Default Scalped-Now one of my favorite series!

I am almost done the first trade and it is already one of my favorite series!!!!

Does it stay as good as the first trade?

Quote Originally Posted by weshes195 View Post
    I am almost done the first trade and it is already one of my favorite series!!!!

Does it stay as good as the first trade?
    I'm on the sixth trade, and I didn't really care for Scalped until the first Dino Poor Bear "solo issue." Then I loved it.

I'd say it only gets better as it goes along.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Nope, it only gets better. I liked the first trade, but the second trade is what did it for me. It's a whole series of one shots that focus on individual characters in the series, adding depth and layering to it. Hell, it was when I first started to have some form of pity for the main bad guy! Incredible.

Reading volume 2. Loving it!!

Hey, I am getting into Vertigo (the reason why I bought Scalped). I want to get into some series. Are the series DMZ, Northlanders, The Unwritten, Unknown Soldier (Joshua Dysert series), and Ex Machina good?

I own a couple of volumes of some of these, but I never read them. I have heard that some of them has gotten very good reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by weshes195 View Post
    Hey, I am getting into Vertigo (the reason why I bought Scalped). I want to get into some series. Are the series DMZ, Northlanders, The Unwritten, Unknown Soldier (Joshua Dysert series), and Ex Machina good?

I own a couple of volumes of some of these, but I never read them. I have heard that some of them has gotten very good reviews!
    DMZ starts good, but goes down hill about half away through the run. Don't even bother. Northlanders gets an average to okay reaction from people I've heard from. You may want to get the first volume cheap or check if your local library as a copy on hand. The Unwritten is a brilliant and great series, especially if you love novels and stories. Unknown Soldier... don't know much about. Ex Machina is okay. I've only read the first volume, but if its like the rest of the books I read from Brain K. Vaughn, it'll stay merely okay.

The best series in the last 6 years (only Milligan's Hellblazer rivals it). It's in my Vertigo top 10.
    Like others said, it actually gets better

As for others: Ex Machina isn't Vertigo (it's Wildstorm). It's my favorite series from BKV. If you like politics, you'll like it.
    Unknown Soldier is excellent. It might be in my top 10 Vertigo titles or pretty close. Too bad it got cancelled though its ending is one of the best endings out there.
    The Unwritten is pretty nice.
    If you like noir and vikings or just a good story, get Northlanders. However all arcs are different stories about different people except for two of them.
    InformationGeek doesn't know what he's talking about DMZ It's a great series. Some might say it wasn't that good in the middle but I thought it was consistent. Just like Ex Machina, it too involves policits. It's also in my Vertigo Top 10
    BB

Thanks InformationGeek and Billy Batson!!!

I do love Brian Vaughn so if it is around the same quality as Y: The Last Man, then I think I will like it.

I am actually interested in The Unwritten because, while I have heard much about titles like DMZ and Northlanders, I almost here no hype about it, yet it is supposed to be great. I have ordered the first 2 volumes of it so I am excited to see if I enjoy it! It sounds like something I will love.

How do you yall like Transmetroplitan? I have read the first volume and thought it was great! This was the first book I have read from Ellis and it has gotten me interested in him.

The Unwritten is worth the read.
    Love Transmet. Ellis' best work. In the terms of quality, it stays the same. It pays off at the end.
    Ellis' Planetary is also worth checking out.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    InformationGeek doesn't know what he's talking about DMZ It's a great series. Some might say it wasn't that good in the middle but I thought it was consistent. Just like Ex Machina, it too involves policits. It's also in my Vertigo Top 10 [/B][/I]
    I don't think DMZ is horrible I just feel it doesn't completely live up to the strong beginning. Overtime, I started caring less about the people and the stories started wane in quality for me. The ending left a lot to be desired and me just shaking me head. I think the first part of the series is very solid, but I just can't justify a 12 volume series that kept losing me overtime to someone else. But hey, if you liked it, you liked it. The series at least convinced me to look into other Brian Wood comics so there is that.

I'm half way through another re read of Transmetrolpolitan and it is as excellent as ever. There's been some discussion that it doesn't hold up well, but I think it does and actually gets better with each read.

I also think it's Ellis' best work, but most of his stuff is pretty good anyway.

The Unwritten and Unknown Soldier are vastly different, but, along with Scalped, they're my favorite Vertigo books from the past few years.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

i loved fist 4 trades scalped then fith trade wasnt that good slowed me down need to pick up rest of the trades i realy like sweettooth and i zombie

Unknown Solider is just quality on every level. I loved this series.

Northlanders is another all time favorite, I'm egularly blown away over how heavily research these stories are, the variety of different stories told and how Wood manages to make the period and the people feel so relatable. You'll know whether you want continue these series' or not after the first trade.I suspect you will.

Ex Machina was ok, thing is though I often find BKVs cutesy, supposedly witty dialogue cringe inducing and embarrassing to read, like an Aaron Sorkin script but nerdier and just lame. This also prevented me from finishing Y the Last Man. It's a very subjective issue though and they are otherwise excellent series as far as I can tell. DMZ I couldn't get into as I just dont like that style of realism in comics, bunch of urban hipsters toughing it out in a seceded NY, just no thanks