Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

I just bought a signed copy of issue 3 so that is my vote!
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

My alltime favorite Doc Ock tale is contained within the pages of issues 72-79 of Spectacular Spider-Man. I love the team-up of him and Owl... I love when the Black Cat gets shot all to hell, I love when Spidey tears off his arms... I love it all. Great little filler issue in there as well, starring Gladiator. I wish they would collect this run into a new HC/TPB, it would certainly be worth it. That being said, they should collect all of Spectacular, as it's in my opinion, the best Spidey series!

Quote Originally Posted by dingbat46 View Post
    My alltime favorite Doc Ock tale is contained within the pages of issues 72-79 of Spectacular Spider-Man. I love the team-up of him and Owl... I love when the Black Cat gets shot all to hell, I love when Spidey tears off his arms... I love it all. Great little filler issue in there as well, starring Gladiator. I wish they would collect this run into a new HC/TPB, it would certainly be worth it. That being said, they should collect all of Spectacular, as it's in my opinion, the best Spidey series!
    I agree with this 100%, The original PPSS run was fantastic. The issue where Pete reveals his identity to Cat was huge for me as a kid.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

The Ock/Owl Gang War was indeed awesome. I also enjoyed the fallout, where Peter gave Doc such a brutal beating that he was TERRIFIED of Spider-Man for the next several years.

I don't remember how good the execution was, but I do recall thinking it was pretty cool when Spider-Man actually had to intentionally lose to Ock to keep him from blowing up NYC. Or something like that. It was the moment when Ock got over his fear of Spider-Man. This was ASM 297-98 if memory serves.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

The George Stacy Story

Revenge of the Sinister Six. But only because the first issue of this multi-part story was my first issue of Amazing Spiderman ever as a kid. So I'm biased.
    Cyclops was right.

This didn't appear in Spider-Man, but I always liked his battle with Mr. Fantastic during Byrne's FF run.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    With ol' Doc Ock being the main player as we build towards 700, I thought I'd get the opnions of some fellow fans as to what you think the best Doc Ock stories are and why.

Here are some of mine:

Amazing Spider-Man #11:
    Peter's current love interest, Betty, loses her brother during a fight between Spider-Man, Ock and a gang of criminals who Bennett owed money to.

Spectacular Spider-Man (2) #6-10: Just a great thriller, and really shows how big Ock's ego is and how far his insecurities go. Great Ramos art, too.

Spider-Man/Doc Ock: Year One: The best example of Ock as a dark reflection of what Peter Parker may have been, and a must-read for anyone seeking to get a grasp on the character.

Spider-Man 2: A different take on Ock, yet it worked. It is hard to find sympathy for the comic version of the character, but I enjoyed this take. I would love to see Ock in the new franchise at some point.

USM: Hollywood:
    Just a fantastic, fun story. Ock's first appearance (as Doc Ock) in USM was good too. Interestingly, like how 616 Ock and Peter are linked, the ultimate versions of the characters are too. Both gained their powers from the same place in the same period of time, and both were killed on the same night by the same man.

Forgot the issues. His first death: I actually thought Ock went out in a good way, and personally would have preferred it if Carolyn Trainer stuck as the new Doc Ock. I liked that he found happiness with Stunner (who was a good character in her own right) and Ock using his last moments to save Peter was brilliant and a surprise, yet also fitting - especially considering Peter worked to cure him of his arachnophobia. The fact that Ock saved Peter, while a corrupted clone of Peter murdered him was a nice touch.

I have others too, I never realised how just how many good stories feature the good doctor.
    Give me a break! Enough is enough with the propaganda!

My choices are the following:
    1)First appearence
    2) The unmasking of Spider Man
    3) The Master Planner
    4) The Nulifier story where Spidey looses his memory
    5) George Stacy's death
    6) The gang war between Doctor Ock and the Owl with Spidey and the Black Cat. This story led to a great clash between Spidey and Ock in the hospital where Felicia was treated after an almost fatal gunning. Truly awesome stuff!
    7) Doctor Ock's meeting with Kaine
    8) Doctor Ock's appearence in F4 in a story where a pregnant Susan falls victim to a poisoning which only Otto could cure so he agreed to work with Richards so he can find the cure. Unfortunately, his madness resulted in a clash with Mr Fantastic. Susan managed to survive but the child could not!
    9) AMS 600
    10)Ends Of The Earth

Has anyone ever read the Sinister Six novels by Adam Troy-Castro?

Some of the finest Doc Ock writing is contained in those awesome books.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Give me a break! Enough is enough with the propaganda!
    Propaganda? Wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Keehar View Post
    Has anyone ever read the Sinister Six novels by Adam Troy-Castro?

Some of the finest Doc Ock writing is contained in those awesome books.
    Oh, yeah, with the Gentleman and Pity? Sadly, those two were rather sub-par new characters, but yeah, they were still fun reads.

Honestly, Ock's never made as much of an impression of me as I feel he should have. I can't think of any stories off the top of my head that really engaged me.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Propaganda? Wha?

Oh, yeah, with the Gentleman and Pity? Sadly, those two were rather sub-par new characters, but yeah, they were still fun reads.

Honestly, Ock's never made as much of an impression of me as I feel he should have. I can't think of any stories off the top of my head that really engaged me.
    No way on Earth can he convince me that Ramos's art was good back then!

A story not mentioned yet, Spider-Man Unlimited vol. 1 #3 - Ock's origins before he became the super villain. It's a real tragic tale where you almost feel sorry for the man. Plus with what his ultimate goal within the story is also tragic.
    Behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die!

I rate the Ditko stories, the gang war with Owl/Black Cat and the death of Captain Stacy. These were great because what was at stake was personal to Spidey.

I have a big problem with some of the other Doc Ock stories. He's always aiming so big that there's no tension. He always wants to blow up the world, often within a single issue, and you know from page 1 that that is not going to happen, so you can't take it seriously.

ASM 600 I can barely remember, but I think it had him plotting something you just knew wasn't going to happen. Ends of the Earth was well-written, but, you know, did anyone think for a second that he was actually gonna manage to kill 95% of all humans? It was just a huge six-issue slugfest, with Silver Sable's apparent death the only note of genuine dramatic concern.

I like the latest issue cos switching bodies with Peter, while obviously not permanent, is at least a crime on a realistic scale. This is a story that can lead somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Really? I thought they were both great characters, especially The Gentleman. Fantastic villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarius View Post
    ASM 297 shows how far Ock can go to kill Spiderman.Knowing that his "arachnophobia" wouldn't allow him a direct confrontation with Spiderman,he decided to steal deadly bacterias and use them to kill everyone in Manhattan,including wall-crawler.
    I have a soft spot for these two issues (296-297) since I starting buying Spidey religiously every month back then in 1987. Issue 297 was also the first appearance of Spidey's new webshooters that have red blinking indicator lights when his web fluid is getting low and spider-tracer launchers.
    - Jason G. Carr