Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Is it wrong that I thought "Thank God! It was Doc Ock who sold his marriage to the devil in OMD!" ;)

What an out. Great job, Dan. I knew Peter would never ever even consider that. It was Otto and wanting to get with sweet Aunt May again.
    Originally Posted by Dan_Slott

A quick "eyeball" suggests that you need to get a new eyeball

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio's Helmet View Post
    Is it wrong that I thought "Thank God! It was Doc Ock who sold his marriage to the devil in OMD!" ;)

What an out. Great job, Dan. I knew Peter would never ever even consider that. It was Otto and wanting to get with sweet Aunt May again.
    LOL! This also explains why Pete was willing to work with the Jackal when he found out he was a clone...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    LOL! This also explains why Pete was willing to work with the Jackal when he found out he was a clone...
    I think it goes a little further back than that. Only someone like Otto would just let a thief run right past him and get away.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I think it goes a little further back than that. Only someone like Otto would just let a thief run right past him and get away.
    Peter knew better than to stand so close the experiment, clearly the swap was moments before the spider bit him.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    Peter knew better than to stand so close the experiment, clearly the swap was moments before the spider bit him.
    I think it was before that... When he was a kid his probably cooked up this scheme with OCK, maybe they all worked together.

It'll be revealed when Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out, and it'll tie in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiodisc View Post
    While I can empathize with this statement. I have been reading Spider-man for too long (since 85) to miss out on what will be a vital piece of his history. My hope is that even if it is not Peter in the suit, that we can still follow Peters progress on his adventure to get his body back.
    That's exactly how i see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    That's exactly how i see it!
    Things not to Hide:

Surprise I used to be the opposite gender!
    Surprise I've got STDs! Here's money to get some meds.
    Surprise I'm the sociopathic geriatric Doctor Octopus who stole your husband's body to bang you and I banged your mother-in-law Aunt May too! MWAHAHAHAHA!

This is like date-rape
    If Doc Ock pulls this off I don't know how anyone can take Spider-Man seriously again.
    Just think about it.

Everytime his rogues gallery gets brought up... Doc Ock would always have some horrible joke about how he nailed MJ without her knowledge.

Peter Parker can't get cuckolded. And Mary Jane is an icon in her own right. I don't think female readers would like her getting psuedo-raped.

When a woman accepts someone into their body it should not a joke. And thats what MJ will become, and I think Spider-Man too imo.

Gwen Stacy: dies comes back and consentually has kids with Norman
    MJ: marriage omitted; then gets psuedo(?)-raped by Octavious

Is anything sacred? This is really dark messed up territory and I would smh if Slott doesnt have some surprise twist.

Peter will have to be renamed Cuckold-Man and Johnny Storm +Wolverine would tear up his Avengers Card. Dude would be super-loser imo. Could you imagine?
    What if the Penguin swapped brains and then slipped one to Catwoman?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Leave it to fans to take an old idea like body-swapping and immediately draw the worse possible outcome.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sleeping with MJ is not an issue with the character of Doc Ock, he always had more class than that. No I see an admiration forming for his enemy the more he learns of Peter's life the easier it will be to move on (not death a new vessel). Obviously something will go wrong that makes him forget the mind meld and he will escape to lick his wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Sleeping with MJ is not an issue with the character of Doc Ock, he always had more class than that. No I see an admiration forming for his enemy the more he learns of Peter's life the easier it will be to move on (not death a new vessel). Obviously something will go wrong that makes him forget the mind meld and he will escape to lick his wounds.

Having read Vonnegut's 'Mother Night', I do wonder about Slott going that direction with it. The moral of Mother Night is "We are what we pretend to be so we should be careful what we pretend to be." It makes me wonder how they're gonna play this out with Doc Ock, and how close it'll cleave to the line also drawn by comics like 'Thunderbolts' and, in some cases, Dark Avengers when it comes to the bad guy playing hero.

I stopped reading Spider-Man a year into the "Brand New Day" reboot. Here and there I would buy an issue, but I've pretty much shrugged off everything since the wretchedness of the "Spidey Makes A Deal With the Devil" storyline.

Doctor Octopus swaps mind and body with Peter Parker. Well, we've seen this movie before with Dr. Doom and Reed Richards, Dr. Doom and Daredevil, Red Skull and Captain America, Emma Frost and Storm, Thor and Loki, and on and on and on. The superhero Freaky Friday switcheroo is one of the oldest tropes in comics. Now killing off the hero in the villain's body does up the ante somewhat, but I don't know if it makes me care anymore about Spider-Man.

As long as the art remains as inconsistent or flat out ugly, I know I won't.
    Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.

~ Warren Ellis

This issue flipped the balance of the Spidey-World, and now Ock is officially Spider-Man's arch-foe
    Art in this issue is gorgeous, problem is after getting used to Ramos for so many issues I remember these panels drawn by Ramos
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

I see an admiration forming for his enemy the more he learns of Peter's life
    That's a nice possibility.

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    That's interesting: could it mean that Otto becomes more and more of a hero as he role-plays as Peter Parker and eventually decides that the world would be better-off with Peter rather than Otto-as-Peter? In that sense, does he "win" in the end by making the ultimate hero sacrifice and letting Peter back into his body -- in a manner vaguely similar to the way that Kid Loki beat Evil Loki by showing he could change?

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Indeed. I thought the same thing: that if Otto stays for any length of time in Peter's body that he shows an increasing,albeit grudging, respect for him. He already showed it this issue when he marvelled at how Pete developed the formula for his webbing at 15 years old.

But....I am not sure where the story would go from there unless Ock starts to become "a better man" as hinted at this issue in Pete's today. I am not sure how many stories we really get out of that and at what point we the readers care/actually root for Otto with Pete either dying in a decrepit body or out of the picture altogether..
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008