Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ender vs Bean

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Your point being...?
    Point being I run into fans who typically say "Watch Season 1 of Heroes/Sliders only, it all goes downhill from there" and I find myself less disappointed by the later seasons then everyone else. Same with the prequel trilogy of Star Wars, the later Halo games, the later Kingdom Hearts games; the list goes on.

Then again, literary criticism really isn't my strong suit. The only sequel novel I ended up disliking to the point of not reading any further was the sequel to Eragon. If the writing style really dropped that much, I can't argue until I've read it. I just want to know more about Bean.

On-topic: Bean had more guts/nerve than Ender as a child. Ender awkwardly lashed out at people who treated him badly; Bean took control and even tried to muscle Ender into giving him more respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    Point being I run into fans who typically say "Watch Season 1 of Heroes/Sliders only, it all goes downhill from there" and I find myself less disappointed by the later seasons then everyone else. Same with the prequel trilogy of Star Wars, the later Halo games, the later Kingdom Hearts games; the list goes on.

Then again, literary criticism really isn't my strong suit. The only sequel novel I ended up disliking to the point of not reading any further was the sequel to Eragon. If the writing style really dropped that much, I can't argue until I've read it. I just want to know more about Bean.

On-topic: Bean had more guts/nerve than Ender as a child. Ender awkwardly lashed out at people who treated him badly; Bean took control and even tried to muscle Ender into giving him more respect.
    Ender didn't lash out awkwardly, he lashed out instinctively. He stomped a kid to death...knocked him down, put him on the curb, and systematically stomped him to death. That's not a spaz attack, that's that the act of a ruthless predator. Bean was capable, Ender was hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    Point being I run into fans who typically say "Watch Season 1 of Heroes/Sliders only, it all goes downhill from there" and I find myself less disappointed by the later seasons then everyone else. Same with the prequel trilogy of Star Wars
    You sound hard to disappoint. It must be nice.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Valliant View Post
    Ender didn't lash out awkwardly, he lashed out instinctively. He stomped a kid to death...knocked him down, put him on the curb, and systematically stomped him to death. That's not a spaz attack, that's that the act of a ruthless predator. Bean was capable, Ender was hard.
    Alright, but they were awkward junctions and exchanges. e wanted to avert future conflicts with Stilson, so he beat him up and had (IIRC) little reaction to it, not even realizing he'd killed him. This quiet, meek little boy just beat Dudley Dursley to death. Later, because he was getting kicked in the head, injured that kid in the space shuttle. Later, he fights Bonzo naked in the shower, and accidentally kills him. I think all of those scenes were pretty awkward in hindsight. That said, he'd probably wreck Bean in a fist-fight. Unless Bean was a better fighter in Ender's Shadow.

Between Bean and Ender, Ender is less gutsy because he didn't claw his way up the ranks intentionally. In a battle with toons, Bean was more intuitive early on - to the point where he knew how good he was and demanded to be promoted to toon leader - Ender on the other hand spent a good amount of time devising strategies early on and still having his team lose.

However, that's all under the assumption that "battle school version" would mean Ender and Bean before they were promoted to anything significant. Since the OP mentioned "Battle Bean", then pitted him against Ender and asked how he would have fared in Ender's place during the final battle of EG, I imagine that Bean probably had some decent feats of leadership/combat experience in Ender's Shadow, because otherwise, Bean never led a sizable force - and pitting him against "Commander Ender" would be ridiculously unfair without any actual experience leading an army, or kicking the shit out of some poor sap.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    You sound hard to disappoint. It must be nice.
    I consider it my only super power.

When you find out Card is a Mormon, it kind of puts the whole different planets for each nationality thing into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Xal View Post
    When you find out Card is a Mormon, it kind of puts the whole different planets for each nationality thing into perspective.
    When you find out he gives $ to nutty homophobic groups, it kind of leads you to buy his books used...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...