Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Thee weren't then and they aren't now.
    I dunno'...Beil can draw me just about anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Shia was so excited he was like...fuck looking at the script ..its an Indiana Jones movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana..._Crystal_Skull
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    If I were an actor, and got an offer to do a film and it was a Steven Spielberg film... I would say yes automatically and just show up and say "What do I do Mr. Spielberg?"
    Yeah: Indy movie, getting to work with Spielberg, Ford, Allen, Lucas et al...I can't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Huge Jackman
    *snicker*
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I dunno'...Beil can draw me just about anywhere...

Yeah: Indy movie, getting to work with Spielberg, Ford, Allen, Lucas et al...I can't blame him.

*snicker*

I don't know, if I was an actor getting work in good movies, I could kind of care less about doing a Spielberg and Lucas movie in 2008. Sure being in an Indiana Jones movie seems cool, but who the hell wants to be in the shitty one?

Remembering Clooney's ripping on it , it happened about close to a year after the movie. In that time frame. Like I posted if the negative critical reaction wasn't enough , Warners has the star of Batman claim he wouldn't come back.

A.) Hugo Weaving... star of the Matrix films and V for Vendetta....that isn't a star ? Really ?

B.) Your kinda basically skipping a lot of shit there with Dougray Scott and Mission Impossible II. Scott was filming MII when they stopped and he took the Wolverine role. They called him back and said...hey more filming needs to be done ! So yes he had to drop it. Because he needed to finish the movie he was on. Its not like he was forced into doing MII . Because he was doing it and they called him back for more filming.

C) Scheduling conflict which is why Dallas isn't playing Fandral in #2 either. Its like the Dougray Scott situation , these guys are busy working on projects already. The 1st year Levi was filming Chuck. This year Dallas is doing "Once Upon a Time". Its less about being forced and more...its a TV series and its gotten thier time right now.

In any case , yes a contract is a contract. But given that stars are in a business to make $$$ for the studios and they will , its best to stay on the good side . Because bad PR can hurt a film worse than anything. Its why the Edward Norton news may have affected the bottom line of the Hulk revamp. Because not only did it come out he argued with the studio , he refused to promote the film after it.
    Biggest reason D. Scott could not do Wolverine was he got injured filming MI 2.

Seeing all these guys missing on big roles makes me think of Russel Crowe passing on Wolverine and Argagorn. He's a big star but can you imagine if he had done both roles on these Epic movies? Drawings of the character of Aragorn before filming started even looked like Crowe.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Biggest reason D. Scott could not do Wolverine was he got injured filming MI 2.

Seeing all these guys missing on big roles makes me think of Russel Crowe passing on Wolverine and Argagorn. He's a big star but can you imagine if he had done both roles on these Epic movies? Drawings of the character of Aragorn before filming started even looked like Crowe.
    I'm thinking he wouldn't be as big as he is, (or was) because he likely wouldn't have been in Gladiator. He also likely wouldn't be in almost every movie Ridley Scott's made since Gladiator if he hadn't worked with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I'm thinking he wouldn't be as big as he is, (or was) because he likely wouldn't have been in Gladiator. He also likely wouldn't be in almost every movie Ridley Scott's made since Gladiator if he hadn't worked with him.
    Maybe he could have won an oscar for LOTR maybe? Who knows. But I think his colaboration with Scott was not one of great success outside of Gladiator. The best would have been for him to luck out of doing the three movies, Gladiator, X-Men and LOTR. Nothing wrong with Jackman and Viggo but Crowe would have taken these roles, turn them sideways and throw them into the stratosphere. Crowe as Logan? foggetaboutit I can almost feel the testosterone coming out of his hands in the form of claws.

Disappearing Acts - Bomb
    That's not possible. It was done for HBO. There was no box office release.

Elder Member

Remembering Clooney's ripping on it , it happened about close to a year after the movie. In that time frame. Like I posted if the negative critical reaction wasn't enough , Warners has the star of Batman claim he wouldn't come back.

