View Poll Results: Which Story Is Better as a Whole?

Voters
62. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Dark Knight Returns

25 40.32%
  • Kingdom Come

37 59.68%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

That's why I said people misunderstand the whole point of the book and only see the surface. Kurosawa missed the whole point of the fight and refuses to accept the truth.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Yes, Snyder's love of DKR makes me not trust him in directing a Superman movie. That and his movies are pretty shallow and I doubt he's capable of understanding what Superman is all about.

And yes, anyone who defends DKR doesn't get Superman or they wouldn't defend it.
    Ah, the "true fan" argument.

It never fails to, well, fail to convince me of anything.

Okay, let's get this out of the way.

"The most questionable thing I did was make Superman a government agent. If this had been a Superman story, I'd never have done that - and I know that, because I have a Superman story I want to tell someday. In this story, Batman was the hero, so the world was built around him."

--Frank Miller interview, Wizard Magazine #64, December 1996.

That doesn't mean that Miller hated Superman. In fact, he once wore Superman pajamas under his clothes to school, for a time. Not to mention that he wrote "Superman: The Secret Years" before he did "The Dark Knight Returns". So when he wrote this, he didn't hate Superman.
    Last edited by Mat001; 12-01-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Okay, let's get this out of the way.

"The most questionable thing I did was make Superman a government agent. If this had been a Superman story, I'd never have done that - and I know that, because I have a Superman story I want to tell someday. In this story, Batman was the hero, so the world was built around him."

--Frank Miller interview, Wizard Magazine #64, December 1996.

That doesn't mean that Miller hated Superman. In fact, he once wore Superman pajamas under his clothes to school, for a time. Not to mention that he wrote "Superman: The Secret Years" before he did "The Dark Knight Returns". So when he wrote this, he didn't hate Superman.
    I have you on ignore but I noticed and have to correct you here: he did not write Superman: The Secret Years, he only did covers for it. Bob Rozakis wrote the series.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    He didn't even lose. He got hit a few times, after being hit by an ICBM and then... Batman had a heart attack.

You don't win a fight by having a heart attack. At best, you accept your TKO like a man.

I care less about Superman losing the physical fight and more about how the series present Superman as losing the ethical fight. Superman has lost his share of fights, but he does not and should not lose many ethical disputes. One can debate who is right and wrong in their dispute in DKR, but the book sympathizes with Batman and portrays Superman as a complete sell-out and literally as a pet to Reagan.

I see most Miller defenders don't address how he portrayed Dick Grayson, which is amusing but I'm sure they can come up with some convoluted bs if needed.

I care less about Superman losing the physical fight and more about how the series present Superman as losing the ethical fight. Superman has lost his share of fights, but he does not and should not lose many ethical disputes. One can debate who is right and wrong in their dispute in DKR, but the book sympathizes with Batman and portrays Superman as a complete sell-out and literally as a pet to Reagan.

I see most Miller defenders don't address how he portrayed Dick Grayson, which is amusing but I'm sure they can come up with some convoluted bs if needed.
    It's not a Dick Grayson thread, is it?

I was going to address the fact Superman doesn't even lose the ideological battle, since his position is trying to make peace between everyone and in the end, with Bruce going underground, got just what he'd been asking of him before their fight anyway. But, you know, that's just me BSing or whatever.

I was going to address the fact Superman doesn't even lose the ideological battle, since his position is trying to make peace between everyone and in the end, with Bruce going underground, got just what he'd been asking of him before their fight anyway. But, you know, that's just me BSing or whatever.
    His position is placating the government when it should be standing up for truth and justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    His position is placating the government when it should be standing up for truth and justice.
    Maybe making peace between everyone as best he can is how he sees standing up for truth and justice?

As opposed to getting a gang of violent thugs together on horseback to "justice" a city nobody asked him to?

Regardless, he does win, in the end, in that he gets what he asked of Bruce in the first place. It's Bruce who changes his MO there, not Superman. Superman wasn't playing the government's game or Bruce's, he was in the middle, but he was still his own man. And he gets what he wanted by the end.

BANNED

ASBAR #9 was Dick Grayson's finest hour.

Pretty much, yes it is. Too bad you don't respect Siegel and Shuster and their creation like you do Frank Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    That piece of crap is one of the most disgusting comics ever printed and is a pure insult to John Broome and Gil Kane.

Pretty much, yes it is. Too bad you don't respect Siegel and Shuster and their creation like you do Frank Miller.

That piece of crap is one of the most disgusting comics ever printed and is a pure insult to John Broome and Gil Kane.
    You're just all kinds of presumptuous, ain't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    By no possible standard is that the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    Which do you prefer? I want to know whether Kingdom Come is more than the Superman version of it.
    Kingdom Come. Better story; better art; and definitely a better grasp of who Superman is.

You're just all kinds of presumptuous, ain't you?
    So much he got permabanned from another forum.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    So much he got permabanned from another forum.
    Yes, apparently being honest is that terrible a thing.

Long story, but the guy who did it pretty much baited me by blasting Hawkman every chance he got. I was stupid to fall for it.
    Last edited by Kurosawa; 12-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.