Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XO Manowar #7 Discussion and SPOILERS

Another solid issue. This second arc has really taken off. We get the assembling of our "heroes" and a lot of background on the Vine (including our second glimpse of Avagis) and their "purpose." I use the "" because it isn't much of one. I have to believe there is more to the plantings than even they know, otherwise it seems like a lot of work for no benefit.

We also are yet to get an explanation for the time-lapse between Aric's abduction and return to Earth. I am assuming the Vine are extremely long lived (like plants) and that the colony ships travel at greater than light speed or in some kind of "space" outside of time. I suppose they could always flash back and show Aric in stasis at some point, too, but it doesn't seem likely from what we have seen thus far...
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Great issue, I love the texture that Venditti is bringing to the Vine.

The differences between the Soldiers, Priests, Plantings and Alexander are very interesting. I think they mirror a realistic society, just as we all don't think alike why should any another species be of one mind as is the comic book standard.

You have the Soldiers who see themselves as a dominant species and are total bastards who use others for target practice and seem driven to destroy no matter what.

Then you have the Priests with their whole belief system which may seem more altrustic but at the same time they also take slaves and work them to death in their gardens.

Then you have the Plantings who are on earth and are Vine and always have been Vine and they are listening to everything going on with Vine proper and doing their thing just because that's the thing they've always been doing.

Then you have Alexander who is like "wait a minute...I'm Vine and I know what the Vine are all about... but that kind of sucks, I'm much happier being human."

At first I didn't like the new Vine as much as the old Spider Aliens just bassed on grossness and detestability factor but now I like them more due to the depth that is being brought to them. I'm sure they will be a big part of the VU for a long time and some may end up being heroes (Spylocke with Rai ).

That said a lot them are still bastards and I'm sure there will be plenty for XO to Paff!

Also some great brutal and witty moments out of Ninjak, I think the panel where Ninjak was standing in the shadow (pg.21) was a shout out to the black out cover of Shadowman, I had to hold it up to the light to see it better but that's what it reminded me of.

Full marks for this issue
    Last edited by Hawkeyeps; 11-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Love that we get some humor in the interaction between Ninjak and Aric and Alexander. The Garbett pencils are only just tolerable to me, so i'm looking forward to Nord returning. This issue showed that Venditti is willing to put the action on the back-burner and get dense. XO has kind of fallen off as the other Valiant books get going, but that's mostly for their quality, not for XO's lacking.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

This issue was epic, I loved the ending where Ninjak and Aric were talking about stealth vs power and how Ninjak told Aric he better be ready, it was very well written and definitely set the stage for the next issue. Ninjak is my personal favorite character in all of Valiant right now, his fighting style, characteristics, look, feel, and overall awesomeness has really grown on me and I'm really excited to see how this invasion works out in issue #8 next month.

Alex is definitely a sly cat too, his plan has been awesome and I trust him in this skirmish against the Vine, his character has been growing on me for the past 2 issues as well and I look forward to see where his story goes in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Love that we get some humor in the interaction between Ninjak and Aric and Alexander. The Garbett pencils are only just tolerable to me, so i'm looking forward to Nord returning. This issue showed that Venditti is willing to put the action on the back-burner and get dense. XO has kind of fallen off as the other Valiant books get going, but that's mostly for their quality, not for XO's lacking.
    XO is not falling off so much as transitioning between arcs while other titles are reaching the climax of their arcs. I enjoyed the art in this issue. It's a minimalist style that feels a lot more detailed. He uses one line where others would use many, and it's pretty effective. There were many panels where subtle emotion in facial expressions was conveyed much more richly than in previous issues.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    XO is not falling off so much as transitioning between arcs while other titles are reaching the climax of their arcs. I enjoyed the art in this issue. It's a minimalist style that feels a lot more detailed. He uses one line where others would use many, and it's pretty effective. There were many panels where subtle emotion in facial expressions was conveyed much more richly than in previous issues.
    Fair point on the art. It definitely didn't hurt the issue. And yeah, it's probably just the transitioning of it all that makes this stand-out less than the amazing finale's on display in A&A and Bloodshot and Harbinger on the recent.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Great issue!
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Another great issue - I didnt care much for the first XO arc, but this one made up for it tenfold. I would take this artist and inker team over Nord actually - its just much stronger stuff. Nord may be a bigger name, but he is getting outclassed here. I hope they stick around and alternate arcs.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Another solid issue. This second arc has really taken off. We get the assembling of our "heroes" and a lot of background on the Vine (including our second glimpse of Avagis) and their "purpose." I use the "" because it isn't much of one. I have to believe there is more to the plantings than even they know, otherwise it seems like a lot of work for no benefit.