A.) Hugo Weaving... star of the Matrix films and V for Vendetta....that isn't a star ? Really ?
    Yes, really. First of all, Weaving was not the star of the Matrix movies, Keanu Reeves was. Second, being a lead actor in a fim does not automatically make one a "star." Third, the kind of star power that makes studios tremble comes from actors who draw people into theaters based on their name on the marquee. At any given time in Hollywood there are a very few select actors who can do that and Hugo Weaving has never been one of them. Hell, I bet half the people who saw him in those movies (A) wouldn't recognize the name "Hugo Weaving" if you asked them who he was and (B) couldn't tell you his name if you showed them a picture of him (even though they could probably name the movies they saw him in).

B.) Your kinda basically skipping a lot of shit there with Dougray Scott and Mission Impossible II. Scott was filming MII when they stopped and he took the Wolverine role. They called him back and said...hey more filming needs to be done ! So yes he had to drop it. Because he needed to finish the movie he was on. Its not like he was forced into doing MII . Because he was doing it and they called him back for more filming.
    And the reason he had to finish it was because he had a previous contractual obligation to MI II, which is exactly my point. Contracts will be enforced by the studios.

C) Scheduling conflict which is why Dallas isn't playing Fandral in #2 either. Its like the Dougray Scott situation , these guys are busy working on projects already. The 1st year Levi was filming Chuck. This year Dallas is doing "Once Upon a Time". Its less about being forced and more...its a TV series and its gotten thier time right now.
    I never said anything about anyone being "forced" to do anything. That's your spin on it. My point is that when an actor has an existing contractual obligation to a studio, he cannot just walk away from it to pursue a better opportunity or because he no longer wants to do it. All of the examples I've mentioned fall under that umbrella.

In any case , yes a contract is a contract. But given that stars are in a business to make $$$ for the studios and they will , its best to stay on the good side . Because bad PR can hurt a film worse than anything. Its why the Edward Norton news may have affected the bottom line of the Hulk revamp. Because not only did it come out he argued with the studio , he refused to promote the film after it.
    That's a nice piece of spin, but little to none of it is really accurate. The one part that is is that actors make money for studios, and it's exactly for that reason that studios will enforce their contractual agreements with actors. Because the only way studios can make money off an actor is if that actor actually appears in their movies. ANd contracts exist to ensure that their agreements to do so are fulfilled.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-28-2012 at 12:03 PM.

ah ha aparantly Bruce Willis is the same way. Kevin Smith said on Cop Out Bruce would rip out whole script pages and kept saying "I won't do that".
    And given the pile of shit that Cop Out was, Willis didn't rip out enough pages. Or have a competent director.

Maybe he could have won an oscar for LOTR maybe? Who knows. But I think his colaboration with Scott was not one of great success outside of Gladiator. The best would have been for him to luck out of doing the three movies, Gladiator, X-Men and LOTR. Nothing wrong with Jackman and Viggo but Crowe would have taken these roles, turn them sideways and throw them into the stratosphere. Crowe as Logan? foggetaboutit I can almost feel the testosterone coming out of his hands in the form of claws.

I doubt it, no one in those movies ever got nominated for a Oscar. The Lord of the Rings movies didn't even really make anyone famous...other than
    Peter Jackson.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

