View Poll Results: What did you think of USM #17?

Voters
28. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't Wait for the next issue.

10 35.71%
  • Good. I like where the story is going.

8 28.57%
  • Meh. Not bad, but it could have been worse.

8 28.57%
  • Bad. I'm not a fan of the story.

2 7.14%
  • Awful! Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #17

I did not see a thread on this so I've started one.

So the newest issue of Ultimate Spider-Man is out and it sees Miles fighting in the big war during the event. I enjoyed the art, the story was okay. And this issue was not at least for me one of the better issues. Luckily this event is over and it looks like the next arc is finally going to bring the series back to being a fun spider-man comic. Well the next issue looks to be the after math of the event of Miles and his cast which hopefully will be good. And then we get to have Venom back!

My biggest problem I had with this issue is it should have come out a month ago before the last 2 issues of both the Ultimates and X-Men. The event is over and the after math has just begun with Ultimate X-Men 18.1 serving as the Epilogue for the event (at least for Ultimate X-Men). This issue felt more of a filler for Ultimate Spider-Man than anything important. As I've said it should have been released sooner, or at least before Ultimates #18. But whatever I guess. Now if I choose to re-read this event at least I can read this issue before the others where it feels to take place.

While I feel this issue should have been released sooner, having Spider-Women around and talking was fun. I just wish she was around more often not just here in Ultimate Spider-Man but the whole Ultimate Universe. I am hoping that Jessica is around in future issues because I've enjoyed how she and Miles react to one another. And I do want to see more of this.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

On Vacation

Yah 16.1 is kind of a spoiler that should have been 17.1 or 18.1. We know Miles survives and that UWS has ended.

It was a decent enough story, nothing spectacular. I was a little bummed that there wasn't much to the interaction between Miles and Spiderwoman, I've been waiting for more of that since their first confrontation.

Also of note, in the panel where they're standing back to back did any one else think the proportions looked waay off? I'm not usually one to complain but the art in that scene just looked weird to me. I know that Miles is a scrawny, young kid but he looked absolutely tiny next to her.

It's probably not him but the bearded dude in the SHIELD van along with Jefferson looked an awful lot like Eddie Brock
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    It's probably not him but the bearded dude in the SHIELD van along with Jefferson looked an awful lot like Eddie Brock
    If Miles' dad proves to be the new Venom...it could be fun, but I don't know. A part of me wants Eddie Brock back. Or at least for Bendis to wrap up the Venom story while beginning a new one. But we will see.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

This was a good issue. A definite step back from the .1 though. I could have had more story progression and less fighting/ banter. Still a good issue though.
    Comics are more better.

I like Miles Morales, but was I the only one who kind of enjoyed him getting a bit damaged? I mean, I usually don't say this, but Miles keeps getting handed the easy fights, for the most part. The only difficult battle he's had so far is against his uncle. I kinda want him to fail and learn like Peter did in order to emerge triumphant in the end. It was starting to get a bit predictable since "Venom Blast" has pretty much become an One Touch Kill method to end fights. (Not LITTERALLY kill, but you know what I mean by OTK).
    Check out my Spark Comics: http://SparkComic.com
    Cyclops Vs. The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/14oECsT
    Superior Spider-Man Vs The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/122FuwE

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Man this is not a good time to be Spider-Man in the UU is it, the Ultimates keep forgetting about you. First Peter on the bridge after he took a bullet for Cap and now Miles in the middle of nowhere after he helped fight in this battle. You'd think someone would notice that they seem to be missing a certain 13 year old.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Man this is not a good time to be Spider-Man in the UU is it, the Ultimates keep forgetting about you. First Peter on the bridge after he took a bullet for Cap and now Miles in the middle of nowhere after he helped fight in this battle. You'd think someone would notice that they seem to be missing a certain 13 year old.
    Sumhw doubt dey wud notice when all kinds of bullets, missiles, lazers, RPG's r shooting & blowing up allover d place.

Solid issue. I'm glad to see Miles finally face a real challenge and not just get handed a victory. He fought bravely, even if he made so poor choices from time to time. Jessica's dialogue in this issue reminded me so much of Peter, although that was probably the point. I thought the art was a okay, not up to the standards I've come to expect for UCSM, but it certainly wasn't bad by any stretch. If I have a gripe it's that when a grenade goes off that close to someone, they don't just get blown back 10 feet, there should have been some serious shrapnel stuck in Jessica and Miles.

The thing I took away most from this issue is that I want Bendis writing Jessica in either a mini, a solo series or in Miles book.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I liked poor Miles ending up so in-over-his head during his first big crossover event. The other heroes have all been at it longer but he's really never dealt with anything of this scale.

Decent issue. I'm really interested in where they're going with Miles' dad. I really didn't like Spider-Woman in this issue. She came off as bratty and immature arguing with Hawkeye when there was far more important stuff going on, and was really just a jerk to Miles yet again. If she's essentially Peter...well, I don't remember Peter ever being that snotty and it kinda bothers me that he/she is acting that way in this scenario.

That's my only real complaint, though. Pretty solid, interesting issue otherwise.

USM was one of the better books out of the whole 'Divided/United' storylines, but the big battle with Hydra didnt really feel all that big. #17 was good though fitting in with the rest of USM but. I placed 16.1 in reading order after #14, as it seems like a plausible place to cover the time gap between #14 and #15.

Also the Venom story is called 'war of the symbiotes' right? That to me sounds like a battle between 2 symbiotes. We've seen the new one in 16.1, who seems much more Carnage inspired, and also talks completely normal, on another cover we have the huge hulking Venom of Eddie Brock. So I think it might be a battle between those 2, with Miles caught up in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mat View Post
    USM was one of the better books out of the whole 'Divided/United' storylines, but the big battle with Hydra didnt really feel all that big. #17 was good though fitting in with the rest of USM but. I placed 16.1 in reading order after #14, as it seems like a plausible place to cover the time gap between #14 and #15.

Also the Venom story is called 'war of the symbiotes' right? That to me sounds like a battle between 2 symbiotes. We've seen the new one in 16.1, who seems much more Carnage inspired, and also talks completely normal, on another cover we have the huge hulking Venom of Eddie Brock. So I think it might be a battle between those 2, with Miles caught up in the middle.
    "War of the Symbiotes" is an old story arc from Ultimate Spider-Man.

The upcoming story arc for Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man is called "Venom Wars".
    Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; 11-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Hope you're right, I want Eddie Brock story to have a conclusion, his montrous Venom really amazed me! After this issue it really looks like Miles dad is more than he apears to be, mayme he really IS the nem Venom as someone guessed recently.

I also agree with you in placing issue #16.1 after #14, it's the more logical place for it