Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Indestructible Hulk #1 *Spoilers*

This week, the Marvel NOW! title "Indestructible Hulk" hit the stands--Written by Mark Waid, drawn by Leinil Francis Yu, colored by Sunny Gho, and lettered by Chris Eliopoulos. What is the Hulk's new direction? What is Mark Waid's take on the character?

...SPOILERS...

The story is aptly titled "Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.", as it shows us how Bruce Banner approaches Maria Hill, makes a pitch for why S.H.I.E.L.D. should hire him, and demonstrates the potential usefulness of the Hulk by taking down a villain. That's the basic plot in a nutshell. Waid's take on Banner is very similar to how he picked up Matt Murdock. Here is a man who has come to accept things about himself and wants to improve his life and others' lives. Bruce's problem is a lot more specific than Matt's were, but it's the same starting point. Banner needs the Hulk. The Hulk needs Banner. Let's see how we can make this work. Turns out, it's Ultimates/Movie Avengers approach--treat Hulk as a weapon, use Bruce for his know-how.

Yu and Gho provide us some nice-looking interiors. I do like the clear and crisp look. However, the perspective and the layout are a bit wonky in spots.

Overall, it's a fairly average start, but I feel it easily could improve as it moves forward.

What say you, the people?

I thought it was a very solid start with some great art. This is my first real Hulk books, so it was really interested and fun to see how Banner was portrayed vs. my impressions from other posters and from how the movies present him. Very much looking forward to #2.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Avengers section? That't where the review was posted and he's an Avenger again.

Anyway, i loved it!

It seems Waid is borrowing from the film TIH and TA films at least in part here. A few lines of dialogue seem to indicate as much. Plus the whole Agent of SHIELD thing and finding a way to keep him an Avenger. All this helps with cross pollinating should any folks come over from just/only being exposed to the character via the films.
    I was hoping for some direct mention of where Aaron's book ended but Waid left a few places that could be pigeon holed in I suppose.

Additionally from a story narrative perspective Waid is carrying over, intentional or not, the idea of a female co-lead. Here, at least for the first arc anyway, Maria Hill seems to be that role. In Aaron's run it was Von Doom.

Shows promise enough to get next issue at least.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I enjoyed this, the tension in the diner conversation is very reminiscent of Banners dialogue with Black widow in Avengers which I thought was spectacular(I'm sure that was intentional)

Banner really showed his worth, and a good amount of... lets say swagger here.

Its entertaining to be sure, Banner's bravado and control over his own situation gives a dynamic sense of confidence for himself in his new status quo thats cool to watch. He made a good pitch for himself in both Hill's eyes and in a meta sort of way,for the readers as well.

Even despite that I'm iffy as to wether I'll stay put for long. This is a good book so far and Mark Waid is a good writer... but its gonna have to keep a frantic pace to keep me interested. With the cheaper and bolder Red-She Hulk book around I question if I really need to keep reading about her former husband. The next issue or so may decide that for me. But still well written all around.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

(Just copying my reviewette from the other thread.)

Read this, and while it's a competent story, I'm not really happy with it for three reasons:

1. It basically ignores most of the Hulk's recent history, going back to the Pak era, if not before. This is hardly the first time Bruce has focused on his science (does the word "Bannertech" ring any bells?). Waid is usually better than this.

2. There's no indication the Hulk has any intellect at all. Childlike, sullen, whatever. I don't even think he gets any dialogue.

3. Banner doesn't "feel" like Banner. Or look like him, for that matter. His character design is so generic, the only way I knew it was him is the dialogue saying so.

It's not a BAD issue. Just not a great one.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    (Just copying my reviewette from the other thread.)

Read this, and while it's a competent story, I'm not really happy with it for three reasons:

1. It basically ignores most of the Hulk's recent history, going back to the Pak era, if not before. This is hardly the first time Bruce has focused on his science (does the word "Bannertech" ring any bells?). Waid is usually better than this.

2. There's no indication the Hulk has any intellect at all. Childlike, sullen, whatever. I don't even think he gets any dialogue.

3. Banner doesn't "feel" like Banner. Or look like him, for that matter. His character design is so generic, the only way I knew it was him is the dialogue saying so.

It's not a BAD issue. Just not a great one.
    completely agree

I'm a big Waid fan and the Strongest Hulk fan there is. I'm glad the Aaron stuff was glossed over. This issue wasn't ground breaking but it did a good job of laying a foundation. I am not a fan of the art. So wish we had an artist like Allred or Rodriguez to give it a throwback feel. I've never liked Yu's stuff.

I'm also in the "it was alright" camp.

Mark sets up the long running story well enough and the built in ties to Secret Avengers were pretty neat. I also liked the usage of the Mad Thinker and the way he uses his arsenal but Banner still felt kind of off in his interpretation. Overall the issue was good but it just didn't grab my interest the way Thor, All New X-Men or even JiM has so far although I'm sure the book will improve as it continues and I'm always a fan of Leinil Yu's art so that was another positive.

Not worth $3.99 personally but I'd give it a 7/10

I really like what Waid is doing here, making Banner just as important, in a way that flexes his intellect...

I'm a big fan of Yu's artwork, besides a few weird panel layouts, everything looked great...

Loved the dialouge between Banner and Hill, had some nice dry humor...

Wonder who's the guy (N.Fury?) Banner is checking back with on a regular basis...
    Last edited by agent_graves; 11-22-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_graves View Post
    I really like what Waid is doing here, making Banner just as important, in a way that flexes his intellect...

I'm a big fan of Yu's artwork, besides a few weird panel layouts, everything looked great...

Loved the dialouge between Banter and Hill, had some nice dry humor...

Wonder who's the guy (N.Fury?) Banner is checking back with on a regular basis...
    I agree. The diner scene was particularly well done. My review here if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I'm also in the "it was alright" camp.

Mark sets up the long running story well enough and the built in ties to Secret Avengers were pretty neat. I also liked the usage of the Mad Thinker and the way he uses his arsenal but Banner still felt kind of off in his interpretation. Overall the issue was good but it just didn't grab my interest the way Thor, All New X-Men or even JiM has so far although I'm sure the book will improve as it continues and I'm always a fan of Leinil Yu's art so that was another positive.

Not worth $3.99 personally but I'd give it a 7/10
    I had the same sentiment. Maybe because the book is mostly setting up the new direction.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Avengers section? That't where the review was posted and he's an Avenger again.
    The original announcement and live interview were posted here, and the Hulk thread is already here, so I see no harm in it being two places.

Quote Originally Posted by T.M. Anthony View Post
    With the cheaper and bolder Red-She Hulk book around I question if I really need to keep reading about her former husband.
    Yeah, entertaining as it was, it doesn't really seem like it's worth the $3.99 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I had the same sentiment. Maybe because the book is mostly setting up the new direction.
    It's interesting because Fantastic Four was the same exact way so these titles will probably need a little more time to really judge whether the run will utimately be worth it or not but I'd be a lot harsher with the $3.99 stuff at the moment given how many of them are coming out and are all vying for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Yeah, entertaining as it was, it doesn't really seem like it's worth the $3.99 price point.
    Yeah I think now more than ever the $3.99 books will have to really grab people and wow them from the onset, otherwise I can see people dropping them but at most I'd give titles like Cap, Hulk, and the cosmic books an arc if I were more tolerant on the pricing.

Agreed. I think if this was 2.99 I'd certainly give it a chance. I liked it, though. Yu's art was better, more dynamic than I've seen before from him. It was an issue that was easy to get into without having much prior knowledge, that's a big plus.