Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    Is that what Irons has been doing lately. I haven't seen the character in a long time. I didn't even know he had appeared in the New 52 yet. The last place I saw Steel was in Superman Family Adventures where he was using a confiscated Luthor battle suit with a big "S-shield" sticker stuck to the front of it. I don't know if being a humanitarian really conflicts with being in the League. Wonder Woman's been a humanitarian since Perez and she's been in the League a few times since then.
    Morrison used him during the first story of his Action Comics run during the initial Brainiac attack where he put on the suit to battle Metallo, but he hasn't been seen since.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    Steel has scientific skills that Superman does not, why can't he be the god of science? I think Steel can do more then be Superman's substitute.
    There are far better science options than Steel though. Steel's biggest asset for the Justice League would be his brawn. Using Steel as your science guy would be like the Avengers recruiting Peter Parker for his science skills instead of Henry Pym or Tony Stark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog1981 View Post
    There are far better science options than Steel though. Steel's biggest asset for the Justice League would be his brawn. Using Steel as your science guy would be like the Avengers recruiting Peter Parker for his science skills instead of Henry Pym or Tony Stark.
    You haven't read JLA by the looks of it.

I have read JLA, on about my 4th reading of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Morrison used him during the first story of his Action Comics run during the initial Brainiac attack where he put on the suit to battle Metallo, but he hasn't been seen since.
    He was last seen in the Action annual.

Steel has scientific skills that Superman does not
    ...like?

why can't he be the god of science?
    Steel is a character who sees both science and superheroism as a tool. He's not like a Reed Richards who just invents all kinds of crazy s**t for the hell of it, a character who pursues science for science's sake, he's all about trying to be constructive and get across to helping lots of people.

Cyborg however, is partly machine, he is connected across thousands of computers, can access all kinds of information, can communicate with anything, and so on- it's much closer to a god of technology than Steel, who just is a scientist in a power armour suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    You haven't read JLA by the looks of it.
    As I understand it, Morrison used Steel in JLA largely because he was really into riffing on the Greek pantheon for that run. Steel was the character who most resembled Hephaestus to him. Just like Plastic Man was his analogue to Dionysus and Huntress was his analogue to Artemis.

Needless to say, while he made it work (largely because he had DC's most popular characters there as well), there were a whole lot of odd choices for characters in that run.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog1981 View Post
    I have read JLA, on about my 4th reading of it.
    Then you should know why Steel was in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    As I understand it, Morrison used Steel in JLA largely because he was really into riffing on the Greek pantheon for that run. Steel was the character who most resembled Hephaestus to him. Just like Plastic Man was his analogue to Dionysus and Huntress was his analogue to Artemis.

Needless to say, while he made it work (largely because he had DC's most popular characters there as well), there were a whole lot of odd choices for characters in that run.
    Yet Steel was a natural fit because he was largely a superpowered inventor, something it didnt have since Batman is largely occupied by some else.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Why? They are all on the younger side when they all first meet. I don't think Cyborg is meant to be drastically younger than the rest of them... maybe 5 or 6 years. Which in the present day stories, makes him older than Firestorm was back in the Satellite Era days.
    He`s just one year younger than Wonder Woman.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusTelos View Post
    John Stewart kind of looks like a gimp.
    That`s not John Stewart.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Vic was great in NTT, but id much rather see him on the current JL then the current TT.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Steel is a character who sees both science and superheroism as a tool. He's not like a Reed Richards who just invents all kinds of crazy s**t for the hell of it, a character who pursues science for science's sake, he's all about trying to be constructive and get across to helping lots of people.

Cyborg however, is partly machine, he is connected across thousands of computers, can access all kinds of information, can communicate with anything, and so on- it's much closer to a god of technology than Steel, who just is a scientist in a power armour suit.
    Right on.

First of all, Steel has never been a scientist. He's an engineer. Huge difference there (although not always obvious in Comic Book World). He's not trying to learn anything, or unlock any secret of the universe. He's just good at building things.

Second, Cyborg is also not a scientist, at least, last I checked (which was a while ago) he wasn't. He's a football player, apparently, and happens to also be in large part a robot. I don't see how either makes him a scientist. He might have learned a lot about Apokolipsian tech (and spent way too much time on the Internet) in the past few years, but only because that's what he's made out of, not out of any desire for knowledge.

I doubt either is familiar with the scientific method, confounding variables, double-blinds, chi-squared, and all the other vocabulary of a true scientist.

So comparing the two doesn't make a lot of sense. Honestly, I don't care which of them is in the League, if any. I just want the book to be interesting again.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    He was last seen in the Action annual.

...like?

Yeah as Johns has said, Cyborg can't "unplug" even if he wants to. He's one with technology. Cyborg is the true god of tech. But I just hope they utilize him more in up coming arc. So he's not just the guy Batman calls when he needs something hacked.

I loved Wolfman Perez's original Teen Titans run, but goign forward I think it makes a lot of sense for Cyborg ot be on the Justice League, especially now that the current Teen Titans book is kind of lame imo.

I think being part of the Justice League actually elevates his character in a few ways. I wouldn't hve minded if DC kept the original New Teen Titans history. It would have been great to build on for future Cyborg stories, however, that wouldn't have made as much sense if DC wanted to make Cyborg a founder.

So just in reference to the new 52 I prefer him on the Justice League.

I like the new Titans book, but Vic definitely belongs in the big League these days. Pre-New 52 I liked him in that mentor role he'd evolved into, but in JL now he's just beyond crazy advanced. He's the guy that can spy on Batman. I hope he gets more development, they built him with a monster load of potential but haven't really done much with him as a character, yet.
    Did Wonder Woman and Superman just catch an aircraft carrier?

So has Cyborg done squat in the Justice League yet? It's not really going to elevate his status if he never really gets a moment.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.