Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why do you find the Avengers boring?

I have read for years now that many readers found the Avengers and many of their members to be boring until Bendis came along... and even still there ar many readers that say that. Can anyone explain (without being rude to the character, the creators or other writers) why that is? I have traditionally considered myself an Avengers fan first and foremost and have loved many of the characters most strongly connected to them.

Please give me opinion whether you find them boring, or you love them. What do you think makes them boring?

BANNED

Sloppy origin stories

I have read for years now that many readers found the Avengers and many of their members to be boring until Bendis came along
    Really now ? Many readers ?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I have read for years now that many readers found the Avengers and many of their members to be boring until Bendis came along... and even still there ar many readers that say that. Can anyone explain (without being rude to the character, the creators or other writers) why that is? I have traditionally considered myself an Avengers fan first and foremost and have loved many of the characters most strongly connected to them.
    I think, for me, it's the entitlement the heroes have; beloved by the public, when a lot of times they make situations worse. The most interesting time for the Avengers was during Dark Reign, when they weren't the "golden children" of the world. I mean, it's not like they vet members, or have any form of induction or test to take; but "suddenly" being an Avenger makes you one of the elite? Really?

Heroes who we are TOLD are amazing, but yet rarely see any evidence to back it up (I mean, yes they are heroic... so are nearly ALL Marvel heroes, why am I to believe the Avengers are that much more heroic or that much more wonderful).
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by SayOcean View Post
    Sloppy origin stories
    care to explain that a little more? Because that doesn't seem to fit the majority of Avengers characters and more than it fits non-Avengers characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Really now ? Many readers ?
    Just going by what I have read on forums like this in the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I mean, it's not like they vet members, or have any form of induction or test to take
    Actually they are quite thoroughly vetted. I think the vetting process was shown at length during the Englehart run and on Rage in particular.

It takes a lot for me to even consider a team book. There has to be at least one character I really like or love and the stories/conflicts have to be interesting.

Avengers has yet to fit that bill: too many characters, uninteresting threats. Yes, I really like Cap, but I don't like him on Avengers. And Bendis' Avengers/NA fit that bill.

The movie was more of the same. Uninteresting threats, several characters I don't like or care about and ultimately just not my thing.

Incoming New Avengers: lots of conflict, Doctor Strange and Namor and weird threats. This sounds like it might work for me.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    care to explain that a little more? Because that doesn't seem to fit the majority of Avengers characters and more than it fits non-Avengers characters.

I know it's comic book logic, but the explanations they give about how many of their members get their powers seem too contrived and induces eye rolling I.e. spider woman, echo, Jessica Jones and sentry

Default Why I prefer other books over the Avengers

I think the reason I prefer Justice League or X-Men over the Avengers family of books is that the conflicts they seem to have are internal. The Scarlet Witch decimates mutants, Avengers fault, Vision trying to take over the worlds computers, Avengers fault. Also we hear about how the Avengers are the best of the best but they always seem more competent in their solo books.

BANNED

Tony Stark is the only interesting character in the group. And that too, it's only because of Robert Downey Jr. and to lesser extent, Warren Ellis and Matt Fraction.

Your intellectual savior thirdfalcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Actually they are quite thoroughly vetted. I think the vetting process was shown at length during the Englehart run and on Rage in particular.
    For me that aspect of them doesn't help. The whole structure and formality is really corny and makes them seem like dorks, and they are already really dorky because they are such goody two shoes. It''s pretty much impossible to sound cool when your talking about your charter and vetting people and whether someone is active or reserve and whatnot.

I never liked them because I liked Spider-man and the X-Men and i felt like the Avengers were put on a pedestal that they didn't deserve in universe, and I felt like my favorites were better and heroes. I knew they served a purpose though. They gave the cool heroes someone to contrast with so they could look anti-authority rebels.

So It wasn't that I thought they were boring, more that I thought they were dorky and lame. Keep in mind that I was a kid though, it's not like I ever really gave them a chance.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Honestly, I can't put it into words. Pre-Bendis I would consistently pick up and drop Avengers. I didn't hate the writing or art, I just couldn't get into the stories. At times maybe the book seemed insular sometimes, like how I felt about the X-Men back then where the book is so continuity laden I couldn't just jump in. That plus a few characters I just really didn't like at all (I mean you Triathlon).

I don't think the Avengers are boring, but I think their rogue's gallery is. Loki is moreso a Thor villain. Red Skull and Baron Zemo, Captain America villains. Etc.
    When you look at the X-Men and Spider-Man's villains, more iconic and recognizable by even your standard non-comic reader.

I don't find them that boring really, but they do tend to be put on a pedestal, which makes it tough when a certain few of them contradict some of their actions. Cap being a big offender here. He holds up this superhero standard and sometimes he deviates from that. Hes just a human, so he shouldn't be held up to the standard people put him as, but thems the breaks. For example, I hear time and time again that he would never let someone like Wolverine join the Avengers because hes a killer. Obviously this isn't what Cap thinks since hes known Wolverine for decades and he put him on the team for a reason that other Avengers may or maynot get behind. Because Cap is held to this ideal hero standard, he comes off kinda bad being associated with Wolverine. Threats change though and serious things can be at stake, so I get it, I just don't quite understand why others don't....and I'm not a longtime Avengers reader.

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    I don't find them that boring really, but they do tend to be put on a pedestal, which makes it tough when a certain few of them contradict some of their actions. Cap being a big offender here. He holds up this superhero standard and sometimes he deviates from that. Hes just a human, so he shouldn't be held up to the standard people put him as, but thems the breaks. For example, I hear time and time again that he would never let someone like Wolverine join the Avengers because hes a killer. Obviously this isn't what Cap thinks since hes known Wolverine for decades and he put him on the team for a reason that other Avengers may or maynot get behind. Because Cap is held to this ideal hero standard, he comes off kinda bad being associated with Wolverine. Threats change though and serious things can be at stake, so I get it, I just don't quite understand why others don't....and I'm not a longtime Avengers reader.
    Cap was the main one against wolverine joining the team ironman was all for it