Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

I wonder mostly what is Ocean Masters motivations are. Johns typically changes a character when he reinvents them and removes their 'hahaha, we're evil!' to something that is more understandable. He amped up Sinestro's desire to save the universe by any means necessary and gave Black Manta an interesting motivation for his vendetta. So, kind of curious what Ocean Masters will be... is he still the envious brother who wants to takes Aquaman's throne for himself? Or is something else entirely? I read in an interview that he does feel loyalty to Aquaman and acknowledged him as the older brother when he came for the throne. So, kind of curious on where this goes.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    I wonder mostly what is Ocean Masters motivations are. Johns typically changes a character when he reinvents them and removes their 'hahaha, we're evil!' to something that is more understandable. He amped up Sinestro's desire to save the universe by any means necessary and gave Black Manta an interesting motivation for his vendetta. So, kind of curious what Ocean Masters will be... is he still the envious brother who wants to takes Aquaman's throne for himself? Or is something else entirely? I read in an interview that he does feel loyalty to Aquaman and acknowledged him as the older brother when he came for the throne. So, kind of curious on where this goes.
    He might go with pollution angle. The surface world dumps its trash and filth into the oceans, imagine what an oil spill would do to Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    nice preview, but i thought Paul Pelletier was drawing this? i guess his run doesn't start until next month, then...
    He takes over with 16. This is Pete Woods, next issue is Ardian Syaf.

Quote Originally Posted by galactica View Post
    He might go with pollution angle. The surface world dumps its trash and filth into the oceans, imagine what an oil spill would do to Atlantis.
    Hmmm not so sure if that jives well with how Johns did Sinestro and Black Manta. I mean, it could be but not sure if thats how Johns would do it. If that was it, then it would be an extension of say DC Animated's Aquaman who hated the surface world for causing problems for sea dwellers.

My suspicion is its either some personal or they saw things differently from the hero. I think perhaps Ocean Master will not be outright a bad guy but rather he champions the Atlantean cause with possibly restoring his peoples place of power and asks his brother to choose; between his sea heritage or the surface one. Orrrrr.... he could be back to being the scheming brother looking to take the throne for himself again Its why I am so curious to see where this goes. Can't wait for Throne of Atlantis to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    That's not actually a change. Since his debut in the 60s Ocean Master has respected Aquaman, even if he's insanely jealous of him. In the end of the first volume, once Deadman helped Ocean Master get his memory back, he actually showed up and helped Mera rescue her and Arthur's baby boy. His next appearance had him fooled into working against Aquaman by Amphitrite (wife of Poseidon), posing as Atlanna, using android versions of Aquaman's enemies.

When he showed up in TB&TB Bruce Wayne caught onto him because he owned a shipping company that was a front for treasure hunting piracy. (Basically, originally Orm was Arthur's brother from the surface, from his father's second marriage - I think I prefer the new angle from his mother's second marriage). The tomb-raiding, treasure seeking Ocean Master has basically the same villainous career as Black Manta, so it was a bit redundant.

Now that Ocean Master has been honed into the "Atlantis villain" for Aquaman (where Manta is the "surface villain"), I imagine his feud with Aquaman will stem from the fact that Aquaman is basically going to choose the surface, and his father's world, over Atlantis and his mother's world. He's choosing decadent surface-dwelling polluters over his "rightful people". That's a strong enough and classic enough plot for two "royal prince" characters. It also means that Ocean Master's submarines don't have to be knock-offs of Manta's manta-subs, his commando men don't have to be "O.M. versions of Manta's manta-men.

But yeah, they've always had an antagonistic relationship with the loyalty thing kind of preventing Ocean Master from actually wanting to kill his own brother. Defeat, humiliate, take command of everything his brother had and he didn't? Yes. Kill, not so much.

