Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    because then we had Bucky Barnes, a failure, who we could relate too.

I would rather aspire to an ideal that I may never achieve than relate to a failure. This is exactly why Captain America is my favorite character; he represents the American ideal, the type of person we should aspire to be - someone who does the right thing for no other reason than that is what a good person should do.

I thought Remender's first Cap issue was just so-so.

It had some pretty nice Romita Jr. art and there were ideas and characters that were pretty fun but I was disappointed with how Rick went with the drunken wife beating dad cliché. It's just too easy to do and I also expected Arnim Zola to look less like his traditional self and veer more towards Ed Brubaker/Epting's Arnim which was dressed in all black and looked creepier.

I'd say the book was better than Iron Man but not as good as Thor.

6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by samson3191 View Post
    She stands up to him, though. That's the important part. That's how he learns to do the same for himself in the future, especially as the little weakling he was for so long.

I am quite honestly really suprised at all the uproar over that scene. It was very powerful and raw. Why does Cap have to grow up in such a perfect world and have perfect parents and evverything be so glossed over? Cap is Cap because he goes through any obstacle and comes out the same brave, heroic guy. Why can't this be the same when he's young, like having an alcoholic abusive dad? His mom clearly shapes him into a good man. It fleshes him out as a character a lot if you ask me.

If they didn't show the beating, it would COMPLETELY undermined the emotion and rawness of it all, especially the fact that his mom stood up to him. That's why its so powerful. You see her go through hell, uncensored and not glossed over, and she stands up to it. That, to me, is awesome.
    So you think Steve inherits his mums genes, or is it just Steve being shown by example?

If Remender is doing such a good job revisiting why Steve Rogers became Cap, I think it is worth Remender doing a 5 issue mini series like the Red Skull origin - Red Skull Incarnate. It would be more thorough if Steve Rogers was shown moving through a similar landscape from child to adolescent to adult, with a view of the heroism he shows with his illness, his being bullied, and his response to bullies as an adult. The Red Skull Johann Schmidt started as an orphan and rode out his orphanage in the wide world of a defeated Germany and the bitterness of it's power brokers. Subject that against Steve Rogers growing up in a family, maybe not typical but near enough to it under the circumstances of the Depression and the New Deal. Why did Johann stab his enemies, and why did Steve just keep getting back up and resisting the temptation to kill in response?
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Schatzie View Post
    I would rather aspire to an ideal that I may never achieve than relate to a failure. This is exactly why Captain America is my favorite character; he represents the American ideal, the type of person we should aspire to be - someone who does the right thing for no other reason than that is what a good person should do.
    Captain America is a throwback to days of holding doors open for women, not swearing, going to church and being god fearing. He is unbelievable. People don't relate to someone who has no faults. The best you can do for CA is to break him down and put him in situations where you learn what it is that makes him what he is. If we understood it better, we could see the truth and sincerity that he represents. As it is, he is too much apple pie and red white and blue.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Schatzie View Post
    Agreed, not every hero in Marvel has to be relatable.

I'm a huge Brubaker fan, but I thought this was one of the best Captain America comics in years.

Probably my second favorite comic this month behind the latest Savage Dragon.

JRJR drawing Arnin Zola? A match made in heaven. Great comic.

10/10.

Fantastic first issue. I have a feeling I'm really going to love to flashbacks to child Steve. And that last page with Cap & the baby alone in Dimension Z was perfection. 10/10 for me.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars 'N Stripes View Post
    Hope we see more of the Green Skull. He was a wonderfully hammy villain.
    Yeah, he was fun.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Yeah I agree The Green Skull was fun.Not your typical mastermind villain,that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by samson3191 View Post
    I am quite honestly really suprised at all the uproar over that scene. It was very powerful and raw. Why does Cap have to grow up in such a perfect world and have perfect parents and evverything be so glossed over? Cap is Cap because he goes through any obstacle and comes out the same brave, heroic guy. Why can't this be the same when he's young, like having an alcoholic abusive dad?
    He's a poor Irish kid growing up in the great depression, there are so many ways for his past to be bleak. There are so many ways we can see Sarah being tough and inspiring.

But they go for that old hackneyed abusive father angle that Marvel loves so much.

I think its brilliant that its Steve's mother that has all that influence on him, and really, I'd be okay if his dad had no influence over him at all. But the way they handled it? Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdulabulbul_Amir View Post
    He's a poor Irish kid growing up in the great depression, there are so many ways for his past to be bleak. There are so many ways we can see Sarah being tough and inspiring.

But they go for that old hackneyed abusive father angle that Marvel loves so much.

I think its brilliant that its Steve's mother that has all that influence on him, and really, I'd be okay if his dad had no influence over him at all. But the way they handled it? Awful.
    You said it perfectly & beautifully.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

That's a good point. When I read the issue and realized it was young Steve Rogers seeing his dad beat his mom, I was like "really?" Can anyone tell me if that's cannon? I think one thing about Cap that I enjoyed was he doesn't have any angst in his background. He didn't need any type of tragedy in his background to step up to the plate and respond to the great challenge of his era WW2. I want to let RR write his story before I criticize much more... but I'd hate for them to turn Cap into a "daddy issues" guy.

With that said-- let me say I've only read Cap off and on--I really enjoyed this book! Wow. It wasn't perfect, but wow, it hit pretty much all the high-notes I wanted to see in a comic-- perfectly paced, the right blend of action and thinking, the right blend of new and familiar-- this was great. I don't normally like JRjr art, but the colorist on the issue really helped by giving everything darker, more muted colors.

I complained about the potential for Cap turning into "Daddy Issues" but I think the back-story with Cap's father, combined with Cap getting a young kid to take care of will be interesting.

Okay... Lone Wolf and Cap! Let's do it! (Lone Wolf and Cub was one of my favorite manga series!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    This was a fun first issue and I fully agree with the call outs for more of the Green Skull.
    Although it was an enjoyable read, I found the shift into full sci-fi a bit jarring.
    Brubaker had done a great job bringing a greater sense of realism, spies and 'espionage thriller' to the title and, while I'm not against moving to a more fantasy science fiction tenor, the suddenness of it all threw me a bit.
    Yeah, this is my last issue of Cap.

I can't roll with a sci-fi Cap at all. I dropped the first arc of the Bru relaunch
    for the same reason.

I know the character has his roots in Kirby-esq sci fi, but I don't care.

My greatest enjoyment of Captain America has been when the book was a thriller.

I'm now only interested in a Cap that operats in the military espionage thriller genre
    just like I'm only interested in Daredevil as a Crime/Noir book.

Some characters fit certain genres better than others.

If I want a Sci-fi read, I'd look to the FF books.

Outside of Hulk, which character had abusive parents (I'm talking about ones that were raised in conventional family.
    Hawkeye, X-Men Legacy, FF, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Manhattan Projects, Fatale, East of West, Bedlam, Saga, Bandette, Nowhere Men

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

I also am suprised to see how much I liked Green Skull. Kind of hope he returns and that they explain why he adopted such a name. But a person who wants Mother Earth to survive by killing all humans? Sounds interesting.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!