Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Anne Hataway's Catwoman

Who else thinks she's quite the cutie to play the role? i mean Hathaway is kind of the girl next door type to play the role but now things are changing since she will play Selina Kyle and she did wowed me in Havok.

Anyone thinks she will live up to other catwoman actresses like Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Michelle Pfeifer and Adrienne Barbeau?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServoFan View Post
    Who else thinks she's quite the cutie to play the role? i mean Hathaway is kind of the girl next door type to play the role but now things are changing since she will play Selina Kyle and she did wowed me in Havok.

Anyone thinks she will live up to other catwoman actresses like Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Michelle Pfeifer and Adrienne Barbeau?
    A few of my coworkers have mentioned they believe that Hathaway isn't 'hot' enough to play Catwoman, and one guy even suggested Megan Fox would be better, but I think Hathaway has potential to put her own mark on Catwoman and I expect her to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    A few of my coworkers have mentioned they believe that Hathaway isn't 'hot' enough to play Catwoman, and one guy even suggested Megan Fox would be better, but I think Hathaway has potential to put her own mark on Catwoman and I expect her to be great.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but your coworkers are idiots.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Right, Megan Fox. The woman who considers direction from the person basically paying her to be 'like Hitler', and whose only smart move as an actress was to send up diva-style antics in How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. We really need an actress as Catwoman whose sole facial expression is 'pursed lips with teeth slightly on show', as opposed to someone who can actually ACT. The people complaining about Hathaway not being 'hot' enough either haven't looked closely enough at her, have some skewed tastes, or don't get that 'hotness' is not the only thing Catwoman has going for her. They're also likely the types that thought Ledger couldn't possibly play Joker, and though I don't LIKE Ledger's Joker, I at least appreciate the craft that went into it.

BANNED

I have faith in Hathaway. She is cute and is a good actress. I don't have faith in the Nolan Bros ability to write female characters or anything being remotely sensual though.

Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar

I think she is going to do just fine as Catwoman, at first I thought it was strange, but now I am all for it.

I have not been hearing she is not "hot" or whatever, I have mostly been hearing that people think she is a really bad actress. To which I say, "I don't think so, go away...." (ok so I don't say the go away part, but whatever :P )
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I think she is going to do just fine as Catwoman, at first I thought it was strange, but now I am all for it.

I have not been hearing she is not "hot" or whatever, I have mostly been hearing that people think she is a really bad actress. To which I say, "I don't think so, go away...." (ok so I don't say the go away part, but whatever :P )
    Hathaway's a far better actress than some of the usual contenders that people put forward for Selina. So.. Yeah. Total agreement here.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServoFan View Post

I'll start with one thing first, Tom. When she was first announced in the role as Selina Kyle, everyone referenced this movie Havoc as the reason of why she would be good as the character. I saw it randomly one day on the Sundance channel and I just don't see why people use this role as proof. She is playing exactly what she always played, a "girl next door," who happens to fall in the wrong crowd, pretends to be this bad-a**, and ends up being caught up and a scared girl. Not a woman. The one sexy scene she had in Havoc where she crawls over, disrobes and asked if the poor kid "do you want to **** me?" just plays awkward, especially in context. I'm not saying she was bad in the movie, she played the role she was given... it just wasn't Selina.

And as far your co-workers, Chic, I don't know about "hot," because thats a very subjective word. One person's hot is another persons so-so. Does that mean that person's not attractive? Not always. Do I think Anne Hathaway's hot? Not really. Is she extremely photogenic and attractive? Of course. As far as acting, she has the chops. Which Megan Fox *cringe* definitely has not a lot of those.

Now, what do I think now about Anne Hathaway in the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman? A little better from when I first heard it. No, I didn't see her in the role. I, personally thought she was more cute than sexy. Catwoman's sexy (even when she's being cute). I wasn't convinced she could fill out the catsuit, because I like Selina curvy... and I've since been proved wrong. The costume grew on me, I've always appreciated all the nuances to a few versions of the character (Newmar/Cooke/Balent), I'm still not completely loving the fact she couldn't dye her hair a darker brunette for the film, but whatev. As far as how she performs, in the trailers I'm seeing a peak, I definitely liked when she referenced the original inspiration for Bob Kane, Jean Harlow. But, I'm still weary, but cautiously optimistic.

