Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I am a longtime Marvel reader who finally stopped buying new comics due to high prices and too many bad writers who just don't get the characters. I refuse to give up my love of reading comics, though, and have been enjoying reading and rereading classic comics for awhile and collecting classic trades.

My goals are to read Lee and Kirby's entire Ff run (which I have only read the first 10 previously), followed by Byrnes run, and then Simonson's run, both of which I have read before.

Nnext I plan to read the Lee and Ditko Spider-Man, which I have read the first 18 issues of previously, and the Lee Romita run, which I have not read.

Next I plan to read Roy Thomas, Barry Smith, and John Buscema's 115 issue rn on Conan, which I have read.

Next, I plan to read the Claremont/Byrne X-men, which I have never read the first year of.

One of my goals was to whittle down and sell about half my collection. I don't have nearly as many books as some of you, but since I rent out a very small room things were getting very cramped. I accomplished that this week, selling about 500 comics through craigslist, all stuff that was not essential to me and am quite happy about it. Especially since they went to a person who is going to really enjoy them and read them with their kid.

My goals for the coming year are pretty modest. I'd like to pick up a few showcase and essential collections of series that I have never delved into much. Enemy Ace, Jonah Hex, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Champions, silver age era Daredevil and Man-Thing are high on the list.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Over the past year and a half, I've been doing an A-to-Z read (or re-read) through my entire collection. If I push myself, I can maybe get through it before the end of the year. Of course, I've also been buying more stuff over that period, so I'm thinking about going back to the beginning and reading through all the new acquisitions.

So my "read" list would probably include:
    - Avengers 140-200
    - All-Star Squadron (re-read)
    - Crisis on Multiple Earths tpbs (the JLA/JSA team-ups)
    - Eternals (1970s series)
    - Fantastic Four 150-200
    - Green Lantern/Green Arrow 90- 122

What I'd like to acquire:
    - Avengers - back to 130
    - Captain America - the remaining Stern/Byrne issues
    - Fantastic Four - back to 140
    - The four issues of "The Flash" and the four issues of "Superboy" still on my want list
    - complete my Dreadstar run
    - possibly complete my runs of Flash, vol. 2, and Green Lantern, vol. 3

and the one that probably isn't realistic...

Legion of Super Heroes Archives, vol. 8 (I think that would give me all of the Pre-Crisis Legion stories, either originals or reprints)

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Buy smarter....bloody hell, my shipping bill for 2012 is over $2,000...that includes boxes of TPBs and HCs bought to resell....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Actually I suppose one of my goals for 2013 is to continue to give to charity. But I don't really consider that a goal as such. It's just something I like doing cause it gets rid of things I don't want and brings happiness to other people so that's a pretty good thing huh? Looking back on 2012, getting all reflective as I always do at this time of year I think 2012 was a better year than some recent ones comics wise. Not because I bought more necessarily (because I didn't) but I bought more smartly. More intelligently. I think where I went wrong so many times in the past was buying online and getting duped by too many people who think they know what they are talking about (grading, for instance) and then realizing I'm just pouring money down the drain by purchasing like that. Also buying online its very easy (too easy, actually) to go overboard and give into your impulsive desires) and then spend more than you really wanted to. I think in 2012 I finally analyzed where I was going wrong with my comic purchases, so made changes to that and I definitely feel more balanced when it comes to my comic books and purchasing. So yeah, 2012 is almost over. 2013? Well that's the promise of a new tomorrow.

King Poindexter --- Welcome! I see you are new to CBR and so wanted to say hello and welcome you to the Classic Comics section!

No big goals really. Complete a few more of my smaller series I've been working on. Get more nice hardcovers. Get more bronze age mags. Read more of my unread stuff. I have four longboxes I need to go through and see what I want to keep. I think I'll start transitioning to trades over floppies in 2013. Maybe get one of my complete series bound. I'd also like a sketch from Gilbert Hernandez to go with the one I got from Jaime this year.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

About the mags - its interesting cause I asked some of the staff @ some of the stores I go to and they said many of them they threw out over the years simply because the demand for magazines collapsed. Its like the trading card business. I'm seeing it to a lesser extent with the comic books too - people are just getting rid of huge collections. The magazines in some ways makes me very sad because prior to the web they were an outlet for people to communicate, and many of them had fantastic exclusives, with rare interviews and photographs. It's why if I see a stack of them in pretty good condition I try to snap them up.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

My wish list of 2013 :

Batman - I want to finally get moving more on completing my dream run of Batman from 150-current. I haven't really worked on it in awhile. But I would love to work on that in 2013.

Monster/Horror Books - I'd love to get more books of Frankenstein , Tomb of Dracula , Werewolf by Night and more. Fill in those classic Bronze age Marvel books.

Creepy - I wanna work on getting more Creepy issues.

Amazing Spider-Man - I really wanna get the 1st appearance of Black Cat , Hobgoblin and Venom next year.

That is a few goals I have so far for 2013.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    My wish list of 2013 :Batman - I want to finally get moving more on completing my dream run of Batman from 150-current. I haven't really worked on it in awhile. But I would love to work on that in 2013.
    I'm working on 201-300...have both starting and ending points and about 2/3 of the rest. That Beatles-wannabe issue is going to bite....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    I'm working on 201-300...have both starting and ending points and about 2/3 of the rest. That Beatles-wannabe issue is going to bite....
    I think my hardest issue is 251. I already have (and signed by Adams) 232 and 234. I need to get that one and its the last big expensive one in there. I got the Beatles cover 3-5 months ago at a show.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

My plan is to read Amazing Spidey/Spec Spidey/Marvel Team-Up in the order of release.

I also plan to end 2013 with FEWER items on my want list, instead of MORE!
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

BANNED

I want to complete my run of the 1970s Wonder Woman stories that featured the wartime adventures of the Earth Two Diana, and also get the few Alan Scott appearances in the 70s Green Lantern title I'm still missing. Oh, and to complete my run of Dave Cockrum X-Men issues.

I have a lot on my reading list. Daredevil (after Frank Miller), Moon Knight (original series and Marc Spector series), Savage Sword of Conan #25-60, Conan the Barbarian #90-115. and A LOT of reprint books to catch up on this year.

I want to buy zero new classic comics, because I have no room for more and because I have lots I have yet to read. I will continue to buy about 1 or 2 Kirby books a month until I have reached, going backward, cover price Dec 1964. I will complete this by about Summer 2013. In 2014 I will work on the 1964 books I need.