Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Death of Superman question

A secondhand shop nearby has a complete omnibus collection of the Death Of-World Without-Reign Of-Return Of series for $60.
    Is it worth getting? I know that's pretty decent value, but are the comics themselves worth reading?
    Thanks!
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

(sigh) It depends on your point of view really. Personally, I wouldn't bother. The whole Death-Return saga didn't appeal to me. But there are plenty who love it, so to each their own. I suppose when it first came out it was pretty massive so the first prints might be worth picking up for a bargain ... otherwise, I'm not so sure ... I don't think the tale itself has aged very well.

I'd say it's worth it. Death wasn't so hot, but it's cool enough to lead into Funeral, Reign, and Return which did build nicely to bigger and better.

I would recommend it. I thought the storyline (s) were interesting on a number of different levels.

I'd say no for a couple reasons. Firstly, the plot of the 'Death' portion of the story is wafer-thin. And secondly, from what I remember, the "omnibus" is missing portions of the story from the middle, anyway.

And if you need a third reason, it was printed on horrible paper. You're almost better off going for the original single issues. Believe it or not, most of those back issues go for about $1 and they are plenty easy to find, so it's probably cheaper to do it that way anyhow. And you won't have little pieces of the story edited out of it.

The "death" portion is just one big continuing slugfest from the JLA getting thrashed to superman fighting solo. Personally , it's the aftermath that was interesting.
    The funeral for a friend part after death was more down to earth as it examines the impact of superman's death on all his friends and family , just good storytelling , it is the emotional meat of the saga.
    Return of superman was good since it introduced the 4 characters that impacted superman titles for years after the event and of course , the destruction of coast city which pretty much spawned emerald twilght and the birth of parallax hal.
    Last edited by marshal99; 11-21-2012 at 01:30 AM.

It's worth reading for The Return of Superman which is fantastic.

That said, $60 sounds a little steep for a second hand book.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I'll add to the usual chorus of: 'Death' is pretty dumb, but 'Reign' & Funeral For A Friend' were pretty good.

Sure; go for it.

Gonna have to go against the grain here and say Death was at least entertaining, Return was far worse. I wouldn't bother with an omnibus at any rate, it wasn't a good enough storyline overall to warrant it.

I enjoyed all three parts of the story, but I think you should just get the individual trades for each one. The omnibus removes portions of the story and that's not good. The "World Without A Superman" trade actually adds in a couple of stories.

I read somewhere that DC was releasing a true Omnibus for the Death, Funeral, and Return story line in early 2013. It'll be $100 or so for 1000 pages and much better then the hacked up Omnibus that was released a few yrs ago.

Death of Superman Then Funeral then Reign of Supermenand it is a 1992 comic book storyline that occurred in DC Comics.

perfume sample

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    I read somewhere that DC was releasing a true Omnibus for the Death, Funeral, and Return story line in early 2013. It'll be $100 or so for 1000 pages and much better then the hacked up Omnibus that was released a few yrs ago.
    i hope it includes the Supergirl & Team Luthor #1 story in there. Even the trade I have of "A World Without Superman" is missing that story and it was a part of it.

The story is (more Funeral/Reign/Return than the actual death), but I have no idea if that particular collection is.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

At the time of release it was great and I waiting from wednesday to wednesday to find out what was next and the Reign of The Superman was thrilling after being without Supes for so long.
    Nowadays when u go back and read it again the Death storyline was pretty lame and the Funeral was drawn out but Reign is STILL top notch storytelling......even with the Super Mullet.