I know I'll be entertained, so I'm definitely excited for the movie as a whole. I love Bane and Catwoman together, because when I first got in to comics that was what was going on in the Bat-comics. And from the start I've been trying to say "in Nolan I trust," I just didn't mean it completely. Don't get me wrong, Ledger's Joker blew everyone out of the water unexpectedly, but Nolan's handle on female characters doesn't have the best track record. Anyways, yes, I'm excited.

Anne Hathaway's face still annoys me a little.

I think Anne Hathaway is a good fit for the role - in terms of looks she isn't as edgy as I would've imagined for the character (based purely on aesthetics I think Selma Blair would've been the best choice) but Hathaway is fantastic with edgier roles as noted in Rachel Getting Married and Havoc. I think Hathaway will be able to handle Selina Kyle's character and I'm looking forward to what she does with the role.

Ann Hathaway is the weak link in the movie. It's like casting the next Julia Roberts as Catwoman. Stick to the roles you can do. In Entertainment Weekly she said she thought was being called in for Harley Quinn, which would make more sense (though still not a great choice). Marion Cotillard would have been a much better choice, if she is not a surprise Talia in he movie then they really wasted that opportunity. Nolan, or whoever he consistently uses for casting, is not great when picking actresses.

Also... the long hair seems awkward.
    My Canon > Your Canon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Ann Hathaway is the weak link in the movie. It's like casting the next Julia Roberts as Catwoman. Stick to the roles you can do. In Entertainment Weekly she said she thought was being called in for Harley Quinn, which would make more sense (though still not a great choice). Marion Cotillard would have been a much better choice, if she is not a surprise Talia in he movie then they really wasted that opportunity. Nolan, or whoever he consistently uses for casting, is not great when picking actresses.

Also... the long hair seems awkward.
    Stick to the roles you can do? You mean like Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz was a stereotypical Brando role right? Or Heath Ledger playing the Joker? Or Brad Pitt playing a bare knuckle boxing Irish gypsy? Or hundreds if not thousands of other examples of actors/actresses going against type.

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

While Anne is not my first choice (that would be Eva Green), I didn't have a visceral reaction to her being cast. And I love her look and demeanor from the clips I've seen so far. I'm glad Nolan decided on the Julie Newmar look, long hair and all. I don't think the cowl+goggle version in the comics is attractive at all. Frankly, it's better off on someone auditioning for the swim team.

The early reviews are promising. Apparently, she's spectacular (as compared to Marion only earning a "solid") and some reviewers even say she'll surpass Michelle. So, I'm not too worried about July 20.

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I like what I have seen from her in the trailers. I think she did a good job with the voice and her presence. I've also taken a liking to the costume, I miss seeing Selina with long hair in the comics. My only complaint is that she's not using a whip, which has nothing to do with Hathaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Stick to the roles you can do? You mean like Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz was a stereotypical Brando role right? Or Heath Ledger playing the Joker? Or Brad Pitt playing a bare knuckle boxing Irish gypsy? Or hundreds if not thousands of other examples of actors/actresses going against type.
    Your examples are of talented actors going against type. The difference (to me) is that Hathaway is not that. She is a personality and the fun good girl. She like Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, and many others are actors that are good at playing a basic persona. Which is still a challenge, and they do well. I certainly don't blame her for taking the part, I commend her wanting to push herself. But I think it was a poor decision on the casting director and Nolan's part. I will gladly eat my words (and hope I do) if Hathaway proves to be a decent Catwoman. But I'm not expecting much from her.
    My Canon > Your Canon

BANNED

I get what you are saying but i think she's a pretty decent actress. My fears are not with her though. Like i said, i don't think i've seen Nolan write a strong female character that doesn't exist to solely serve the plot, or be a cypher for the audience before. And i know he hasn't written a character who is sensual and playful before.