Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I don't think it was a good comic, but, man, I really loved the toys. I was excited to get the Dr. Doom toy, with his animated shield. He didn't have a cape, but I didn't care.

One funny thing about the line was that a big portion of the characters came with a gun. Even Iron Man.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 11-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I was 19 when Secret Wars came out, and I was excited by the concept. But it became apparent early on that Shooter was using this story to force some editorial changes on the readers. Driving a wedge between the mutants and the other heroes. Splitting up Colossus and Kitty. New costume for Spider-man. Etc. Still, the overall story was decent, though it was odd that the villains seemed outnumbered and overpowered by the heroes. Doctor Doom was great, especially when he went up against the Beyonder. Mike Zeck wasn't a great choice for artist. He's okay, but his anatomy is a bit off, and I feel like that problem is emphasized when the characters are wearing colorful spandex costumes.

Secret Wars II was terrible. It actually turned me against Marvel, right at a time when I was beginning to really love post-Crisis DC as well as more of the non-DC/Marvel comics.
    Pretty much my experience too - think I was 15 or 16 when the first series came out. Pretty much enjoyed it.

Secret Wars II, I maybe got the first issue or so of, maybe more. It was kind of the end of Marvel for me. It really ticked me off. Even as a teenager I had a pretty strong notion we were being sold a load of crap - and that's saying something.

I seem to recall Milgrom may have inked the first issue or two of the series - and he put me off as an inker. Still does, he seems to come close to ruining most pencils (in my opinion).

The poor series, coupled with it tying in to everything I was reading, coupled with (same as you) me reading, and loving Crisis on Infinite Earths and then rediscovering DC Comics had me leave Marvel (at least for a title here and there) for close to a decade or more. It wasn't until the 2000's that I started consistently picking up any Marvel title.

In 1984 and '85 I was reading just G.I.Joe and Transformers but I knew about Secret Wars via the inside ads and toys but I didn't pay much attention to it. I actually one have the one issue where Spidey gets the black costume I've seen the other issues for cheap in longboxes but it doesn't entice me to get them.

I know Secret Wars II just sucks because of Al Migrom's art, period.

Lizard izard izard.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I'm pretty sure I was 16 when Secret Wars started. I'm not sure exactly how far I made it in, but at some point I stopped buying it because it was just mind-numbingly stupid. That's all I can really say, because I've had no interest in re-visiting it since. If it was too dumb for me at 16 I can't imagine that I'd like it at 45.

As a result I avoided the sequel like the plague.

I was 14 when Secret Wars came out, and while I think I mostly thought it was decent, there were a lot of things I hated. The annoying mentally-disabled Klaw, the various romances (Magneto/Wasp, Lizard/Wasp, Colossus/healer), and worst of all the terrible characterization of the X-Men. Shooter was a great editor, but as a writer I don't think he really had a handle on who most characters were.

I never liked anything about Secret Wars II, though (as VDCNI mentioned above) Stern, Claremont and Byrne did well with their imposed crossovers.

One thing I liked about Secret Wars is that all of the heroes and villains had a chance to shine.

Some of my personal highlights:

Doom. Doom was just incredibly awesome throughout the series. The battle against the heroes was just a side game to him, while he plotted to steal the Beyonder's power. I loved that he programmed Ultron to be his personal bodyguard. "Ultron, slay Kang!"

I think everybody remembers the Hulk holding up the mountain. Epic scene that really showed off the Hulk's power, and the cover for that issue was great.

Thor believing that the rest of the heroes are dead, and taking on all of the villains solo.

Spider-Man making the X-Men look like a bunch of amateur clowns. I'm sure this was awful if you were an X-Men fan but I loved it. Later Wasp knocked them around a bit as well, haha.

Captain America reassembling his shield through force of will (using the residual wish granting power of the Beyonder).

Also you could mostly ignore it if you didn't want to read it, unlike II.
    Life looks better in black and white.

It also created 3 new female characters, but no males that I can remember which must be quite rare for these things. The first appearance of the second Spider Woman - not sure the rationale of introducing another one so soon after they killed off Jessica Drew then brought her back and depowered her. Plus Volcana & Titania on the villains side - presumably as there was a distinct lack of female villains at that time

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    about Secret Wars II [snip] Stern, Claremont and Byrne did well with their imposed crossovers.
    I also remember O'Neil on Daredevil and Simonson on Thor.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    One thing I liked about Secret Wars is that all of the heroes and villains had a chance to shine.

Some of my personal highlights:

Doom. Doom was just incredibly awesome throughout the series. The battle against the heroes was just a side game to him, while he plotted to steal the Beyonder's power. I loved that he programmed Ultron to be his personal bodyguard. "Ultron, slay Kang!"
    Well, not to be contrarian here, but I think your second statement disproves your first.

Doom was totally awesome in this series, but the Avengers villains -- Ultron and Kang -- were treated like complete fools. As an Avengers fan, it's one of my biggest problems with the series.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I've never really read this series in its entirety, besides #8 where Spiderman gets the black suit. I wouldn't mind reading it, but while I don't mind crossovers, I'm not a big fan of stories where so many characters from different franchises come in, as I end up not caring about over half the story.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I've never really read this series in its entirety, besides #8 where Spiderman gets the black suit. I wouldn't mind reading it, but while I don't mind crossovers, I'm not a big fan of stories where so many characters from different franchises come in, as I end up not caring about over half the story.
    In 1985, they were not "characters from different franchises" because there were no "franchises". They were just characters from the Marvel Universe.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Well, not to be contrarian here, but I think your second statement disproves your first.

Doom was totally awesome in this series, but the Avengers villains -- Ultron and Kang -- were treated like complete fools. As an Avengers fan, it's one of my biggest problems with the series.
    Building up one character at the expense of another is always a sure sign of weak writing, and it happens all too often in superhero comics.

And, for me at least, it doesn't even work: instead of making character X (Dr. Doom in the example above) look impressive, it just makes character Y (Ultron &/or Kang) look feeble, detracting from their next appearance. How many once awe-inspiring characters have been diminished over the years by the repeated use of this shoddy device by lazy writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post

Ultron got to do quite a bit, just not in the normal way he might have. Now with Kang you have legitimate complaint. As I have never liked Kang much, it wasn't a big deal to me. But point taken.

Kang tried to assassinate Doom (totally in character) to take over. He underestimated Doom and failed. Then Doom had Ultron dispose of him. I honestly don't have a problem with this, as I consider Kang to be quite a bit lower on the ladder of villainy and impressiveness than Doom.

BUT as I see how it would be disappointing to a Kang fan, and his death could have been a bit more fleshed out with Kang putting up more of a fight.
    Last edited by destro; 11-23-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Building up one character at the expense of another is always a sure sign of weak writing, and it happens all too often in superhero comics.

And, for me at least, it doesn't even work: instead of making character X (Dr. Doom in the example above) look impressive, it just makes character Y (Ultron &/or Kang) look feeble, detracting from their next appearance. How many once awe-inspiring characters have been diminished over the years by the repeated use of this shoddy device by lazy writers.
    With Kang you have a point. But Ultron wasn't made to look weak. Ultron flipped out being around so many organics and started attacking all of the other villains. Doom had the Molecule man smash Ultron into Galactus which got his attention. Galactus then drained him of energy, leaving him a shell open for re-programming by Doom. And for most of the rest of the series the other villains were scared as hell of Ultron.

Not standing up against Galactus is hardly weak. Doom was completely in character manipulating the situation, disposing of a dangerous enemy (even thinking during the initial attack that Ultron would eventually smash through is force field) and then using his knowledge of robotics to make a slave of him. Quite well written and handled I think.