Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Harbinger #6 Discussion and SPOILERS

This issue was amazing. In one single story Dysart manages to give Kris more purpose, characterization and motivation than the entire original run. The whole book was brilliantly done. I'd say more but it wouldn't do it justice.

I am also a fan of Birones' art. It is stylistically similar to Khari Evans but much cleaner. While all of the fill in artists for this arc are excellent, having seen this issue I am a little disappointed Birones isn't able to finish it out. Hopefully he can/will return for a future arc or another VALIANT project at some point.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I have to agree, I think this was my favorite issue of the run so far, with last issue being my least favorite. The writing was excellent and I agree that Kris is a much better character than the original incarnation (who never really developed and in the end came off as rather whiny. The quality of the art also took a significant step forward this issue. Never really cared for Evans' squashed-up faces and in general that detracted from the first few issues otherwise outstanding quality.

I'm not entirely comfortable with Peter having a healing factor. Not sure what it is in his power set that makes that logical. But given the awkward way the writing boxed itself in last issue with the beating he took, they had to do something to get him back on his feet. I just wish they hadn't put themselves in that kind of a hole to begin with. Most of last issue really was unnecessary, and the consequences that this issue had to deal with from it was the weakest point of this story. Fortunately they took most of the focus off Pete himself, which helped a bit.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 11-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

The healing is sort of a holdover from the original. Basically the very powerful Omega level Harbingers could will their body to heal. Harada was obsessed with immortality and was able to extend his life well beyond the average through meditation and shear willpower (and later by transferring his consciousness). In VH1 Harbinger #0, Harada actually says Pete's unconscious mind wouldn't allow him to die. So in this case, even though Pete tells Kris he wants to die, he really wants to live and is unknowingly using his abilities to speed the healing process. I think of it like Iron-Fists ability to heal using his Chi as long as he is able to meditate.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Interesting sounds fine as long as we don't get to wolverine level. I am fine with it as long as stabbing through the heart or cutting of a head is still effective.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Interesting sounds fine as long as we don't get to wolverine level. I am fine with it as long as stabbing through the heart or cutting of a head is still effective.
    No, all that stuff was still deadly in VH1. Harada is eventually cleaved almost in half by Aric Dacia (but he's able to do that mind transfer thing as he is dying). Notice he was not bouncing right back, either. It still took time, just instead of weeks it takes him days to heal up.

Psiots with healing factors, could also explain why Harada is so old but still look like if he's in his 30's.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

For me this was the strongest issue of the new Harbinger, and probably the best of entire Valiant re-launch. Dysart is clearly much more comfortable writing 'normal' humans like Kris than the super-heroes we saw in the first arc. He also has a great voice for Faith but I hope she doesn't become too cliche. The more overtly political themes here also played to his strength as a writer. Hopefully we get more issues narrated by Kris, since she sounds more like Josh than the main character. Most of Briones' art was excellent but a few pages looked muddled or rushed. Guy is a huge talent but clearly very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Psiots with healing factors, could also explain why Harada is so old but still look like if he's in his 30's.
    Based on his image on TV that Kris was watching, I think he is projecting the younger look telepathically. It would still make sense for him to be in the shape he is in due to some mind over body control, but projecting the younger look to those around him seems more feasible than projecting an older appearance to millions of people watching him on TV.

Did this come out today? My LCS didn't have this on the shelf if so. Crap and I can't go till Friday!!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Based on his image on TV that Kris was watching, I think he is projecting the younger look telepathically. It would still make sense for him to be in the shape he is in due to some mind over body control, but projecting the younger look to those around him seems more feasible than projecting an older appearance to millions of people watching him on TV.
    Who knows he has Livewire who can control all machines so she might just make him look however while he just projects over the short range but I am pretty sure he is actually the young version because projecting in front of even his top followers all the time would be a waste of time. Heck simpler solutions are sticking a plant in front and telling them what to say.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

What a complex issue from Kris' POV. Unexpected and incredibly executed. Honestly, I felt the art was a bit lacking. I'm not sure why there was so much hate for Evans, but I found his style helped me identify the book somewhat, where Birones seems a more generic to my eye.

Loved this issue, though I didn't love the art. Kris has become a great character in a short space of time. She really owns the terrible things Peter has done to her and rises above being a victim and is really empowering. Not only that, but she's basically the leader of the Renegades! Which actually makes a lot of sense, given that she's the only ordinary human on the team and being the leader/strategist gives her something to do. That, and given that Peter was always meant to be gay, being just his girlfriend (which would be very creepy anyway given the mind rape in issue one) would be out of place. It was really cool how Peter struggled with Harada the whole first five issues, but Kris immediately got one over on him by being smart. So awesome. The Renegades is looki to be as awesome as Faith says it will be.

Great issue, great series, love it! VALIANT!!!
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

So wild theory time...Kris is likely to get knocked up at some point. It is also likely she ends up in a relationship with Pete and/or Torque. The whole love triangle, who's baby is it, was a big theme of the original series and I think it will be in this version eventually as well.

But what if Kris is already pregnant...with Joe's baby?

She seems awfully attached to Joe in a very short time, and his death at the hands of Harada seem like a prime motivator for her. What if they were "intimate" in their short time together? It would be an interesting twist.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    I'm not sure why there was so much hate for Evans, but I found his style helped me identify the book somewhat, where Birones seems a more generic to my eye.
    I found Evans' art to be distracting. Everyone's facial features were too small and everyone's mouth looked the same. Everything was just a little off on everyone, like an understated version of some stylized villain from Dick Tracy. I found Birones' art to be refreshing, like taking a deep breath of air after being in an enclosed space. Somehow Evans made me feel claustrophobic.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I found Evans' art to be distracting. Everyone's facial features were too small and everyone's mouth looked the same. Everything was just a little off on everyone, like an understated version of some stylized villain from Dick Tracy. I found Birones' art to be refreshing, like taking a deep breath of air after being in an enclosed space. Somehow Evans made me feel claustrophobic.
    I agree on the faces, but Evans was growing on me. One cool thing about the digital books is they all came with some pre inked and pre colored pages. I have to say, I think Evans was the victim of some heavy-handed inking and coloring. His scratchy style requires a thinner, lighter ink and softer coloring (in my non professional opinion). I also think the art improved as Dysart learned to write to Evans' artistic strengths.

That being said, it was still my least favorite art thus far and I preferred Birones. Issue 5 was also a complete disaster with fill-ins galor and multiple inkers, so the consistency here was definitely a breath of fresh air. I am really looking forward to seeing the other artists take on this arc as they are all superb.