Default Desert Island Discs

All,

There is a radio show on the BBC which celebrated its 70th anniversary earlier this year. The show, Desert Island Discs, has a very simple format (as explained below).

From the always reliable Wikipedia:

Guests are invited to imagine themselves cast away on a desert island, and to choose eight pieces of music, originally gramophone records, to take with them; discussion of their choices permits a review of their life. Excerpts from their choices are played or, in the case of short pieces, the whole work. At the end of the program they choose the one piece they regard most highly. They are then asked which book they would take with them; they are automatically given the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work. Guests also choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside.

So, I ask you, which eight pieces of music would you choose to take with you?

You can take your time to think about it & then respond, or you can dash off a post immediately.

I warn you, it is difficult.

Going from twenty songs to twelve to ten and finally to eight songs, is a very difficult process.

You also have to consider, should I take my eight all time favorites, the best eight songs I've ever heard, the eight which will help me cope with being alone on the island, or just the eight that I'm enjoying the most right now.

Here is mine:

#1 Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
    This song is not only amazing, but the memories attached make it the one song that if it starts playing, I will not stop it, even if it means sitting in the car, ignoring a friend when on my headphones, etc.

#2 God Only Knows – The Beach Boys Realistically, it could have been just about anything from Pet Sounds.

#3 Stop - Jane's Addiction- I could have said Been Caught Stealing, but Stop is the better song. Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Lo Habitual and Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine are the 2 albums that opened my eyes past Top 40 music and made me the music listener I am today. I still remember being 16 and riding in a friends car listening to NIN and his 10 year old brother in the back seat screaming "Terrible Lie" at the top of his lungs.

#4 Video - Ben Folds Five

#5 Steam Powered Aereoplane – John Hartford Pretty much anything from Aereo-Plain could make this list. A friend introduced me to this album and I very quickly developed a love of bluegrass.

#6 A Little Bit Ugly – Mighty Mighty Bosstones – This was opening my horizons to music that I had never heard before and then burrowing down the history of Ska. It all started with the Bosstones first album Devil’s Night Out.

#7 Fools Gold – The Stone Roses – This along with the rest of the Britpop tunes on this list will always remind me of a perfect time in my life that included going to this seedy underground “club” that played nothing but Britpop every Wednesday night.

#8 Girls and Boys – Blur – A Blur song has to make my list, as much as an Oasis song did. I could have chosen a dozen of their songs, but something from Parklife should be the choice. That album even made me read the book London Fields by Martin Amis because it inspired the band to write Parklife.
    Last edited by jessecuster3; 11-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Listen to this: alt-j - Something Good