Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    Again I find myself complaining about the sheer amount of "America F**K YEAH" that seems to have taken over the Ultimates.

What happened to the global politics? The multi-national threat?

As a non-US reader I'm feeling surprisingly alienated by this comic lately, and for the first time since I started reading comics, am considering passing on Ultimates. (Loeb annoyed me, but not in this exact way. Loeb alienated all people equally).
    Yeah, at least Loeb had a good idea behind his Ultimate stuff, he just didn't known how to write it properly... Humphries seems to be strictly following a formula that simply doesn't work and comes off as annoying:

America + more America + making stuff up as he goes + football + even more America - continuity checks - fan input and interaction a'la Brian Wood + giant characters (Anthony-Bot, Hulk, Cassie) = Obviously a masterpiece

I remember when it was an honor to be a fan of the Ultimates and be able to brag how awesome it was compared to 616 Avengers. Now it's just downright embarrassing to pay actual money for it...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Yeah, at least Loeb had a good idea behind his Ultimate stuff, he just didn't known how to write it properly.
    Loeb did not have a good idea behind his work, he had no background research and changed to story to fit with his artists from letting Joe Mad draw Dinosaurs to Frank Cho getting Women to draw alongside Humanoid monsters.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Loeb did not have a good idea behind his work, he had no background research and changed to story to fit with his artists from letting Joe Mad draw Dinosaurs to Frank Cho getting Women to draw alongside Humanoid monsters.
    Ultimatum was a brilliant idea. He just executed it completely wrong. Bendis had what it took to write Ultimatum the right way. Humphriese would have Ultimatum take place in a football stadium with Giant-People waving American flags...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

BANNED

I believe Ultimatum was originally Miller's pitch. I agree that Ultimatum's initial concept is pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I believe Ultimatum was originally Miller's pitch. I agree that Ultimatum's initial concept is pretty interesting.
    Actually it was a pretty interesting idea. I'm not sure why they didn't just hire Mark Millar to write it. Sure there would be a lot of death and violence but it would be badass death and violence that are meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by sixfold View Post
    Actually it was a pretty interesting idea. I'm not sure why they didn't just hire Mark Millar to write it. Sure there would be a lot of death and violence but it would be badass death and violence that are meaningful.
    Agreed.
    I understand that America in the UM universe has just barely survived averting a civil war, and they do have the right to celebrate but this is to much. As well somebody mentioned Wall Street I was wondering something. Before this went down Shields budget got cut by 30%. So for a American President to cut a major Military budget like Shield is a pretty big thing ( Can you imagine if President Obama when to the CIA and said yeah we have to cut your budget by 30%?). So my question how far in the hole is the American government before the DWF ? I mean after UWS with all the reconstruction costs (Washington DC has a crater for godsakes), and the civil war that nearly tore it apart wouldn’t foreign investors drop US debt bond rate like a hot potato ? I think its going to be interesting when president cap takes a look at that balance sheet and goes “how many trillions…?” .

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    Again I find myself complaining about the sheer amount of "America F**K YEAH" that seems to have taken over the Ultimates.

What happened to the global politics? The multi-national threat?

As a non-US reader I'm feeling surprisingly alienated by this comic lately, and for the first time since I started reading comics, am considering passing on Ultimates. (Loeb annoyed me, but not in this exact way. Loeb alienated all people equally).
    This is completely unreasonable. Again, I'm not a Humphries fan at all but he's not making a patriotic statement at all. All this America rah-rah is just setting up something sinister from within. Feeling alienated by the fact that the Ultimates is about America, which is where the team is from and based in, is like being angry that a character's love interest isn't your nationality. You understand what America means to the team, so you can understand what this was all for when shit starts to go down. That being said, Humphries run so far is like a 5/10 for me.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    This is completely unreasonable. Again, I'm not a Humphries fan at all but he's not making a patriotic statement at all. All this America rah-rah is just setting up something sinister from within. Feeling alienated by the fact that the Ultimates is about America, which is where the team is from and based in, is like being angry that a character's love interest isn't your nationality. You understand what America means to the team, so you can understand what this was all for when shit starts to go down. That being said, Humphries run so far is like a 5/10 for me.
    Unreasonable?

Ultimates 1: Ultimates vs Hulk. Managed to not go "America rah-rah" at all.
    Ultimates 2: Ultimates vs Liberators. A clever look at the consequences of America's foreign policy. A pretty global theme.
    Ultimates 3: Ultimates vs Magneto/Ultron/Doom/WTF? No America rah-rah at all.
    New Ultimates: Ultimates vs Thor and Loki.
    Hickman Ultimates 1: Ultimates vs The People taking over Europe.
    Hickman Ultimates vol 2: Ultimates vs The People vs Tian. Set in Europe, America, and Asia.
    Humphries Ultimates: AMERICA HOO-RAH! Full of OTT patriotism and wasted story potential.

Ultimates was a global story. Now it's so small-scale by comparison it's depressing.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

I agree the patriotism is getting out of hand but even worse than that has been the terrible storytelling since Hickman left. The whole end of the Children arc was a anticlimax and the recent united/divided story was dreadful. Modi could have been used in so many interesting ways but that was a real waste of a great setup. At least Loeb's run had pretty art to look at, there has been literally nothing to enjoy about this series for about half its run now. I need to drop books and this is looking like its going to get the chop when Hickmans Avengers starts. Such a shame as when it started it was a great continuation of what came before but as has been said above Humphries' run has become embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Ultimatum was a brilliant idea.
    Ugh by far, no.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Ugh by far, no.
    Were you not a fan of Millar's Return of the King arc? Because it's the same idea as Ultimatum, but with much better execution.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

I wanna start reading Ultimate Comics again and I was wondering is there going to be a .1 for The Ultimates? Or what is a good starting point? I am picking up all the trades but I just need to know where to start for the monthly issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Ramone View Post
    I wanna start reading Ultimate Comics again and I was wondering is there going to be a .1 for The Ultimates? Or what is a good starting point? I am picking up all the trades but I just need to know where to start for the monthly issues.
    UC: The Ultimates #18.1 will be released on 5th of December. It should be a good jumping on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    UC: The Ultimates #18.1 will be released on 5th of December. It should be a good jumping on point.
    Thanks a million!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Were you not a fan of Millar's Return of the King arc? Because it's the same idea as Ultimatum, but with much better execution.
    No mass deaths. :b
    My Blog