Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Pete's persona as Spidey is what he is when he wearing a mask.

Anonimity gives him the opportunity to get away with stuff he can't as Parker.

Not so much an act, but him without his internal censor.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Have you? Because that has never happened.
    Really? Seems to me in the most recent Avenging Spider-Man that Cap called him out on being immature. Just about EVERY old school hero has bitched about his wisecracking. Thing, Wolverine, Cyclops all come to mind right off the top of my head.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Of course he is. The forever joking Spider-Man is not the real Peter Parker. It's an act.
    No it's not. Peter has been flippant and wisecracking whether he has his mask on or off.

Hell, there was a time he was backtalking to Thor. Oh, not as Spider-Man. As PETER PARKER! Guy was giving THOR lip.

They need to be fighting seriously formidable opponents in every single issue. No bums. They should fight Ultron, followed by Kang, followed by Doom, followed by Mephisto, followed by Galactus, followed by the VOID/SENTRY, followed by the Masters of Evil on Roids, etc etc etc.
    Cyclops was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    You define Peter's personality by his wisecracking ability ? No wonder you get it wrong.
    It's been established since, I dunno, 1965, that Parker act differently as Spider-Man BECAUSE HE CAN. It was also explained WHY he acts like that especially in fights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Really? Seems to me in the most recent Avenging Spider-Man that Cap called him out on being immature. Just about EVERY old school hero has bitched about his wisecracking. Thing, Wolverine, Cyclops all come to mind right off the top of my head.
    And they've also commented on his maturity and his heroism.

When Cap recruited Spidey in the New Avengers, he mentioned that every time he went into action with him, he was amazed by him.

Wolverine comforted Spider-Man about his heroism when Spidey was feeling down about the death of Captain America.

The Avengers as a whole commented on how heroic and skilled Spidey was, and the benefits he brought to the team, during the time he helped them out with Nebula and the Stranger. And even how his wisecracking BENFITTED the team.

During the Darkling Saga in the New Warriors, when faced with what to do next, all the younger heroes turned to Spider-Man, expecting him to know the answer to the situation. Spidey responded incredulously, wanting to know why THEY would expect him to know the answers. Speedball responded that they just looked up to him and thought that he might be able to help them out.

Spidey was even put in charge of teaching a younger generation of heroes during an arc in Avengers Academy.

"Bitching about his wisecracking" says nothing about his maturity. There's been just as many stories dealing with other character realizing his heroism and maturity, and understanding that his wisecracks are a way for him to DEAL with the situation he's in. Not that his wisecracks are a sign of him not understanding the severity of the situation.

BANNED

No it's not. Peter has been flippant and wisecracking whether he has his mask on or off.

Hell, there was a time he was backtalking to Thor. Oh, not as Spider-Man. As PETER PARKER! Guy was giving THOR lip.
    Maybe in some modern stories. Not the Peter Parker I grew up with.

Did he have a secret ID at the time and Thor didn't know it or was he in the tower and just out of costume?

BANNED

It's been established since, I dunno, 1965, that Parker act differently as Spider-Man BECAUSE HE CAN. It was also explained WHY he acts like that especially in fights.
    And what was established was that his wisecracking is a way for him to DEAL with the events he faces, so as not to completely freak out, but they also serve to unnerve and undermine his opponents.

It's never been established that his wisecracks are a sympton of him not understanding/ appreciating the situation. Quite the opposite, as they undermine how aware of how much danger he is in.

And they've also commented on his maturity and his heroism.

When Cap recruited Spidey in the New Avengers, he mentioned that every time he went into action with him, he was amazed by him.

Wolverine comforted Spider-Man about his heroism when Spidey was feeling down about the death of Captain America.

The Avengers as a whole commented on how heroic and skilled Spidey was, and the benefits he brought to the team, during the time he helped them out with Nebula and the Stranger. And even how his wisecracking BENFITTED the team.

During the Darkling Saga in the New Warriors, when faced with what to do next, all the younger heroes turned to Spider-Man, expecting him to know the answer to the situation. Spidey responded incredulously, wanting to know why THEY would expect him to know the answers. Speedball responded that they just looked up to him and thought that he might be able to help them out.

Spidey was even put in charge of teaching a younger generation of heroes during an arc in Avengers Academy.

"Bitching about his wisecracking" says nothing about his maturity. There's been just as many stories dealing with other character realizing his heroism and maturity, and understanding that his wisecracks are a way for him to DEAL with the situation he's in. Not that his wisecracks are a sign of him not understanding the severity of the situation.
    Nobody EVER questioned his heroism. As for younger heroes looking up to him, well given he's been doing the hero thing longer than almost everybody else, yeah the kids are going to look at the veteran.

BANNED

Did he have a secret ID at the time and Thor didn't know it or was he in the tower and just out of costume?
    Thor didn't know Peter's ID at the time. This was in Marvel Team-Up #7. LOOOOOOOONG before he ever joined the Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Maybe in some modern stories. Not the Peter Parker I grew up with.
    Well, I guess Marvel Team-Up#7 is "Modern" in some respects.

Hmm, the majority of times I find the avengers boring because they are primarily just a team, their sole focus is primarily going out and seeing what bad guy they can punch
    and that's pretty much it. You might have some dialogue between the characters but the main focus is on the plot and the villains and how the avengers can take them down.
    New Avengers and Xmen, on the other hand, felt more like a family. They seem really close, and there appears to be much more of a personal interaction with these characters in comparison to Avengers which is much more wide scope. That's why I've always like New Avengers over regular Avengers, and now that bendis is over in xmen, he's bringing that personal flair there too.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

The Crossing
    The Gatherers
    Siege on Avengers Mansion
    The Korvac Saga
    Ultron Unlimited
    The Trial of Hank Pym
    The Bride of Ultron
    Kangy Dynasty
    Red Zone
    Assault on Olympus
    Operation Galactic Storm
    Disassembled
    Wundagore Mountain
    Dark Reign
    Civil War
    Secret Invasion

If you've read these stories then you will see what kind of dynamics the Avengers have and that they're more than just a collection of heroes. Like I said, there are some built in biases against the Avengers but saying that they're boring is really strange.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

BANNED

disassembled was probably the most fascinating avenger story i have ever seen. civil war was good too as well as dark reign.