Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Okay, but he damn well better summon something!
    Can we all acknowledge this is a hilarious thing?
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    It is dangerous to start re-reading old favourites, because you can find yourself thinking "huh, I guess it wasn't really as great as I thought"--but then other times, you pick something up and you go, "oh my god, this really was one of the best things I ever read and it still holds up after all these years!"

You're so right. I dumped 3 runs that way already. I usually favor the artist when picking and it's disappointing just how meh some of the stories were.
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    You're so right. I dumped 3 runs that way already. I usually favor the artist when picking and it's disappointing just how meh some of the stories were.
    Hell, I've picked one run mostly on the awesomeness of its covers!

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Hell, I've picked one run mostly on the awesomeness of its covers!
    I have one title on my list that I have never read.

Argh, the anticipation is killing me! I summon the Kurt!
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Already, only the first day or is it the twelfth day? and I've screwed up. I made my list from 1 to 12 and was going to do it that way, but then Kurt said we were going from 12 to 1, so I changed the order. But we're actually going from first to twelfth as I originally assumed. So now my list appears out of sync with whatever the days are supposed to be, but it's too late to change it now. The ways of Cei-U are mysterious and unknowable. Or maybe I'm just out to lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    Already, only the first day or is it the twelfth day? and I've screwed up. I made my list from 1 to 12 and was going to do it that way, but then Kurt said we were going from 12 to 1, so I changed the order. But we're actually going from first to twelfth as I originally assumed. So now my list appears out of sync with whatever the days are supposed to be, but it's too late to change it now. The ways of Cei-U are mysterious and unknowable. Or maybe I'm just out to lunch.

I have almost no idea what you're talking about, but I suspect the disconnect here is that our countdown doesn't actually have anything to do with the song. It's just a countdown that lasts for 12 days.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

What Scott said. Your #12 pick is made on the first day, your #11 on the second, & so on, up until your #1 pick, which will be unveiled on Day 12.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Well the countdown is from 12 to 1, but the titles for each day go from the First day up. Since I tried to make my picks go with the song, I was going to start "On the first day of Chrismas..." and so on (I know we didn't have to do that, but I wanted to have some fun with my choices). So that's how I had arranged my list, but when I realized it was a count down from 12 to 1, I changed my list a bit and made it start with "On the twelfth day of Christmas...." to fit with the countdown.

Ultimately, I didn't need to do this and I could have started with "On the first day of Christmas..." since that actually fits better with the title of each thread. But I didn't want to have to change everything now--and go back to my original order (especially since I haven't gotten around to reading some of those comics yet).

I don't know if that makes things anymore clearer, but this is why my posts for the "First Day" will be for the "Twelfth Day" and so on down the line to the "Twelfth Day" which will appear as my "First Day."

I suspect that someone is overthinking all of this.

And it isn't me.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Mine are in pretty arbitrary order this year. For a bit I seriously just thought about doing them alphabetically.

And then you realized that you haven't really grasped the alphabet all that well.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    And then you realized that you haven't really grasped the alphabet all that well.
    I are illiterate.

Or I was afraid of the wraith of Astro City in the 12 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I suspect that someone is overthinking all of this.

And it isn't me.
    Yeah, I tend to overthink how other people are going to read my posts (although this still doesn't prevent my posts from being misunderstood). Not like some folks who could care less what others think.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I feel I must apologize to Katsuhiro Otomo and to Jiro Taniguchi, as well as to Jean Giraud, for finally dropping their magnificent books from my list. Akira has indeed been collected in six phone book sized volumes, but that's almost cheating... the version I read and enjoyed was a 13-volume run. The summit of the gods, one of the most beautiful thing ever crafted in the field of graphic storytelling, is a true graphic novel in five parts and not an actual "series". As for Lt. Blueberry, the be all and end all of western epics, part of it was collected in under 12 volumes by Epic comics... but come on, I know the real series is longer than that.

Besides, all these will no doubt pop up again some day, in some "greatest series or books of all time" list... and dropping them will give a chance to less perfect but somehow special short-lived series to shine for their own 15 minutes.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Just thought I'd mention that my list is in no particular order. I'm saving my #1 for the end, but rating a dozen of my favorite series is impossible for me. I couldn't rate music or movies like that either. I think I put too much thought into it. Also, I'm kind of winging it. I have the next four chosen. Over the next four days I'll likely find four more and so on
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress