Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Bunn Battles Strange Menaces with "Venom"

CBR News spoke with "Venom" writer Cullen Bunn about Flash Thompson's ongoing battle with strange, infernal and extra-dimensional threats - not to mention what's in store when he moves to Philadelphia.

Full article here.

Man I love this series.Bunn just likes to mix all sorts of genres in his stories.In his short tenure will already had demons,magic,horror,sci-fi,aliens and some laughs.

I have issues with the demon sub-plot, actually. The symbiote is currently stoned out of its mind, so the demon will apparently be acting as the devil on Flash's shoulder, subtly urging him to the dark side. Uh...isn't that what the symbiote would be doing if it weren't stoned? This seems a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    Man I love this series.Bunn just likes to mix all sorts of genres in his stories.In his short tenure will already had demons,magic,horror,sci-fi,aliens and some laughs.
    Thanks...glad you dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I have issues with the demon sub-plot, actually. The symbiote is currently stoned out of its mind, so the demon will apparently be acting as the devil on Flash's shoulder, subtly urging him to the dark side. Uh...isn't that what the symbiote would be doing if it weren't stoned? This seems a bit redundant.
    Not really where it's going...

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

One thing I think often gets lost in the mix is that the symbiote is capable of learning good and evil, even sacrificing itself for Peter Parker at one point.

I like the idea that Flash will struggle with taking the symibote in as a 'partner,' because this is something that hasn't been addressed. It wasn't until the cartoon and the third Spider-Man film that the symbiote came to represent only inner darkness.

Maybe the Demon will make that apparent...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Cullen Bunn View Post
    Not really where it's going...
    Then I apologize; that was the impression that I got from the article, and it wouldn't have been a development I was thrilled with if it was. I'm quite happy to be speculating incorrectly in this case.

Really looking forward to what is ahead for Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    That's intentional. Rather than having an angel figure and a devil figure, he has two devil figures.