    Done

2. Finish TMNT vol. 1
    Done

3. Get at least a year of Superman reviews done
    Done

4. Read my giant stack of unread Dell Ducks comics
    Nearly done

5. Read A LOT of Creepy and Eerie
    Done

6. finish my Planet of the Apes reviews
    Done

7. Read Astro City
    Not at all.

8. Read more Hellboy and BPRD
    Done

9. A lot more Sgt. Fury reviews
    Not as many as I'd hoped.

10. More Batman reviews
    Not as many as I'd hoped.

11. Backtrack and read some older Batman stuff (particularly Marshall/Rogers)
    Nope.

12. Read (and possibly review) Len Wein's run on Hulk
    13. Read Moore's Swamp Thing
    14. Read Batman Family
    All back-burnered.

15. Read Moench and Simonson's runs on Thor
    Partway there.

16. Start a Master of Kung Fu reviews thread
    April.

17. Start reviews of Moench's Werewolf by Night and Moon Knight
    18. Start reviews of the Defenders from the beginning
    19. Read (and possibly review) Aztec Ace
    20. Read (and possibly review) THUNDER Agents, Dynamo, and No Man
    21. Read (and possibly review) Man-Thing vol. 1
    All back-burnered.

22. Read more Marvel Conan
    Hell yeah.

23. Read Kull
    24. Seek out more Gerber and Moench works to read
    25. Obtain and read Foolkiller
    Back-burnered.

26. Obtain and read all appearances of the Great Lakes Avengers
    Yup.

27. Obtain and read Shade The Changing Man
    28. Obtain and read Bat Lash
    29. Obtain and read Strikeforce Morituri
    30. Obtain and read the Byrne Fantastic Four run
    31. Obtain and read more Marvel/Curtis mags from the 1970s
    32. Start the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League reviews
    All back-burnered (though I fought the Byrne FF issues)

Yes, my goals were overzealous, and I knew this at the time. Still, I think I did pretty well in meeting most of the higher ones.
    Last edited by shaxper; 12-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Okay, I'll start. In descending order of focus and likelihood:

1. My main goal is to finish the following runs: Doctor Strange (from Strange Tales #128 through Strange Tales vol. 2 #19), Wonder Woman (#177-211), Invaders and Lois Lane (#43-up)
    Done, done and not quite done. I have Lois Lane #64-up now, but am still missing 9 issues between 42 and 64.

2. I also want to make progress on Green Lantern /Green Arrow (#90-122), Supergirl (volumes 1 and 2), Action, Superman, Detective (#521-567), Sgt. Rock, Weird War Stories and my Archie runs (which are Archie, Pep, Jughead and Life with Archie)
    Well, I completed the runs of Supergirl, Action and Superman I was trying to put together, so that's more than I was aiming for. I made progress on everything else, particularly the Archie stuff. So this is a Done+.

3. Try to at least get Boy Comics #28 and 32.
    Done.

4. And the big one, which I don't think is going to happen but could theoretically if certain things go right for me in the next few months: acquire Journey Into Mystery #83 (or at least Sgt. Fury #1)
    Fail. I downshifted my goals a bit thanks to a reversal in employment fortune and ended up with Action #252 instead. Not a bad fail, actually.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by killerbass View Post
    Well, as it stands -- I am trying to complete a run of ASM from 1-700. I need 18 more issues. My goal is to get that down to 9 by next year. Plus, I need 5 annuals. I like to get that down to 1 or 2.
    Yay, I beat my goal! I need just 8 issues -- 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, 18, 28, & 29. I need just two annuals -- 1 & 2. I even managed to pick up three really early issues this year -- 2, 6 & 9!

Quote Originally Posted by killerbass View Post
    As for secondary goals, I will pick up the occasional issue of Daredevil vol. 1. I will also see if I can pick up a few Silver/Bronze Age Doctor Strange issues
    I now have about 10% of volume 1 of Daredevil collected. I recently had a good/good+ Daredevil #1 in my hands. I almost pulled the trigger...

No Doctor Strange this year. I'll have to make up for that next year...

All in all -- it was a very good year!
    Tom
    My Favorites: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man

Almost Done Collecting ASM: Want issues 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 18 - Ann. 1 & 2

My goals had hiccups, which come with the territory when there's a new addition to the family...but I'll just roll them over into next year. I'm getting my purchases back into swing...my dealer and I have a Christmas sale coming up and half of what I put out to sell has already been reserved (meaning $$ lol).

No real goals but as funds allow I will continue to re-acquire books I remember either having or reading as a kid and don't have any more (or never did if they were friends' copies). This would be mostly Marvel from the mid-late 70s to early 80s.