(I always wanted to read a story where O.M. kills Manta for what happened to his nephew.)
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I have a feeling Garth will be a little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    I have a feeling Garth will be a little boy.
    Or maybe
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    He takes over with 16. This is Pete Woods, next issue is Ardian Syaf.
    Hmm, I was hoping Syaf was just a placeholder and Pelletier was going to do all the Throne of Atlantis issues (i.e. start with #15). I think Syaf will do a great job but just for consistency's sake, I was hoping Pelletier would do them all.

Pete Woods is not a bad artist at all but this preview is a little unimpressive visually. Very hard to follow Ivan Reis.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Hmm, I was hoping Syaf was just a placeholder and Pelletier was going to do all the Throne of Atlantis issues (i.e. start with #15). I think Syaf will do a great job but just for consistency's sake, I was hoping Pelletier would do them all.

Pete Woods is not a bad artist at all but this preview is a little unimpressive visually. Very hard to follow Ivan Reis.
    It says here he's starting in issue 15:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/10...regular-artist

"Pelletier will team up with regular writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and colorist Rod Reis starting with February’s AQUAMAN #15 for the soon-to-be-epic “Throne of Atlantis” storyline, which crosses over between AQUAMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE – featuring the art of recent Atlantis resident Ivan Reis."

Awesome, thanks. Good to see I got what I hoped for.

I wonder what book they put Syaf on?
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Awesome, thanks. Good to see I got what I hoped for.

I wonder what book they put Syaf on?
    I think he's doing the Batman and Robin Annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    That's not actually a change. Since his debut in the 60s Ocean Master has respected Aquaman, even if he's insanely jealous of him. In the end of the first volume, once Deadman helped Ocean Master get his memory back, he actually showed up and helped Mera rescue her and Arthur's baby boy. His next appearance had him fooled into working against Aquaman by Amphitrite (wife of Poseidon), posing as Atlanna, using android versions of Aquaman's enemies.

When he showed up in TB&TB Bruce Wayne caught onto him because he owned a shipping company that was a front for treasure hunting piracy. (Basically, originally Orm was Arthur's brother from the surface, from his father's second marriage - I think I prefer the new angle from his mother's second marriage). The tomb-raiding, treasure seeking Ocean Master has basically the same villainous career as Black Manta, so it was a bit redundant.

Now that Ocean Master has been honed into the "Atlantis villain" for Aquaman (where Manta is the "surface villain"), I imagine his feud with Aquaman will stem from the fact that Aquaman is basically going to choose the surface, and his father's world, over Atlantis and his mother's world. He's choosing decadent surface-dwelling polluters over his "rightful people". That's a strong enough and classic enough plot for two "royal prince" characters. It also means that Ocean Master's submarines don't have to be knock-offs of Manta's manta-subs, his commando men don't have to be "O.M. versions of Manta's manta-men.

But yeah, they've always had an antagonistic relationship with the loyalty thing kind of preventing Ocean Master from actually wanting to kill his own brother. Defeat, humiliate, take command of everything his brother had and he didn't? Yes. Kill, not so much.

(I always wanted to read a story where O.M. kills Manta for what happened to his nephew.)
    Very interesting, I must confess that I actually don't know a great deal about Aquaman so this is quite enlightening about the character. Thank you for the response as it makes me appreciate the character more. The way the interview goes, I also think it will go down the route where he cares about Aquaman as a brother but wants him to put Atlanteans before Humans.

Hmm, I was hoping Syaf was just a placeholder and Pelletier was going to do all the Throne of Atlantis issues (i.e. start with #15).
    You hoped right, because I literally just checked the updated shipping list and Pelletier is now drawing issue #15

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...for-11-28-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    It says here he's starting in issue 15:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/10...regular-artist

"Pelletier will team up with regular writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and colorist Rod Reis starting with February’s AQUAMAN #15 for the soon-to-be-epic “Throne of Atlantis” storyline, which crosses over between AQUAMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE – featuring the art of recent Atlantis resident Ivan Reis."
    That's good to know. Looking forward to this arc.