We also are yet to get an explanation for the time-lapse between Aric's abduction and return to Earth. I am assuming the Vine are extremely long lived (like plants) and that the colony ships travel at greater than light speed or in some kind of "space" outside of time. I suppose they could always flash back and show Aric in stasis at some point, too, but it doesn't seem likely from what we have seen thus far...
    I believe it has to do with them travelling at light speed or some such so that to them it only seems like moments pass, but in actuality centuries pass. It a theory put forth by Einstein I believe. I also think that's what happened in the first volume also as Shooter wanted to keep as much realistic sci fi rules as possible.
    I like swords.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    I believe it has to do with them travelling at light speed or some such so that to them it only seems like moments pass, but in actuality centuries pass. It a theory put forth by Einstein I believe. I also think that's what happened in the first volume also as Shooter wanted to keep as much realistic sci fi rules as possible.
    I am familiar with the concept, I just want to hear it in the book. That's kind of opposite to Shooters beliefs, which were don't treat the readers like idiots because they can figure it out without exposition explaining everything. But in this case the original had him in stasis (a similar thing happened in Harbinger when they were captured by Spider Aliens on the moon and they lost several weeks), so I would like a little clarification as it could become an important plot point at some time. Like what if Aric travels to the Vine home world in Planet Death and returns to Earth several centuries later again?
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Still my favorite Valiant book. Another great issue and im ready for a solo Ninjak book. Agree with the poster that likes the Vine characterization, I also prefer the Vine to the Spider Aliens.

I am familiar with the concept, I just want to hear it in the book. That's kind of opposite to Shooters beliefs, which were don't treat the readers like idiots because they can figure it out without exposition explaining everything. But in this case the original had him in stasis (a similar thing happened in Harbinger when they were captured by Spider Aliens on the moon and they lost several weeks), so I would like a little clarification as it could become an important plot point at some time. Like what if Aric travels to the Vine home world in Planet Death and returns to Earth several centuries later again?
    It says on the recap page of 7- "Arriving on Earth, Aric discovered that...due to time displacement...1,600 years had passed since he was captured".

It's likely the Vine haven't been back to Earth since 400 AD, like Alexander said they drop the plantings and just take off then they comunicate via their mind thingy. I would also think if the Vine is 1600 light years away (I'm not chiclo so don't know for sure) but I would assume they had some funky faster than light (possibly Boon related) method of travel or they wouldn't be able to invade the Earth for a long damn time.

I think it's possible the Boon and Shanhara are related in some way and this may tie in to the Akashic record and the Goldies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    It says on the recap page of 7- "Arriving on Earth, Aric discovered that...due to time displacement...1,600 years had passed since he was captured".

It's likely the Vine haven't been back to Earth since 400 AD, like Alexander said they drop the plantings and just take off then they comunicate via their mind thingy. I would also think if the Vine is 1600 light years away (I'm not chiclo so don't know for sure) but I would assume they had some funky faster than light (possibly Boon related) method of travel or they wouldn't be able to invade the Earth for a long damn time.

I think it's possible the Boon and Shanhara are related in some way and this may tie in to the Akashic record and the Goldies.
    The problem with those recap pages is I don't read them because I have read all the previous issues

I think when it comes to all the interlocking pieces, we may be seeng things that aren't necessarily there. While the Boon may be extraterrestrial in origin, it was said the Vine arrived on Earth in 400 AD for the first time...about 9,500 years after the Boon was activated by Ivar. Shanhara does not seem to be Vine in origin, and may be from the same place as the Boon, which I think could be a major plot at some point.

The Akashic record, on the other hand, is the collection of all human knowledge in the history of Earth. Wile I theorized Shanhara may be able to access it, and thus upload information to Aric as seen in issue 4, I am not sure how or if it relates to any of these other mysteries.

The origin of the Goldie's may be connected to said extraterrestrial race, but I think the bigger mystery is who the Goldies evolved in that first time (this seems to be happening for the second time inside Bloodshot). Was it the Bleeding Monk? Rai? Or someone different altogether?

The problem with those recap pages is I don't read them because I have read all the previous issues

I think when it comes to all the interlocking pieces, we may be seeng things that aren't necessarily there. While the Boon may be extraterrestrial in origin, it was said the Vine arrived on Earth in 400 AD for the first time...about 9,500 years after the Boon was activated by Ivar. Shanhara does not seem to be Vine in origin, and may be from the same place as the Boon, which I think could be a major plot at some point.

The Akashic record, on the other hand, is the collection of all human knowledge in the history of Earth. Wile I theorized Shanhara may be able to access it, and thus upload information to Aric as seen in issue 4, I am not sure how or if it relates to any of these other mysteries.

The origin of the Goldie's may be connected to said extraterrestrial race, but I think the bigger mystery is who the Goldies evolved in that first time (this seems to be happening for the second time inside Bloodshot). Was it the Bleeding Monk? Rai? Or someone different altogether?
    As I've posted here or on V fans before- What if the Vine are aware of the Boon and the Bleeding Monk is a planting with the mission of facilitating the development of the Goldies (he may have been the living subject in which the Goldies evolved) and is affiliated with Harada and interested by Pete with the goal of activating Psiots to add to the Akashic record. The goal being to develop the technology to access and utilize the Akashic record with the Boon power, the final result being Shanhara (which gets in to some weird time stuff but then again the Vine don't "live", they "exist" as Alexander said).

I can see everything tying in to everything then Erica Pierce shows up and kicks everybodys ass!

I figured that Sanhara downloaded the Planting's intelligence data into Aric's head when he needed the information, but I suppose it's possible he accessed the Akashic record. You'd think he'd pick up skills as well if that were the case, though. I do like the idea of the armor and the Boon being of the same origin, though. It gives both humanity and the Vine something from the same source that they've worshipped.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.