Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Comeback, #1

Ed Brisson and Michael Walsh team up to deliver yet another strong debut from Image Comics in the form of "Comeback" #1.

Full review here.

I'm looking forward to cracking this issue open after work. Ed Brisson will be at my LCS this Saturday signing books!

The solicitation didn't appeal to me too much, but I picked it up anyway. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest! Nicely done!
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

Ed Brisson was in my LCS when I went in today to pick up my comics. He seemed really nervous. I hope this works out for him. I like his Murder Books.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I enjoyed this, definitely going to stick with it.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Arse Face View Post
    Ed Brisson was in my LCS when I went in today to pick up my comics. He seemed really nervous. I hope this works out for him. I like his Murder Books.
    Oh yeah, I just found out he has a few dates around Vancouver...must be handy what with him living here and all, haha. Was there a big turnout?

I read the first ish, and I quite enjoyed it! We are still in the dark for the most part, but this book built up my intrigue and makes me want to read more. I wasn't a fan of the art as I initially flipped through it, but the writing suited the style and I felt immersed into the world. So the art grew on me easily. Good stuff!

And this is from a guy who isn't really into the time travel genre.

In a nut shell, I loved it, i'm on board for this one baby.

I enjoyed this too...but...what is going on in the last 3 pages? Confusing no? Gave it a positive review, at the link in my signature, and will continue to read for sure.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by mmehshow View Post
    Oh yeah, I just found out he has a few dates around Vancouver...must be handy what with him living here and all, haha. Was there a big turnout?
    I'm not sure if it was planned or if he was just there. There was no promotion of a signing that day. I live pretty close to RX Comics. I think he just agreed to sign all the copies they had for sale there.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I enjoyed this too...but...what is going on in the last 3 pages? Confusing no? Gave it a positive review, at the link in my signature, and will continue to read for sure.
    They went back in the past to try to save the old man again who exploded after the time travel at the beginning. They assigned someone to protect him like they were talking about in the office with the old man which I don't remember the name because time travel is not an option for him because of his medical condition. What's confusing you exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    They went back in the past to try to save the old man again who exploded after the time travel at the beginning. They assigned someone to protect him like they were talking about in the office with the old man which I don't remember the name because time travel is not an option for him because of his medical condition. What's confusing you exactly ?
    It'll all make sense in upcoming issues ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Arse Face View Post
    I'm not sure if it was planned or if he was just there. There was no promotion of a signing that day. I live pretty close to RX Comics. I think he just agreed to sign all the copies they had for sale there.
    Rx had a couple of posters, but there wasn't a ton of promotion. Basically, just there to sign copies if people wanted. It's where I buy all my comics, so I'm generally in there every Wednesday anyway.

Comeback #1

This was a very cool first issue, and I bought the comics because of the advertising text from Image Comics, which implied a solid plot. I am not familiar with previous work of Ed Brisson, Michael Walsh and Jordie Bellaire, so I had to go with instinct. Shadowline Comics brings out a large number of quality comics these days, and I will most certainly explore more of the titles from this small independent comic book company.

And I am glad I did. This is a very fine comic book, and I really enjoyed the plot and the rhythm of the story was well balanced. The story telling leaves a lot of open ends to follow, and I am very optimistic about the entertainment value of this title. One could ask for a wider perspective in the characters, but I guess we are to go deeper into the psychology of the main characters later on.

Michael Walsh has a Michael Lark kind of feeling to his work and I like that. It gives the story an art noir and pulp-ish atmosphere and it suits the story. Walsh doesn’t spend his time on unnecessary details, and he gets the job done. It is not world class comic book drawings but he is assisted by Jordie Bellaire, who’s doing a great job with the color brushes. The coloring is very modern and fits the rhythm of the story very well. Sometimes less is more and that’s why the finished artwork of this comic is very good.

I will highly recommend this comic,

Quote Originally Posted by edbrisson View Post
    Rx had a couple of posters, but there wasn't a ton of promotion. Basically, just there to sign copies if people wanted. It's where I buy all my comics, so I'm generally in there every Wednesday anyway.
    Great work on the first issue! I can't wait to see how the story unfolds. I have a question, but I'll save it for Taz comics on the weekend! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mmehshow View Post
    Great work on the first issue! I can't wait to see how the story unfolds. I have a question, but I'll save it for Taz comics on the weekend! Cheers!
    Thanks a lot.

I'll be happy to answer any questions at Taz. Look forward to seeing you there!