Default Disappointed in the binding method of volume 1 walking dead omnibus

Hi all. I recently decided that collecting my comic series in hardcover and deluxe hardcover is the way to go. Today I was excited to pick up my order for walking dead omnibus vol 1, walking dead HC vol 3 and hell boy library edition volume one. Having the hell boy as comparison helps in what I am trying to say here:

Why is the binding in a 100 dollar list price slipcase deluxe book a heavy mixture of glue binding and what looks to be partly sewn as well, and why is it glued to the spine?

The hell boy library edition in comparison is fully sewn, isn't glued to the spine and was 35 bucks less and is almost as big, but no slipcase.

What worries me is that I had my chew omnivore vol. 1 start to fall apart after a few reads due to the crappy binding. I was hoping image would use a fully sewn binding for a large collection like this. For chew, They shipped me a replace ment and their customer service is great but so far their hardcover binding doesn't seem to be very great.

I also noticed on a page so far When I was softening the spine that the text got smeared in one spot and what also looks like a black smudge as well. I haven't gone through it fully yet to see if its anywhere else.

The actual book itself, the art, paper quality, slipcase are fantastic, I guess I'm just confused why they skimp and use glue when DC absolutes and marvel omnibuses these days are fully sewn.

I noticed the crappy binding on the Chew Omnis on my very first read through. I hate it when you hear the glue start to crack. You really have to be careful or you know all the pages are going to start falling out at some point.

I can't say that I've noticed the same problem though on Invincible or Walking Dead HCs. I can't say on the Walking Dead omnis because I got rid of mine and only skimmed through one of them.

Paying big bucks, you'd hope they are using something that will last.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

My Chew omnis seem OK so far. I'm pretty careful with bindings though. I never ever try and open a book flat - hardcover or trade. I always hold them such that theres a bit of flex room left...even if they are sewn like the HB librarys...

Image bindings can often leave a little to be desired. The majority of my copy of Ultra: Seven Days (~200-300 pages long) fell out when I first opened it as the glue really sucked.

If your book is really falling apart then I would recommend emailing the publisher with the title, volume number and printing number. The printing number will be on the title page, near the bottom. You'll see a series of numbers starting with 10 and counting down. Your printing will be the lowest number on that list.

Publishers really do take this kind of thing seriously, but they can't do anything about it if no one tells them that there's a problem.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

TBH, I actually did send back my Chew Omnivore Volume 1 as it fell apart after several reads, i tried being careful opening it but you could hear the thing cracking like crazy and it did fall apart quite easily. Image Customer Support was excellent and they sent me a brand new copy without having to pay anything, so I have nothing against their customer service or the content of the books (fabulous stuff from Image!). I just wish they would put more care into their binding, or at least use higher quality binding methods with their more expensive items.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    If your book is really falling apart then I would recommend emailing the publisher with the title, volume number and printing number. The printing number will be on the title page, near the bottom. You'll see a series of numbers starting with 10 and counting down. Your printing will be the lowest number on that list.

Publishers really do take this kind of thing seriously, but they can't do anything about it if no one tells them that there's a problem.