Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa Kent's Death

Default Pa Kent's Death

Okay, I'm hoping this goes better than my "Justice League Movie: What Would You Do?" thread(since no one has responded to it and over 150 people have seen it) so here's what I'm wondering.

Did Jonathan Kent ever die in the comics like what happened in Superman:The Movie?

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvengingJustice View Post
    Okay, I'm hoping this goes better than my "Justice League Movie: What Would You Do?" thread(since no one has responded to it and over 150 people have seen it) so here's what I'm wondering.

Did Jonathan Kent ever die in the comics like what happened in Superman:The Movie?
    From 1938 to the 1986, both Kent were dead (in the 50's, it has been explained they died because of a rare disease). Then, from 1986 to the 2000's, the Kent were alive and well even during Superman's adventures. Then, in the story "Brainiac" by Johns and Frank, Pa Kent has a heart attack and dies.
    And since the reboot of 2011, both parents died before Clark became Superman. How exactly hasn't been exactly stated, but what we've seen imply that at least Pa Kent had a "natural" death (disease, heart attack.....hard to tell).
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by AvengingJustice View Post

To put it simply:
    Yes and no. Action Comics#870 was one of the few comics(along with All Star Superman#6) that showed Jonathan dying of a heart attack. It's unknown how new 52 Jonathan and Martha Kent died(Justice League#11 Superman said he saw his dad dying of a heart attack while Action Comics#6 showed Jonathan dying with Clark by his bed telling him to use his abilities to help others(reminiscent of the way Golden/Silver Age Jonathan died)).

Golden Age Ma and Pa Kent usually die of old age. While silver/bronze age they die of a rare and fatal tropical disease they contracted from a pirate's treasure chest. So honestly it depends on the story.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

The rare fact of death is the 1 Kent died a no one survived the flood well not all of them he super heros defeated the baddie ninja with the flood
    Baddie 1:THE FLOOD! AHHHHHHHH Baddie 2:RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
    But Superman Died and her sister his mother and father and the citazins. it is so sad

In the Adventures of Superman TV show, they had Pa Kent kicking the bucket, but Ma Kent living on. This is the track that Superman the Movie, Smallville, and All-Star Superman followed. In the comic book origins between 1948 and 1985, Ma Kent is the first to give up the ghost, with Pa croaking shortly after as Clark stands by his bedside.

Pa Kent is also dead in Superman: Earth One but Ma is alive.
    I don't have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Stantheman23 View Post
    Pa Kent is also dead in Superman: Earth One but Ma is alive.
    Same goes for Superman Returns(follow up of Superman the movie and Superman 2: Richard Donner's cut), Legion of Superheroes the animated series(Martha was alive and well in first episode but Jonathan was no where to be seen and was only shown in a picture with him, Martha and a baby Clark in a Superman/Kryptonian baby blanket), Superman:Doomsday DTV. In fact after Superman Returns there seemed to be more and more depictions of either just Jonathan dead and Martha alive or both adopted parents are dead(I'm not complaining. In fact I'm more of a fan of these depictions than I am of the version where both parents are alive it's just interesting to me.)

Clark has mentioned something again about not being able to save his father, I forgot now which issue it was, but that line led me to believe he succumbed suddenly to a fatal heart attack like in other incarnations. His leaving Martha out of that statement leads me to believe her death was more gradual, like a long illness or something, something he came to terms with while she was still alive that he could do nothing about. Of course I could be reading too much into it and that line was no more than a Superman: The Movie homage, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Clark has mentioned something again about not being able to save his father, I forgot now which issue it was, but that line led me to believe he succumbed suddenly to a fatal heart attack like in other incarnations. His leaving Martha out of that statement leads me to believe her death was more gradual, like a long illness or something, something he came to terms with while she was still alive that he could do nothing about. Of course I could be reading too much into it and that line was no more than a Superman: The Movie homage, but we'll see.
    JL 10 or 11, can't remember exactly which of the two. I think Martha died first since dialogue from George Taylor and the farmer Fry seem to imply that since Taylor told "Johnny Clark" that he promised Jonathan to look after Clark and the farmer said that Clark moved to Metropolis after his pa died.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    JL 10 or 11, can't remember exactly which of the two. I think Martha died first since dialogue from George Taylor and the farmer Fry seem to imply that since Taylor told "Johnny Clark" that he promised Jonathan to look after Clark and the farmer said that Clark moved to Metropolis after his pa died.
    It was JL #11 where Superman said his dad died of a Heart Attack but Action Comics#6 showed a panel reminiscent of the golden/silver age scene where Pa Kent is dying with Clark by his bedside and Jonathan tells Clark to remember to use his powers for good and help humanity.

I liked the Johns Brainiac story overall, but I hated the idea of death from heart attack triggered BY MISSILE ATTACK. Way to take a quiet, powerful and moving thing and turn it into a Michael Bay movie. And even a young, healthy guy might suffer cardiac arrest if you start firing missiles right at him.

I also like the Brainiac story, but they were too quick to move from that to New Krypton, with the death of Jonathan Kent squeezed in the middle of that. I felt that the death of a major character deserved more attention and its own arc. They didn't get the dramatic capital they could have drawn out of that event.
    Last edited by An Ear In The Fireplace; 11-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I liked the Johns Brainiac story overall, but I hated the idea of death from heart attack triggered BY MISSILE ATTACK. Way to take a quiet, powerful and moving thing and turn it into a Michael Bay movie. And even a young, healthy guy might suffer cardiac arrest if you start firing missiles right at him.
    Jonathan already had a heart attack prior to that, as we saw in Superman #77, "Funeral For A Friend" part 8. He had recovered from it and was told to diet and exercise, which was established in Superman: The Man Of Steel #27. By the time of "The Death Of Clark Kent", Jonathan and Martha were capable of going on the move from Conduit's men. But there had been time between then and "Brainiac", so when it happened there, it would be fatal since Jonathan was older and had pushed himself hard to save Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Jonathan already had a heart attack prior to that, as we saw in Superman #77, "Funeral For A Friend" part 8. He had recovered from it and was told to diet and exercise, which was established in Superman: The Man Of Steel #27. By the time of "The Death Of Clark Kent", Jonathan and Martha were capable of going on the move from Conduit's men. But there had been time between then and "Brainiac", so when it happened there, it would be fatal since Jonathan was older and had pushed himself hard to save Martha.
    But that's what I mean. The death should be a quiet and powerful thing, not some SFX action extravaganza. The Donner movie handled a heart attack in a very emotionally real and moving way. The comic was like, "LOOK OUT -- MISSILES!!!!" For me, it drastically cheapened the moment. At the point they needed to be the most serious, I thought they instead chose to go super-cheesy.