Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Death of a Superhero

With consideration to all the big name superhero folk out there........which one would you want to see die and stay dead? We all know that Superman, Batman and Spidey have died and come back, but which hero would you like to have bite the big one and stay that way?

Just because I don't care for a character doesn't mean others don't. I can just not read their book: no reason to kill 'em off on my account. Easy peasy.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I wouldn't choose any particular character to banish to the afterlife, there are some I don't like on a visceral level, but like superduper says, every character is someone's favorite and hated characters are usually pretty easily avoided and may even be tolerable in small doses. I would put a rule in place that all Marvel and DC characters that die from here on out must stay dead. Forever. No backsies, at least not within the main line of comics. I think most people have had enough of the use of death as a gimmick, especially when a major character is killed off only to set up the inevitable epic crossover story that details their resurrection.

None. Killing off characters is pointless in Big Two serialized fiction because someone's always going to want to bring them back and have to involve some kind of convoluted resurrection story.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    None. Killing off characters is pointless in Big Two serialized fiction because someone's always going to want to bring them back and have to involve some kind of convoluted resurrection story.
    I think the nadir of this was when Batman and Captain America were killed off around the same time and had essentially the same exact ressurrection story about how the magic bullet/eye beam that "killed" them actually sent them back in time or some shit. Just super lame.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    With consideration to all the big name superhero folk out there........which one would you want to see die and stay dead? We all know that Superman, Batman and Spidey have died and come back, but which hero would you like to have bite the big one and stay that way?
    I dislike the idea of anything being permanent in fiction, so I wouldn't want any character to stay dead. But I guess the character that I would like to stay dead the longest is Cyclops.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    At least it's pointless trying to kill off the A-listers and B-listers. C-Listers, D-Listers, and lower, on the other hand, tend to die a lot ... and stay dead.

C-listers, D-Listers, and lower are killed off in event comics in manners befitting a Star Trek Red Shirt, or a bit player in a monster movie. And these days, the deaths are extra-gory ... brutal impalements, decapitations, dismemberments, heads exploding, and so on. Why? Partly to seem more 'EX-TREEEEEME!!!!', but mostly to show that in a medium known for bringing characters back from the dead, that these characters really ARE dead, dead, super-ultra-galva-mega-extreme-to-the-max dead, and there's just NO WAY they're ever coming back. These methods are there to make the very idea of bringing these characters back seem too ridiculous to think about.

Of course, the reason these characters are killed in the first place is because the writers and editors felt no one gave a crap about them, and worst of all, they don't bother to actually give the characters some good scenes before their deaths so that those not already familiar with the characters DO get to know them. No, they appear just long enough to die pointlessly in manners that suggest the writers felt there was no point to those characters ever being around in the first place, aside from being Monster Munch.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 11-24-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Death is such a joke in comics that it doesn't really matter anyway.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I think we can all agree that it is time to put Fred Basset down.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Can Marmaduke and Howard Huge go with him?

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Can Marmaduke and Howard Huge go with him?
    Yes. And Garfield.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Cyclops. Definitely Cyclops. Namor too

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Archie.A story where Archie and Reggie both die. Jughead steps up and helps Riverdale grieve and becomes mayor. Betty and Veronica console each other and end up falling in love. The story ends with a married Betty and Veronica taking their son Archie to school. FIN
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe De Los Muertos View Post
    Archie.A story where Archie and Reggie both die. Jughead steps up and helps Riverdale grieve and becomes mayor. Betty and Veronica console each other and end up falling in love. The story ends with a married Betty and Veronica taking their son Archie to school. FIN
    I would buy 50 issues.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    I would put a rule in place that all Marvel and DC characters that die from here on out must stay dead. Forever. No backsies
    Agreed. It's been silly for decades now, it undermines any proper death story.

That said, I love John Wagner's resurrection of Johnny Alpha in 2000 AD but most writers aren't John Wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I think they did, years ago, and Fred hasn't noticed yet.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind