Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Kurt must be rolling in the dough for these positive attention.

I imagine Kurt is doing this right now with at his home

P.S. I'm just poking fun, I enjoy Busiek's work
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 12-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

To each his own. Busiek has made quite an impact in his ( relatively) short time in this industry. Marvels was great and I LOVED JLA/Avengers. Yeah, i would stack him up against most of the top writers in the comic world. But I can't explain why I was underwhelmed by his JLA run...
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    To each his own. Busiek has made quite an impact in his ( relatively) short time in this industry. Marvels was great and I LOVED JLA/Avengers. Yeah, i would stack him up against most of the top writers in the comic world. But I can't explain why I was underwhelmed by his JLA run...
    Because he won't give us a dental plan.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Just made a couple more changes to my list. Getting in pretty good shape now. I have a few that I will be pretty surprised if anybody else lists. I just wish we were starting already, sheesh. The anticipation is killing me.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

If it wasn't too late to qualify (having come out in 2003), Kurt's Arrowsmith mini-series would have been on my list.

(And I'm still waiting for the second volume, Kurt. *Hint, hint.* )

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Yeah -- Arrowsmith was one of the first early '00s series I checked the dates on for these purposes.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    If it wasn't too late to qualify (having come out in 2003), Kurt's Arrowsmith mini-series would have been on my list.

(And I'm still waiting for the second volume, Kurt. *Hint, hint.* )
    I could be crazy, but I think Kurt has said he is working on an Arrowsmith novel. I'm not sure how much he has been able to do due to his health issues though.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Can the rules be tweaked to allow Wizard 1/2 issues? They are genuine books after all, just like the O issues....I summon the fraction technicality.

And...I just had to disqualify one of my picks as it's not a 8 parter with a 1/2 issue as I originally thought...everything else after the 1/2 issue is a #1.

(Devil's Reign...where else would you find Elektra and Witchblade together)
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 12-10-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Check the indicia and GCD. A lot (all?) of those Wizard #0 and #(1/2) issues are actually spearate titles: eg, Wizard Presents Etc.
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Nightcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post

Whereas Marvels was my first exposure to Ross and turned me into a *huge* fan. Not that everything he touches turns to gold by any means (Kingdom Come gets a little worse on each re-reading) but I dig most of it. You should definitely try Marvels again, preferably the TPB collection. The overused phrase "love letter to the Silver Age" usually translates as "I'm wiping my ass with the Silver Age" but in the case of Marvels it's true.

Cei-U!
    In other words, I like it!
    Conversely...

I didn't think that Lee/Kirby and Ditko's - et al, but 'em especially - was improved by burying all the humor in maudlin nostalgia, and the seen-it-all goddamn New Yorky-ness of the Silver Age Marvel NY with a bunch of people standin' around going "Gosh! Wow!"

But I'm with you on Astro City... Confessions is great but the whole series is rock solid, and there's a, like, eight page short story about this dude's wife being erased from continuity which is one of the great works of - well, hell, I guess I can say this with a straight face - literary superheroes.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Well, Archie did have a number of short-lived series when they tried to relaunch titles in the late 80's / early 90's. Stuff like, for example, Jughead's Time Police or Riverdale High, both of which only lasted 6 issues according to GCD (though I think Riverdale High continued under a slightly different name):
    Not Archie per se, but there was a Cheryl Blossom mini-series in 1995.

(Cheryl is my favorite Archie character. I don't quite understand it either.)

But I'm with you on Astro City... Confessions is great but the whole series is rock solid, and there's a, like, eight page short story about this dude's wife being erased from continuity which is one of the great works of - well, hell, I guess I can say this with a straight face - literary superheroes.
    It's not 8 pages, it's 16, as many of us discovered when we wanted to include it in our lists during the favourite short stories 12 Days of a few years back.

Not Archie per se, but there was a Cheryl Blossom mini-series in 1995.

(Cheryl is my favorite Archie character. I don't quite understand it either.)
    And there's Archie's R/C Racers which ran for 10 issues from 1989-1991. Two teams of Riverdale teenagers, led by Archie and Reggie, travel across the United States racing radio-controlled cars, while foiling the dastardly schemes of the villainous Babette and her bungling henchmen.

No, I'm not making that up.

While we're on the subject of short-lived Archie spin-off series, I absolutely considered including Jughead's Diner on my list, except that I haven't read it since I was 10 and no longer have my copies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Can the rules be tweaked to allow Wizard 1/2 issues? They are genuine books after all, just like the O issues....I summon the fraction technicality.
    Yeah, I'll allow that as long as it meets all the other criteria.

Cei-U!
    I summon the dispensation!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    It's not 8 pages, it's 16, as many of us discovered when we wanted to include it in our lists during the favourite short stories 12 Days of a few years back.
    I'm not particularly well known for my memory - For that matter it's been well over a decade since I read Marvels. (Probably. I think.... Eh, screwwit, I don't remember.) I might have a completely different opinion now. I like Alex Ross quite a bit more now 'en I did back then.
    And there's Archie's R/C Racers which ran for 10 issues from 1989-1991. Two teams of Riverdale teenagers, led by Archie and Reggie, travel across the United States racing radio-controlled cars, while foiling the dastardly schemes of the villainous Babette and her bungling henchmen.

No, I'm not making that up.
    That sounds pretty spectacular. If the World's Largest Holstein Cow in New Salem, North Dakota is featured this would be my favorite comic ever.