Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Justice League #14 Discussion (SPOILERS)

So, I'm not gonna say very much. The story was meh.
    One thing that I want to point out: Priscilla Rich, Deborah Domaine and Sabrina Ballesteros (Nice name, Sebastian) were fake IDs that Barbara used around the world.
    Yep.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

...lol. That's incredibly cheesy, but at least it allows for all Cheetahs to technically be merged into one. Priscilla Rich is a nicer name, though -- and far more believable than "Barbara Minerva."
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

What a waste. We're told (but no effort is made to show) she was Diana's first friend (because she's never met her traditional first friend who's busy making coffee for Steve), then we're told (but not shown) she was never her friend, just to give Diana a reason to angst and fall into Superman's arms again.

Meanwhile Cheetah plays second fiddle to setup some godslayer villain for whatever the next big event is.

I read it -- I liked it much more than the last issue. I like that Barbara is the evil one, not the Cheetah. And I like that she was using a false identity to get close to Diana. I was really worried they were going to go the "sympathetic best friend" route. And I like the way they merged the names together (as opposed to when I first heard they were doing that). In a way, we might never know her real name. Or maybe she really is Priscilla and changed her name after her first few arrests, which would make me so happeh. I'm excited to see more of her in the future.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Gone

That DOES make Cheetah seem quite industrious.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

I liked it a lot. Far more than I was expecting.

I like the changes and characterization of the Cheetah and thought that the scenes between Clark and Diana were well done (especially for Johns).
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Only flipped through it briefly. I didn't like the cheesecake art at all, mainly because the rest of the art is so nice that to mar it with excessive objectification is unnecessary. I also am beginning to feel even more troubled about Diana's characterization. She got Steve fired because she felt he was in danger being so close to her, so for her to remain consistent she'd react the same way with other people she cares about getting hurt. When Diana observes her teammates, including Superman who becomes the damsel in distress in this issue, attacked there's no sense that she sees the contradiction. Similarly, if the problem with Steve was there was too much attention paid to the relationship he and Diana had in the press, then Superman and Wonder Woman going public with their stop in Smallville begs the question about what will happen if or when the public devours their relationship. If there's enough public scrutiny or a supervillain targets one of them, will Superman and Wonder Woman fall on their own swords and leave the League for its sake?

It's also a little worrying to me that Diana is being singled out as in need of inspiration. With Superman so far, it feels too much like he's having to teach her or remind her of things that she should already know. So she's not only excessively objectified in the art, her only storylines in this book so far revolve around her romantic relationships aside from her relationship with Barbara. Why do the only humans she's chosen to let into her life have to be either revealed as villains or tossed away as too fragile? In the last issue, Cheetah sets up two ways to view humanity: they're "sheep to shepherd" or to be slaughtered. I hate that there is no third way being articulated, because right now it feels like the superheroes do treat humanity like sheep and they the benevolent shepherds, which is horribly paternalistic.

BANNED

I heard Batman is spying on Superman and Wonder Woman, if so

What?...
    Johns doesn't get Batman so much it my left eyeball hurts.

The cat and the fish! Nice strategy. Wonder Woman would relate well to Smallville. Amazons also live a simple life, well except for a god or two mucking things up every now and then. But they're both rural, hard working people in a way.

It's also nice to see how Superman and Wonder Woman help to preserve each other's good nature. They look too serious all the time though. Would like to see a more casual scene.
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
    The cat and the fish! Nice strategy. Wonder Woman would relate well to Smallville. Amazons also live a simple life, well except for a god or two mucking things up every now and then. But they're both rural, hard working people in a way.
    I don't see any similarities between the two places or ways of life and, if they are so similar, why would Diana need Clark to remind her of the goodness and wholesomeness of home (which I also hate, by the way, because it's a simplistic stereotype of small towns; there's darkness everywhere)?

It's also nice to see how Superman and Wonder Woman help to preserve each other's good nature. They look too serious all the time though. Would like to see a more casual scene.
    Except, as far as I can tell, it's not been about Superman and Wonder Woman helping each other. It's only been Superman helping Wonder Woman, and that I don't like at the moment.

Daniel's art. Super. The superman/wonder woman scenes are the best. Diana has no family, no roots out in the outside world...she's had losses. What's wrong in someone who has had both telling her it's good even with loss? Oh yeah, misslane does see her conspiracy theories to destroy WW a character she does not quite care for and who she termed a "partonizing selfish coward", and bitchy doesn' she?

And Superman in this book clearly has embraced his feelings for Diana. She has for Clark. It's good job by Johns so far.

Batman. Hmmm, I am hoping Batman is just being a friend who a little concerned, and not paranoid as of old. But the spying Bruce....tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by kylesgirl View Post
    Daniel's art. Super. The superman/wonder woman scenes are the best. Diana has no family, no roots out in the outside world...she's had losses. What's wrong in someone who has had both telling her it's good even with loss? Oh yeah, misslane does see her conspiracy theories to destroy WW a character she does not quite care for and who she termed a "partonizing selfish coward", and bitchy doesn' she?
    My issue with it is precisely because they've both had losses. Since they've both experienced it, why is that Superman is written as having the more healthy perspective that he therefore must bestow on what seems to be the perpetually emotionally broken Wonder Woman? Plus, that wasn't what their conversation was about. Superman was telling Diana about having a life outside Watchtower and not to give up on her idealism just because there's evil and corruption in the world. They made Diana appear naive and mistrustful of her own instincts just so Superman could reassure her. I'd feel more comfortable with it if it was more of a give and take. It's getting repetitive. Three issues in a row, Superman swoops in when Diana's having a down moment (usually at the end of an issue and in the last two issues similar artistic composition) and he guides her to a better outlook. It's one note and one sided.

Oh, and please don't put words in my mouth. I've said Diana's not my favorite character; that doesn't mean I don't care about her. And nothing in this issue changes my opinion about her paternalistic, cowardly, and selfish behavior in previous issues. If anything, it worsens it because now Diana has the potential to look like a hypocrite given her JL buddies just got hurt because of her yet she's not asking them to leave the League or exiling herself like she did to Steve just because she worried about him.
    Last edited by misslane38; 11-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Nice issue. Supes and Wonder Woman really complete each other. She needs him as much as he needs her

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    My issue with it is precisely because they've both had losses. Since they've both experienced it, why is that Superman is written as having the more healthy perspective that he therefore must bestow on what seems to be the perpetually emotionally broken Wonder Woman? Plus, that wasn't what their conversation was about. Superman was telling Diana about having a life outside Watchtower and not to give up on her idealism just because there's evil and corruption in the world. They made Diana appear naive and mistrustful of her own instincts just so Superman could reassure her. I'd feel more comfortable with it if it was more of a give and take. It's getting repetitive. Three issues in a row, Superman swoops in when Diana's having a down moment (usually at the end of an issue and in the last two issues similar artistic composition) and he guides her to a better outlook. It's one note and one sided.
    Eh,whatever. Save yourself some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Nice issue. Supes and Wonder Woman really complete each other. She needs him as much as he needs her
    How does Superman need Wonder Woman? There has been minimal to no effort put in to show that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kylesgirl View Post
    Eh,whatever. Save yourself some money.
    Like I said, I flipped through it at my LCS so DC's not getting my money already. Seems like sales indicate more people are doing the same considering JL sales are down despite the "Ultimate Power Couple" getting together.