I doubt it, no one in those movies ever got nominated for a Oscar. The Lord of the Rings movies didn't even really make anyone famous...other than
    Peter Jackson.
    Is this sarcasm??? Ian McKellan was nominated for an Oscar for the Lord of the Rings (and TWO Bafta's); it made stars of Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortenson; created the career of Andy Serkis, and gave a good boost to the careers of Ian McKellan, Howard Shore, Sean Astin and Dominic Monaghan.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Is this sarcasm??? Ian McKellan was nominated for an Oscar for the Lord of the Rings (and TWO Bafta's); it made stars of Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortenson; created the career of Andy Serkis, and gave a good boost to the careers of Ian McKellan, Howard Shore, Sean Astin and Dominic Monaghan.
    i would like to add SEAN BEAN and Karl Urban to that list.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    No, it isn't sarcasm...but I forgot Mckellan was nominated for best supporting actor; I knew he had been nominated for something, but I couldn't remember what. Yeah, you're right about Orlando Bloom, I've forgotten about him; he did go on to be in some big stuff post-LotR...although you could probably say Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (were he had a bigger role) is what really made him a star. I mean, Russel Crowe was known before Gladiator because of L.A. Confidential, but he didn't become a huge star until Gladiator. Lord of the Rings didn't make Viggo Mortenson a star, at least not a big star, and his Cronenberg stuff seemed to have done more for him than LotR did.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Yes, really. First of all, Weaving was not the star of the Matrix movies, Keanu Reeves was. Second, being a lead actor in a fim does not automatically make one a "star." Third, the kind of star power that makes studios tremble comes from actors who draw people into theaters based on their name on the marquee. At any given time in Hollywood there are a very few select actors who can do that and Hugo Weaving has never been one of them. Hell, I bet half the people who saw him in those movies (A) wouldn't recognize the name "Hugo Weaving" if you asked them who he was and (B) couldn't tell you his name if you showed them a picture of him (even though they could probably name the movies they saw him in).
    I'm pretty sure your wrong. Because ...why would Marvel hire him for a key villain role of the Red Skull ? I mean honestly...you should put your personal belief he's not a star. But a man who has been in some of the biggest films of the past decade...not a star ? That is absolute silliness. Why does he keep getting movie roles ? He's a much a star as Ian McKellen right now.

And the reason he had to finish it was because he had a previous contractual obligation to MI II, which is exactly my point. Contracts will be enforced by the studios.
    The fact that he was actually still filming it. They called him back to do more filming and as Frank posted hot injured during it. He took the role believing he could go right to it. Both factors resulted in him not doing Wolverine.

I never said anything about anyone being "forced" to do anything. That's your spin on it. My point is that when an actor has an existing contractual obligation to a studio, he cannot just walk away from it to pursue a better opportunity or because he no longer wants to do it. All of the examples I've mentioned fall under that umbrella.
    Except your instances haven't actually been instances. Scott was filming MII , the other 2 guys are currently on TV series filming. Its not like they are sitting at home and deciding , well I don;t wanna do it. They are both busy filming. TV series work is a lot more busy.

That's a nice piece of spin, but little to none of it is really accurate. The one part that is is that actors make money for studios, and it's exactly for that reason that studios will enforce their contractual agreements with actors. Because the only way studios can make money off an actor is if that actor actually appears in their movies. ANd contracts exist to ensure that their agreements to do so are fulfilled.
    Its not a spin , studios aren't gonna alienate the stars . They will work out deals and know eventually those same stars will need to do something else.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

No, it isn't sarcasm...but I forgot Mckellan was nominated for best supporting actor; I knew he had been nominated for something, but I couldn't remember what. Yeah, you're right about Orlando Bloom, I've forgotten about him; he did go on to be in some big stuff post-LotR...although you could probably say Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (were he had a bigger role) is what really made him a star. I mean, Russel Crowe was known before Gladiator because of L.A. Confidential, but he didn't become a huge star until Gladiator. Lord of the Rings didn't make Viggo Mortenson a star, at least not a big star, and his Cronenberg stuff seemed to have done more for him than LotR did.
    I agree with you that guys became known after LOTR but not huge mega star like it happened for Crowe after Gladiator. For him to become a mega star Crowe would have had to assert himself and ask for script changes from LOTR to make Aragorn more important and have those type of big heroic money shots. Like have Aragorn be the eyes of the people instead of Frodo. Or have him Aragorn fight the dragon in a kamikaze manner instead of Gandalf. Aparantly Crowe was ripping pages off the script on the set of Gladiator on a daily basis and the writer was almost going mad by it. Crowe kept sending back the script saying "not good enough" and the guy kept going back. Until Russel felt it was good enough. The guy was responsible for his own success in many ways.

Also, love how this turns into a lets bash Wesley Snipes thread. Like if he's the only asshole on set in Hollywood. Lets talk about Christian Bale, Bruce Willis, Val Kilmer and Russell Crowe all people who've been nightmares for directors to work with in the past. Maybe i can find that link with Kevin Smith talking about Copout with Bruce Willis...

The man has one bad trip on the set of his own movie which he gets phased out from and all of a sudden he's the worst human being on the planet. Bruce Willis is one of my fave actors but I'd never hold his actions on the set of Copout against him. Imagine that.