Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Default So, what's everyone's opinion on Dynamite "The Shadow"?

Well, it's been a while now and the first arc is out of the way with the second arc now in full swing and I was just wondering what everyone here thinks about The Shadow so far? Personally, I'm really enjoying it and aside from an issue or two I've found the story and the action to be fairly well balanced with characters that I've grown to really enjoy reading. Overall I wouldn't say that it's the best comic on store shelves and I actually prefer a few other Dynamite titles to this one but all in all I'd say that The Shadow has been a pretty spectacular read and I would recommend it to someone who may be growing tired of spandex clad superheroes.

Opinions? Comments? Concerns? Let's hear 'em!

For my money, it's consistently the very best comic book out there. I haven't seen an especially weak issue. Or even an average issue.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

I thought it started off with a bang, but the first arc really dragged, especially near the end. I felt it was about two issues too long, and the end of #6 was incredibly forced and contrived.

However, #7 was a great standalone issue, and I really enjoyed #8. Those two issues alone were, I thought, better than all of the first arc, so I have high hopes that this second arc will be much better.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I'm not thrilled that so many seem to know Lamont Cranston is the Shadow [once upon a time, Lamont was NOT the Shadow, but merely a useful 'cover' for whomever the Shadow really was]; and miss the Shadow's use of his 'agents'; miss complex twists of plot: but other than this-- am very much enjoying the dynamite run. Would like to see more 'local' settings, ie., less international hotspots, more crime and criminals at home. Very much a fan of Kaluta and Robbins DC Shadow work, and, of course, the OTR Shadow, far more than the books which to me are now very dated, even stiff. Still think adaptations of the radio plays would make for excellent comics.....
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I look forward to The Shadow monthly.

I really like how this series (#7 and annual notwithstanding) puts Cranston in these volatile political moments. I'm not too familiar with the character's history, so I'm not sure if this is the norm - I'd been expecting period noir crimefighting - but its not something I'm reading from the other titles I'm pulling and I really appreciate it.

Really enjoying it. I've been enjoying all of the Dynamite 'pulp' books but this one currently stands out as a favorite.
    www.grayhavencomics.com

'For creators, by creators'

BANNED

Definitely one of the books I most look forward to each month (The Spider is another).

BANNED

The first arc kinda dragged for me. I stopped reading it after #5. It did inspire me to go out and track down The Shadow Strikes from DC. I've only had time to read a few issues so far, but i do like that series more.

Just picked up issues #7 and 8 at a comic book shop today (along with The Spider #2 and Masks #1) . . . may still get the tpb that collects the first arc.

About The Shadow Strikes . . . that really was a great series. The series DC had back in the mid-1970's also had some good stuff.

Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm loving the start to the new arc in The Shadow, the new writer is doing great so far and the issue that had Herbert sub for Campbell was damn fun. I have high hopes for this series and the whole pulp noir universe as a whole, I would even like to see more classic pulp characters revisited in the near future.

Read The Shadow #7, and I was a little annoyed at it.

Cranston sounded a little too modern for me . . . also seemed not quite as confidant as I would always expect him to be.
    (Maybe it would be better if he wasn't narrating a story himself?)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Read The Shadow #7, and I was a little annoyed at it.

Cranston sounded a little too modern for me . . . also seemed not quite as confidant as I would always expect him to be.
    (Maybe it would be better if he wasn't narrating a story himself?)
    Well, its the typical style of "needing" to make the hero vulnerable, so they've show issues with his 'psychic powers' in the recent couple of issues. (which is nonsense, as he doesn't have psychic powers in the pulps.)

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Well, its the typical style of "needing" to make the hero vulnerable, so they've show issues with his 'psychic powers' in the recent couple of issues. (which is nonsense, as he doesn't have psychic powers in the pulps.)
    I'm not sure if his ability to "cloud men's mind" is considered a psychic power or not, but he does have powers in this series that are new. Garth Ennis talked about introducing new abilities back when #1 came out.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I'm not sure if his ability to "cloud men's mind" is considered a psychic power or not, but he does have powers in this series that are new. Garth Ennis talked about introducing new abilities back when #1 came out.
    yeah, that's considered by most to be a psychic power.

He had no such thing in the pulps. That stuff was added to the radio version. Ennis has that, plus the nonsense of being able to see into a person's soul and see their future.

So what if it wasn't in the pulps, this isn't the pulps.....this is Dynamite Comics in 2012. Things change, characters change, creators change, and readers change, in my opinion change isn't always a bad thing and you seem to be the only one whining about it.