Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

I'm not particularly well known for my memory - For that matter it's been well over a decade since I read Marvels. (Probably. I think.... Eh, screwwit, I don't remember.) I might have a completely different opinion now. I like Alex Ross quite a bit more now 'en I did back then.
    Many of us (myself included) assumed it was somewhere around 12 pages when were doing the short stories 12 Days, and only discovered it was 16 pages when we refreshed our memories.

I've been so busy at work and home drama that I haven't really re-read my list. I guess at this late a date, I'll have to wing it. Although my #1 is set.
    Life is what you make it.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I've been so busy at work and home drama that I haven't really re-read my list. I guess at this late a date, I'll have to wing it. Although my #1 is set.
    And I've done no re-reading (except for the first issue or two of the series I alluded to a couple of days ago; even then, only now am I getting around to reading the complete series for the first time; something like 4 issues to go) & very little first-time reading (the rest of that series &, starting last night, the first couple of issues of the Marvel series I mentioned a few days ago that I'd inadvertantly left here instead of taking with me on the road). That's it.

There's still time to rectify that, of course, especially since I've got today off work while recuperating from the drive to & from Shreveport (got home last night just before midnight), but in cases like this winging it is a perfectly sound approach, I think. The instincts kick in, & more often than not I think they're pretty sound for most of us.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-11-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I'm more than halfway through reading the titles on my list and, without revealing any of my picks, I am experiencing a great sadness that they were cut short. A lot of sighs and even tears for what was and what might have been.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I am experiencing a great sadness that they were cut short. A lot of sighs and even tears for what was and what might have been.
    From now on, sir, I suggest that you refrain from ingesting alcohol while reading your 3-issue Brother Power the Geek run. As you note, the emotions involved can prove well-nigh overwhelming.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-11-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Only 2 more days !

This was so fun last year. I did feel like a kid again anxious to see what everyone was posting.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I have my 12 but I don't have an order. Frankly it doesn't matter what's Number 1 or Number 12 to me. These are just 12 runs from my own collection that I love to read and re-read.
    I look forward to everyone's lists!
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I have to say, for some reason I am much more excited this year than in past years. Not that I haven't enjoyed this every year, but for some reason I'm really jazzed this time. I'm really looking forward to seeing people's picks. I have a feeling I'll be discovering some new must haves for my collection. Just doing research for my own picks I discovered a series that I immediately bought on ebay.

one question about timing: Kurt, when Thursday the 13th gets here, do you want us to wait for you to begin the thread I presume? Or when the clocks strikes midnight is it a free-for-all to see who posts it first?
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    I have my 12 but I don't have an order. Frankly it doesn't matter what's Number 1 or Number 12 to me. These are just 12 runs from my own collection that I love to read and re-read.
    I look forward to everyone's lists!
    Well, I brainstormed a list of 16--I'll probably do some checking w/ GCD and find at least a couple ineligible, then do a quick ranking. But I have no filing system, so the idea of re-looking at any is out of the question.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    one question about timing: Kurt, when Thursday the 13th gets here, do you want us to wait for you to begin the thread I presume? Or when the clocks strikes midnight is it a free-for-all to see who posts it first?
    I start each thread. It's just too hard to keep my stats otherwise.

Cei-U!
    I hog the "glory"!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I have to say, for some reason I am much more excited this year than in past years. Not that I haven't enjoyed this every year, but for some reason I'm really jazzed this time.
    I've felt that too. I think it's because this year's assignment is a bit more arbitrary by design. It takes some real investigating, uncovering of forgotten gems, and (hopefully) discovery of new gems, as opposed to just requiring you to write synopses of favorites you already pretty much knew you had.

I also appreciate the fact that it's an assignment most fans have equal access to. Some in the past were TOO challenging for me because I hadn't read many newspaper strips and didn't have an informed enough opinion on comic book art.

But I like this new approach this year and am hoping for something similarly arbitrary next year -- perhaps your top 12 comics that happen to feature purple backgrounds on the cover...

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

This year, imho, is easier compared to last one with those inkers....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Some in the past were TOO challenging for me because I hadn't read many newspaper strips and didn't have an informed enough opinion on comic book art.
    Conversely, that was one of my favorites as I'm a big fan of classic strips but never seem to find a lot of opportunity to talk about them.

Yes, that took some considerable research too, but I really loved it.

I learn lots from this board !
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I did end up reading a few series that I would not have gotten around to reading otherwise--and other comics I've always been meaning to give another read. Also ordered several comics from eBay (I discovered I had 200 dollars American in an old Paypal account, thank you Canadian exchange rate), as well as ordering from other online sites. Most have winged their way to me--hopefully the rest of my orders will reach me in time to read for the list. Sadly I still have some holes in my runs that I couldn't fill.

I'm hoping in the future there will be a reading challenge that will compel me to read all of Mr. and Mrs. Superman--what category would that be?